...life can be translucent

Menu

Cast the same hexagram twice

dickydoo

visitor
Reaction score
I've been really confused about this girl -- I don't know her that well but I have very strong feelings for her. I've not taken any action partly because I'm not sure of her reaction -- usually I only take action if I know there is interest on their part. The other reason is I haven't felt this strongly about someone in a long while and I'm scared of screwing it up. Last week I was sure she was the one, and know I don't know anymore.

I casted the same hexagram twice in 2 days. The first time, I only focused on her in general with no question in my mind. The second time I asked whether I should take action and spill my guts to her. Here was the result:

56.6 > 62

I can make no sense of it. Can anyone help me interpret this?

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
About the girl in general:
56. The Wanderer.
...is clear minded and cautious
In imposing penalties,
And protracts no lawsuits.

Seems to me she wouldn't bite you if you said hello.

About taking action and just spilling your guts:
The bird's nest burns up.
The wanderer laughs at first,
Then must needs lament and weep.
Through carelessness he loses his cow.
Misfortune.

Several possibilities come to mind...
Time's a wasting. If you don't take action soon, this opportunity will pass you by. You might not think that's too tragic now, but later you may realize you let something very nice slip away.
Or...
You go out together and make a total fool of yourself causing her to lose all respect for you.
Or...
You spill your guts to her, telling her not only how you feel but also revealing all your tragic flaws, again causing her to lose interest.
Or...
You take the I Ching's advice and don't wait any longer to strike up a conversation, being very conscientious (62) about not trying to go too far too fast, but just taking it one small step at a time.

Good luck with this adventure!
Rosada

Last edited:
C

cjgait

I'd say go for it

The Nanjing line is 5, not six, so we ignore the changing line and use the judgement of 56. The marriage omen for gua 56, main text is: The day to celebrate is coming soon.

Sounds to me like you should go for it.

dickydoo

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks...

...this lifts a huge weight off my chest. I've been getting mixed signals from her and I wasn't sure whether to keep trying or move on. I've never heard of the Nanjing method but in the end the reading is the same -- keep trying in small steps. I've always known this was the way to go from other readings, but it's been really tough to not burst out and try to make it move faster lately.

C

cjgait

The Nanjing method, described elsewhere in this forum, is just a way to bring the reading down to a single text. The omen texts come from a Chinese edition of the Yi I have. Very handy. Each text has readings for medicine, legal disputes, marriage, etc.

mudpie

visitor
Reaction score
ahhh are u willow fox an alter ego of taras balderdash aka c gaits? I dont see anywhere on that site any info about nanjing method? u must have insider trade news

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
I was searching for information about this nanjing method on google and only came up with the taras balderdash site.

This is what it says on google,
I want a version that uses coin divination as its algorithm and then picks a single text by using the Nanjing method. Volunteers, please see me for details. ...

When I opened the site this morning the guy was mumbling on about the nanjing method but I have looked again and can't find it now. Yes, I have alter egos but not the ones that you mentioned. I am afraid that my insider information has been cut off now that somebody is watching.

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
Found this on google;

During 1920s a group of young scholars in Nanjing formed a Yijing research group . They based their conclusions on the stories of divination found in Zuo Commentary and came out with the following rules.

The xiang numbers (9,8,7 and 6) obtained by the yarrow method in the hexagram are added together, the total subtracted from 55 (the sum of 1 to 10). Since the total of these xiang numbers lie between 36 (6x6) and 54 (9x6), the remainders from 55 are any numbers between 1and 19. They then came out with this reference table below. [ See R. Rutt for more details]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nanjing Rule of Oracle selection

Remainder from 55 ******** Line of Hexagram

6 7 18 19 | 6 (top)
5 8 17 | 5
4 9 16 | 4
3 10 15 | 3
2 11 14 | 2
1 12 13 | 1 (bottom)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How are the oracles read:

If Base Hexagram : Oracle Read:
1) Lines all stable Hexagram Statement
2) Lines all changeable Convert and read New Hexagram Statement
3) Indicated line changeable Line Statement of Base Hexagram
4) Indicated line stable See Cases below:

Item 4 cases

Changeables less than 3 Read Base Hexagram
Changeables equal to 3 Change all lines and Read Both Hexagrams
Changeables equal to 4,5 Form and Read New Hexagram

Clarity,
Office 17622,