...life can be translucent

Menu

Buying a used car

Grandma

visitor
Reaction score
I need to buy a new car asap cause my daughter is moving and taking our car.
I found a couple station wagon in the local pennysaver
1 is a volvo I got 56.1.5-13
which seems good to me. Travieling for a car seems good and 13 seems good also
for a saab I got 32.1.3.6-38 which didn't seem aspositive
if I should look at more than these two I got 44.2-33
I think the volvo sounds ok.
Any help would be great. Thanks

B

bruce_g

If applied directly to the question: The Volvo carries many passengers (13), but I’d be concerned about line 1, as it may imply “nickel and diming” you for small repairs. Also, 56 could suggest it has high mileage. Line 5 may suggest prestige. I have to chuckle at Wilhelm’s commentary in line 5: “Circumstances often cause a man to seek a home in foreign parts.” But this also would cause me concern that the Volvo is in need of many small repairs, even though it’s only an out of context commentary. I’d pass on it, to base the decision solely on the reading.

I think the readings in general are speaking to the sense of urgency you are feeling in regard to solving this. When passion is involved, reasoning weakens. For example, even considering buying a car based on an advertisement can lead you down a regretful road.

I’d slow down, and then go ‘wander’ around lots and investigate options more carefully. Buy nothing without a good test drive, and preferably with an inspection from a qualified mechanic. Have any mechanic 13s?

Grandma

visitor
Reaction score
Bruce, thanks for helping. I did note that also about the foreign parts and wondered the same thing. I also thought the last reading was talking about my rushing. I can't bellieve you got the high mileage with the volvo tho, it has 90k.
Of course I would test drive and send to the mechanic. I just started using a new mechanic who seems nice. not sure what it means if they are 13s, One of the mechanics is from El Salvador the other ecador or something like that, they seem very nice. Oh this is funny their garage name has Prestige in it. Maybe that means I would be taking this car to the mechanics often?
What does a good test drive mean?
I guess I better put more effort into this and be patient.

B

bruce_g

Susan,

I meant mechanic friends by ‘mechanic 13s’ (hexagram 13). These guys sound friendly enough.

A good test drive is, I guess, a subjective call. For me it means driving the vehicle in town and on the highway, running through gears, listening for odd noises or inconsistencies; things like that. No drive around the block tests.

Another thing I hope to have when searching out used wheels: service records. Just knowing the rig has had its oil changed every 3,000 miles tells a lot about its condition.

Good luck on your search. You can improve your odds but there’s still luck involved.

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi susan,
Hex 56.1 seems to suggest that when you go to meet the owner of the Volvo you should be very careful about how you present yourself. Don't sound too eager, don't show that you really want the car. Act reserved and don't ask stupid non important questions.
Hex 56.5 seems to suggest that if you do buy the car then you will win praise.
Hex 13 fellowship with people, to bring people together, You should seek help and advice from others who are willing to help, ie people on this site, car mechanics, people of a like mind.

The Saab looks very bad, avoid.

The last two cars 44.2.>33 are no good either (33 retire, withdraw, keep away from these two cars).

That only leaves the Volvo but have it checked out very carefully, its been around for quite a while.

Grandma

visitor
Reaction score
Brad, I made a mistake the garages name is Precision not prestige.

Thanks for the advice, I didn't go see the volvo today and now I have to wait for them to get back from the weekend, but I probably wouldn't have gone on the highway w/o your advice so now I will. It's an automatic so I don't have to try the gears. It's had a new transmission, I wonder if that showed up in the reading?
Willow, my last question was should I look at cars other tahn these two, so maybe that only leaves the volvo? I think when I called the owner I made some dumb jokes which might have been what 56.1 was about, he didn't seem to get them so I think, yeah I should act really "straight" and reserved with this guy and keep to the subject at hand.
If I buy a car right now I will win praise from my daughter, that's for sure as she is anxious. I'm concerned if it's a good car, I guess the reading isn't steering me away form this car though? Sounds like I should take it to the mechanics at this point.

B

bruce_g

Hi Susan,

I’m Bruce, not Brad. Brad is the smart one.

I wouldn’t base a large purchase solely on a reading I received. Instead, I’d measure the reading against my temperament, because if my temperament is correct I’m more likely to make a good decision over a bad one. Not saying the Yi can’t or won’t give clues about the circumstances surrounding the item in question; I think it can and possibly has in this case.

It’s a bummer when your joke doesn’t go over, isn’t it? :bag:

The reading aside, I’m sure you already know that Volvo makes a great automobile. That said, the parts and repairs on that sort of vehicle can go through the roof. 90k miles really isn’t too bad for a Volvo wagon that’s been serviced regularly by the past owner(s) and not abused, depending of course on the year and price. I’d ask about the reason for the new transmission, how the original one blew: was it used for towing? Check to see if it has a tow hitch or sign of one taken off. A tow bar on a station wagon generally isn’t a good sign. And I’d ask if the transmission was new or rebuilt and by whom (receipts if possible). Also check the interior for any signs of flooding. Here in the southwest, there’ve been quite a few which were brought up from the Katrina disaster, to be sold for a quick buck.

Good luck with it.

Grandma

visitor
Reaction score
Sorry Bruce.

Well the owner said that his wife went off the dirt road near where they live and that is the problem w/ the transmission. He said his wife used it to drive the kids to school. On the other hand she put 80k on it . He said he changed the oil regularly and they are just selling cause they had too many cars. It's a wealthy area and his address is a good one , so that is probably the truth. Am concerned about the "foreign parts" though. But I thought that 56 was good for a car- the traveler, no fixed abode. Don't really get 5 as positive though. got to re read it.
My jokes are always bad but I tell them anyway--he said a woman was looking at the car to put her dogs in it. I said just put them in it, not take them anywhere. (Sounds even worse in black and white)

B

bruce_g

susan said:
I said just put them in it, not take them anywhere. (Sounds even worse in black and white)

Hey, I think that's funny!

I wouldn't worry about "foreign parts". Where you're looking seems pretty foreign to you, not something you're used to doing.

Sounds like honest folks who have taken pretty good care of it. Trans story sounds resonable. Worth a look/see.

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi Susan,

at the moment the Volvo is certainly the only car worthy of consideration and I still believe that Hex 56.5 suggests that it is a good deal. "With a single shot (decision) she buys the car, she finds a home in a foreign car and thus wins praise and employment".

Grandma

visitor
Reaction score
Bruce, thanks for thinking that was funny.
Willow, oh that's sounds good the way you put it. I think it was the first ad I really noticed that fit my budget and was a wagon. They are asking 7,7k for it . But might go down.
I'll take it for a test drive when they get back from the weekend.
Thanks. It sounds nice too, blue w/ tan interior.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).