as it's shift work and the new one would be
Mon-Fri days only)...

My answer was Hex. 46 changing in
lines 3,4,5.
and the secondary hex. was 47.

I took this as very positive, thinking the secondary
hexagram might represent my present dissatisfaction
and the first hexagram meaning a job offer,
I'm now waiting anxiously for (hopefully) the offer.

Could I be wrong in my interpretation ? Can anyone
tell me how they would have read this ?

Best regards,

John.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi the way you see the answer here depends alot on whether you want to see the 47 as background, your situation now or how things will be. Actually either way if I had this reading I'd think hard about this one. Maybe a situation of easy progress (line3) you get the job but for some reason it really wears you down and you feel trapped by it. Maybe the new job requires you learn alot of new things which will take time and you find that heavy going ? I could be wrong, if your instincts are that the 47 refers to your situation now then go with that. Just offering another way to look at it. :)

jocho711

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks Trojan,

This is probably the first time I've used I Ching for
something quite important to me.
Do most people generally see the secondary
hexagram as the evolving/future of the situation
or as the 'sea the first hexagram swims in'
(read that somewhere)...and how can you tell ?

Thanks, John.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Trojan,

Thanks, John.

Hmm I have to backtrack on what I said a little, if I sound contradictory its cos I'm still evolving on this one :D I think sometimes what the hexagram 'swims in' and the 'evolving future' aren't so far apart, in fact are inextricably linked. Still I do tend when looking at an answer to try to sense an 'order of events' if you like, and now I generally just sense it intuitively. Mostly i think its your first response.

If you have been feeling really down about your current job then it would seem more likley its the backgound to the question. Still you must have a doubt about the new job or you wouldn't ask.

FWIW line 3 of 46 always plays out for me as something pretty easily attained that turns out to be of not much value, an empty city. Maybe if you get the job it would be a good idea to look at it with a cynical eye about what they are really offering you ?

Another way to see your answer might be the interview seemed to go well but you are not successful and feel unhappy about it. If this happens you can at least comfort yourself with the job wasn't so good as it looked !

Let us know if you get it and what you decide.

L

lightofreason

Thanks Trojan,

Thanks, John.

(1) I would also suggest using the questions method since this is important to you:

http://members.iimetro.com.au/~lofting/myweb/lofting/icplusEProact.html

(2) the dynamic of 46 into 47, regardless of the local context to which it is applied, can be read as:

with/from entangling comes enclosing (being penned-in)

If we review the hexagrams from the structural sequence (binary ordering of hexagrams) then 46 covers the sense of wanting to get more entangled with some one/organisation etc. (in a REALLY generic form it covers issues of cultivating (sharing time with another/others) in which is operating issues of absolute trust in another/others. Emotionally the foundations cover anticipation (be it of right or wrong doing) and the text covers fear that is turned into devotion to others (we get protection from the group).

47 covers being penned-in, either willingly or not. The analogy is to a tree being fenced-in and so driving the roots deep. What THAT covers is the forcing of the tree to integrate with the context. The positive side is thus an act of cooperation in being willing to integrate with the context 'deeply'. The negative side of this is covering the loss of freedom where the commitment can lead to frustration, feeling of being imprisoned etc and so causing 'stress'.

Emotionally we have issues of passion in a context covering issues of rejection. (the passion is in the intense expression of lake in top position, reflection (literal and metaphoric, of self)). The rejection/rejecting issues are in the protective aspect of water.

If we focus purely on the properties of hexagrams then lines 3,4,5 are 'ruled' by hexagram 31 and so a focus on 'wooing', on being enticed or being enticing all in a cooperative context.

Thus the 31-ness of 46 is described by analogy to 47. What THAT 'says' is that the cooperative enticement nature of 46 (its 31-ness) is described by a focus on being enclosed (and so indicating the positive form of 47 -- or perhaps the 'bondage' side of wooing?!)

(we note that 31 pairs with 33 and both cover general notions of enticement - one cooperative (31), the other competitive (33))

Chris.

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
Hex 46.3 says there are no obstructions to you getting the the new job, so don't worry about it.

Hex 46.4 says you will get the job.

Hex 46.5 says don't take shortcuts, slow and steady progress, watch the details and you feel have success.

Hex 47 seems to refer to your current position telling you that when you are faced with adversity and general unpleasant conditions that you don't like just keep persevering and just wait for a better opportunity to come, then you will find success in the end. A case of grin and bear it.

jocho711

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks Willowfox,

I really appreciate your very encouraging reply.
Hope I get word soon.

Best regards,
John.

jocho711

visitor
Reaction score
Job Interview - Conclusion.

Dear Friends,

Thank you for your help interpreting my I-Ching
casting in relation to this job interview.

I didn't get the position...which may or may not
be a bad thing. Time will tell.

I'm now kind of mulling over the reading I got and
looking at how to interpret future readings in light
of it. It seems my reading should have told me I
wouldn't be successful and this is the 'oppressive'
situation I'm now in .

What I'm wondering now (as a newcomer to I-Ching)
is how likely it is I'll be able to better interpret
answers in future ?
I think maybe as soon as hexagram 46 appeared
with it's talk of promotion I may have let my gut/
emotions into the driver seat, then there was the
choice of whether the second hexagram was the
present conditions or the outcome, and again, maybe
it was hope and emotion that made me deliberately
choose to see it as the present.

Another factor is that I originally cast two hexagrams
(Can't remember exact outcomes) asking whether I
should or shouldn't apply for the job, and the
answer seemed a clear yes.

Thanks again for all of your help with the interpretations,

John.

L

lightofreason

I'm now kind of mulling over the reading I got and
looking at how to interpret future readings in light
of it. It seems my reading should have told me I
wouldn't be successful and this is the 'oppressive'
situation I'm now in .

if you want consistancy - dont use random/miraculous methods. simole. :)

Did you use the questions method I suggested? It is usually more consistant but requires some honesty in that one can 'see things coming' and so be tempted to 'guide' the situation with staged answers.

Since the whole we unconsciously work with covers the ALL of the I Ching but what we are consciously aware of it but a part, the use of random/miraculous methods can be deceiving; when we ask a question ALL 64 hexagrams are applicable but are sorted into best-fit/worst-fit order by the local context - where even the worst fit is open to manipulation and will be considered 'meaningful'.

The traditional perspective is the derived hexagram is the 'best fit' where the case is more that it can be the best fit but not every time (the use of random/miraculous methods makes the consistant derivation of the best fit akin to predicting snow in the sahara as a daily activity rather than as an extreme, rare, probability that it is)

To appreciate the I Ching in its full spectrum form, one needs to understand the Science behind the Art, just as the Art behind the Science; given current work in neurosciences, psychology etc etc we are now in a position to cover all of this and so bring the I Ching into the 21st century.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Another way to see your answer might be the interview seemed to go well but you are not successful and feel unhappy about it. If this happens you can at least comfort yourself with the job wasn't so good as it looked !

I think the important thing to take from the reading is now not to sink into despondency, thats the most important message of 47 here. I do think the job looked like more than it really would ever have given you and as i said above I felt 46,3 pointed to this. Still don't berate yourself for thinking your answer meant you would get the job, this answer could also easily be interpreted that way and 46 does look like such a bright shiny hexagram. I reckon its likley you did a very good interview, thats where the 46 came in but someone just pipped you to the post.

What I want to stress though is that I reckon 47 does not mean you are in an oppressive situation just that you feel it, you lost hope a bit. Don't let this get you down, the right job for you will come when its right :)

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).