...life can be translucent

Menu

Troubles with the landlord: 42 -> 17

L

lilian

Hello all

With the move to another city, my long-term wish got true and I have my own art studio. The landlord is making troubles. To every polite question his reaction is attack. That's why I accepted immediately when offered a new shop. Since he knows that I'm leaving, it has gotten worse.

Since I just want to stay in peace until I leave, I asked the I Ging how to "handle" the situation and received hexagram 42, with lines 4 and 6 moving.

I'm not sure how this applies to my situation. I guess it says to undertake something, that the troubles would lead to increased awareness.
But what to undertake?

Especially with the lines 4 and 6 I would be glad for any help.

Thank you in advance
LiLian

C

candid

Hi Lilian,

Just as decrease is a time of holding back, so is increase a time of expression. This expression isn't to be used only for self-ish gain, but should really reach those for whom it was intended. In this sense, you are the medium who delivers the increase. Line 6 speaks to the consequences of withdrawing and keeping your increase to yourself.

Line 4 shows the way to do this. Buddha is said to have taught 'the middle path.' To walk in the middle is to be impartial to any special interest. Reporting to the Prince and he will follow. (Note that word, follow, as its your relating hexagram.) Wilhelm conveys the Prince as your superior. I see him as neither your superior or inferior. Cheng is eldest son and Sun is eldest daughter. I'd say Sun influences Cheng in this picture. Do you happen to have a good friend and confidant who you are able to speak freely with about what's going on? Someone with perhaps some authority?

When someone is in the right space to attract a following, its usually the last thing on their mind. So Yi says, chill and get some rest. Don't wear yourself out over it. You're on the right track.

Take care,
Candid

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Lilian,

Just a very quick fragment...

The most literal interpretation of line 4 is that it's about 'moving the capital city' - something ancient kings were obliged to do from time to time, often for political reasons. So to start with, this is hearty encouragement to move as soon as you can.

It also - at least according to Wu Jing Nuan - suggests that you keep the 'prince' informed in order to disarm his opposition. Wu thinks this is advice to the king, responsible for the move, to work on enlisting his subordinates' support. I would guess that the prince is the landlord, and that you're being advised to keep the lines of communication open to inspire greater trust. (This might go against a natural tendency to avoid him as much as you possibly can!) After all, he must want you to move out swiftly and smoothly, mustn't he?

Line 6 - definitely what not to do. I don't know how to apply this, unless you were considering trying to change your contract or any arrangements you've already made. That's the kind of inconsistency this line warns against, that cuts you off from the flow of Increase.

I hope you have much, much better luck with your next landlord!

pedro

visitor
Reaction score
About the middle way (madhyama) the theme is treated in an unusual number of lines. As far as I can dig, its on 11,2; 18,2; 19,5; 30,2; 40,2; 42,3 and 4; 43,2 and 63,2.
I guess the Yi is trying to make a point
happy.gif

Incidentally, the ideogram of 32, a heart and a boat between two shores, seems to me to convey the same meaning: steady the heart, dont let the boat drift to either shore but stick to the middle where you can flow naturally.
Buddha's middle way, as I understand it, is precisely developing the ability to not let our moods drift as a result of good or bad conditions, but to gain a dspassionate view over all things that allows to keep that natural stability. Both good and bad emotions are extremes that should be avoided (not sucumbing to bad things, but also not rejoycing on good ones)

C

candid

Pedro - Interesting how most of the examples you've sighted are the ruling lines of the hexagrams, usually 2 or 5.

One question: is it dispassion or compassion that leads one to the middle path? Maybe a combination of each? It seems to me that dispassion could lead to indifference whereas compassion connects to humanity. Maybe limitation (60) in each produces the desired affect in one's mind and heart.

