Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom
Frankelmick
visitor
- Joined
- Jun 13, 1970
- Messages
- 305
- Reaction score
- 0
Hello everyone!
I've been getting to know the I Ching over the last 3 years and I'm looking to forward to meeting everyone in the Community here.
Apologies if I ramble on a bit but I recently finished reading "Let It Blurt: The Life And Times Of Lester Bangs" by Jim DeRogatis.
(Lester Bangs was a music critic, arguably the man who invented rock journalism as we know it).
Anyway, as I was reading the first few pages it struck me that the events on some of the pages seemed to correspond to the hexagram given by the page number. For example, page 7 has reference to the Army, page 8 talks about the family finding a friendly community, page 23 describes Lester's disdain for authority "breaking up" the entire class, page 24 describes the turning point in his early life and so on.
Now I would have dismissed all this as coincidence and my overactive imagination were it not for this quote from Lester on page 37:
"As was my wont at the time, I threw the I Ching to find out which drug I should take."
I was startled but then I thought, "Well perhaps I'd unconsciously noticed the reference to the I Ching and that made me notice the chance references."
Then I thought again. The I Ching is not mentioned anywhere else in the book so I started to look at how hx 37 might represent the I Ching.
I remembered a reading (from Hexagram-8 mailing list) where Hilary had asked about the difference between the I Ching and dream interpretation and received the answer hx 37 (changing to hx 63 if I remember rightly?).
At the time I suggested that perhaps hx 37 was a reference to the family of trigrams?
Has anyone else got any thoughts about hx 37 and how it might represent the I Ching? And has anyone else had a similar experience reading a book which they thought had nothing to do with the I Ching?
Best wishes,
Mick
http://www.north-node.com/
I've been getting to know the I Ching over the last 3 years and I'm looking to forward to meeting everyone in the Community here.
Apologies if I ramble on a bit but I recently finished reading "Let It Blurt: The Life And Times Of Lester Bangs" by Jim DeRogatis.
(Lester Bangs was a music critic, arguably the man who invented rock journalism as we know it).
Anyway, as I was reading the first few pages it struck me that the events on some of the pages seemed to correspond to the hexagram given by the page number. For example, page 7 has reference to the Army, page 8 talks about the family finding a friendly community, page 23 describes Lester's disdain for authority "breaking up" the entire class, page 24 describes the turning point in his early life and so on.
Now I would have dismissed all this as coincidence and my overactive imagination were it not for this quote from Lester on page 37:
"As was my wont at the time, I threw the I Ching to find out which drug I should take."
I was startled but then I thought, "Well perhaps I'd unconsciously noticed the reference to the I Ching and that made me notice the chance references."
Then I thought again. The I Ching is not mentioned anywhere else in the book so I started to look at how hx 37 might represent the I Ching.
I remembered a reading (from Hexagram-8 mailing list) where Hilary had asked about the difference between the I Ching and dream interpretation and received the answer hx 37 (changing to hx 63 if I remember rightly?).
At the time I suggested that perhaps hx 37 was a reference to the family of trigrams?
Has anyone else got any thoughts about hx 37 and how it might represent the I Ching? And has anyone else had a similar experience reading a book which they thought had nothing to do with the I Ching?
Best wishes,
Mick
http://www.north-node.com/