Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom
What does the I Ching think of itself? The subject goes far deeper than just "The Well, but that is a good starting point. The hexagram starts out defining the well as being in disrepair, but in line two the water is clear but not being used. In line three the well has been repaired, but it is not recognized for the value that it has. In terms of the I Ching itself, The I Ching is saying that its wisdom is not being used. Often when we contact the I Ching we recognize an immediate answer to our question, which sometimes is superficial but it is all we need, and we stop there. We are all so busy in our daily life that we have no interest in the wisdom involved, but only a quick and immediate answer to our question. The I Ching say that this is it's sorrow - that men or women do not take advantage of the life giving waters or the wisdom of the I Ching. With practice, the I Ching takes on a life of its own and shows a personality. When line 3 changes, we go to hexagram 29, the abyss, or the deep. This shows us that the wisdom is unfathomable. In H29, the superior man walks in lasting virtue and carries on the business of teaching. But in order to attain the value of the lesson, "we must have sincerity, and a right attitude toward the use of the I Ching." Then "whatever you do succeeds."
Gene
Gene