To be candid, I've seemed to have misplaced my dispassion lately, possibly because I've lost sight of compassion. I'm not sure but seeing things from this haze, that's what it feels like. Sometimes I really hate feeling vulnerable and human. Maybe this is where dispassion enters in as a remedy?

bfireman

visitor
Reaction score
The Middle Way or Middle Path of Buddhism can surely be interpreted on many different levels. In the Heart Sutra, Buddha's discourse on emptiness, the middle path refers to not succumbing to either of the two extreme views of existence and non-existence. If one succumbs to the extreme view of existence, then one is apt to mistakenly identify every single thing that enters his/her mental framework as being real, that is separate, from himself. It is not difficult at all to look around and see examples of this. The other extreme view is that of non-existence. If one succumbs to this extreme view, then he is liable to walk off the edge of the cliff, because well, he just doesn't "believe" it exists. In Buddhism, both views are incorrect, stemming from ignorance of the true nature of mind. Personally, I see no difference in this concept than in the taoist idea of wuji to taiji. From "nothingness" to the grand interplay of yin/yang energies. Peace - Brian

bfireman

visitor
Reaction score
OK, can't resist... Listening to some Buddy Guy the other day who seems to understand the concept of the middle way on a different level. He sings: "One leg in the east, one leg in the west, right there in the middle, just trying to do my best.." Heh Heh - Brian

C

candid

Peace to you too, Brian. Excellent insight. Thank you.

Trying to do my best too,
Candid

L

lilian

Hi Candid and Hilary

Thank you very much for your immediate answers. I start to see more... also more possibilities...

A few weeks ago I started talking during lunchbreaks with my neighbour at the studio, a (illegal) employee of the landlord. I enjoy hearing about a foreign country I didn't know much about before. After my letter of notice - (what is the English expression when you notify someone you will be leaving?) - the landlord prohibited this guy to talk with me (!) and sent me a letter, nagging about several things. I know that I could take a stand and defend my rights - even until court. It's the last thing I want to do. It's also not worth the energy or the money. I also would be concerned, that the innocent man could be hurt more than me. Is that what Wilhelm is referring to in line 6: "someone strikes him"?

I think that the landlord probably feels threatened, thinking we are planning a conspiracy - which is absurd of course.

So the "middle way" would be to offer the landlord a compromise, yielding in some of his critisim, reassuring him clearly that I will not mix in his illegal activities? Of course I will also try to move as quickly as I can, to remove potential matter of conflict. So I will write him a letter, wrapped in the skin of a yellow cow, so to speak.

Please Candid, can you tell me more what you mean with:
>Cheng is eldest son and Sun is eldest daughter. I'd say Sun
>influences Cheng in this picture. Do you happen to have a
>good friend and confidant who you are able to speak freely
>with about what's going on? Someone with perhaps some
>authority?

Before you said, I would be the medium to deliver the increase. Is it still better to find a mediator?

Thanks again - both of your your comments gave me another insight in multiple moving lines. I thought of them as either a sequence or options. Now I see that they also can be a combination.

And Hilary, no worry about the new landlord, I couldn't wish for a better one!

Gratefully
LiLian

C

candid

Hi Lilian - Perhaps I was wrong in my interpretation. I saw the Prince in line 4 as a confidant, and possibly a friend of yours with authority or expertise in legal, social matters.

RE: Cheng under Sun. The hexagram 42 is made up of Sun (wind, influence) over Cheng (arousing, thunder) Since wind is influence, I thought the female receptive principle would influence the male active principle. That is, gentleness would win out over action.

RE: medium. Increase isn't only receiving increase, its providing increase also. The idea is that you receive from heaven, and in turn, provide increase to your audience. You did say, art gallery? If not your art, then whatever your increase is. The idea is to share it and thus, provide increase. You are then a conduit or medium of increase.

From Wilhelm: "This sort of intermediary, who also exercises a good influence on the leader, is especially important in times when it is a matter of great undertakings, decisive for the future and requiring the inner assent of all concerned."

Wishing you great good fortune,
Candid

L

lilian

Hi Candid

Thank you for your answer! I don't think you are wrong in your interpretation. I will think of a neutral person who can advise me on the details. Someone who is not emotionally involved in it.

The following sentence from your last post fell into my language chasm:
> When someone is in the right space to attract a following,
> its usually the last thing on their mind.
Would you mind saying it in other, maybe simpler words? As you noticed, I'm still learning English...

Thank you very much in advance
LiLian

C

candid

Hi Lilian,

Your relating hexagram is called, following. Its speaks to the idea of gaining a following as a noble idea. (As well as following another or others.) When someone has the right attitude, people tend to emulate or follow their example. But if someone desires to attain a following, their influence is impeded by their motive.

I think your English is excellent, by the way.
wink.gif

Candid

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).