...life can be translucent

Menu

"The Question" questions

_notan_

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I am a beginer with a few questions regarding forming questions for Yi.

First, forming the question: how important it is? Some people seem to think it is very important, to the point where they insist that you write the question down so as not to forget the details of how the question was asked. Other people seem to be OK with just doing a reading on a subject that is rather vaguely defined, and letting the Yi's response indicate which specific part of the larger issue is being addresed. What are your feelings on this?

Forming the question: what sort of question are we asking here? I have read Hillary's beginers guide, but it left me wanting more on this subject.

In the Shared Readings forum, I see a lot of threads where people are asking several questions about the same issue- each question comming from a different angle. I guess that there is a fine line between asking for clarification, and asking for a different response, and I'm having a hard time locating that line. Can anyone share examples of questions that are close to that line, but acceptable (in your experience)? Obviously, if you are asking multiple questions, you need narrowly defined questions rather than vague questions, right?

-tb

M

meng

I'm not one who believes the Yi slaps your face for being persistent with a line of questioning. That said, I think it's important that you are keeping track of and are responsive to the answers, and are piecing them together, not just continuing with questions without regarding the answers you've already received. That's asking for a whack on the tush and being sent away to think about what you've done.

Clear and open ended questions serve to focus but it's best to remain open, since your question may not be an entirely informed one.

Let's say I'm going fishing the next morning, and I ask "How productive will fishing be on the south end of the lake?" I receive 23-51. Huh? Then on the way to the lake a big storm comes up, making launching my boat too dangerous. ahh ha, now the reading makes sense, because now I'm better informed.

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
After reading a *lot* of questions and the responses they drew in the Shared Readings Forum here over the years, it seems to me that the precise wording of the question isn't as important as I used to think it was, because the Yi seems to address itself to the SITUATION being enquired about, rather than to the precise wording of the question. So for instance:

* What do I need to know about buying this house?

* Is it a good idea to buy this house?

* What do I need to beware of if I buy this house?

* My wife and I have been saving our money for 15 years and we're looking for a good place to invest it, and this house purchase opportunity has come up. Would it be a good way to invest our money, or should we wait?

The Yi's gonna give you the same result for all these questions and it's going to center on the situation of 'buying the house'. It's got to the point with me where if I enquire about a particular things like the house buying example, I just say to the oracle with a question intonation: "Buying the house?"

crystal_blue

visitor
Reaction score
Hi, tb. Are you thinbuddha from AeclecticTarot?
- :)

First, forming the question: how important it is? Some people seem to think it is very important, to the point where they insist that you write the question down so as not to forget the details of how the question was asked. Other people seem to be OK with just doing a reading on a subject that is rather vaguely defined, and letting the Yi's response indicate which specific part of the larger issue is being addresed. What are your feelings on this?

Why ask a question at all? Why not let the coins fall where they must, and note ones reactions to the patterns they form?

Sparhawk

One of those men your mother warned you about...
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
After reading a *lot* of questions and the responses they drew in the Shared Readings Forum here over the years, it seems to me that the precise wording of the question isn't as important as I used to think it was, because the Yi seems to address itself to the SITUATION being enquired about, rather than to the precise wording of the question.

IMO, to a certain extent, yes, I think you are correct. OTOH, you must remember that there is a very important piece of the puzzle missing from most, if not all, of those threads: The follow up confirmation of the omens. So, who's to say the questions and/or the interpretations were formulated correctly? Too many loose ends, really.

So, I still think there must be a certain structure to the questions posed to the Yi.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Mm. Yi might give the same answer to all those questions, but will the questioner have an equally clear idea in each case of what the answer's actually saying or doing?

To my mind, that's the purpose of a well-defined question. It has nothing to do with communicating the situation to Yi unambiguously, and everything to do with setting one's own thinking and expectations straight. You're trying to avoid the situation of looking at an answer and saying,
'Now, if that's what will happen if I buy it, it would mean this... but if it's how I should behave in negotiations to be sure of getting the house, it would mean that...'

You're already getting a reading to interpret - better not to be interpreting your own mind/intention to yourself at the same time.

Why ask a question at all? Why not let the coins fall where they must, and note ones reactions to the patterns they form?
Because sometimes I'm biased, and need to make the question unambiguous, to keep myself from interpreting patterns just to support my own assumptions.

At other times, though (because sometimes I'm completely blind to whole areas I need to ask about) it's good to ask with no question.

_notan_

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, tb. Are you thinbuddha from AeclecticTarot?
- :)

I am the same thinbuddha.

Is your question about consulting without a question serious? Actually, it's not that bad an idea, but for me, I prefer to at least have a subject to read on (I'm the same with tarot).

crystal_blue

visitor
Reaction score
Is your question about consulting without a question serious? Actually, it's not that bad an idea, but for me, I prefer to at least have a subject to read on (I'm the same with tarot).

You'll have a subject, whether you ask a question or not - you'll (fail to) associate the patterns with the issue going on in your life, and there's insight in studying that process.

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
To Luis and Hilary: exactly. The question's more for clear thinking on the part of the questioner. Until the questioner knows that. At which point, 'buying the house?' is great.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).