Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom
I wrote in an earlier thread about someone I tried very hard to save from their chaos. While this person battled their addiction, they dragged me under with them.
Today this person said to me: "You were right, about everything we fought about. I'm sorry I couldn't see it because of my addiction. I'm working the 12 steps now... and I came to the step about making amends. I'm so sorry for all the chaos I added to your life. What can I do to make it up to you?"
All I said at the time was, "Thank you for saying that to me. I'll need to think about it."
I asked the oracle for advice: "what is morally equitable for me to do to have this person's amends in my life?" and got 38.3,4 (opposition) > 26 (taming power of the great).
Here is the way I interpret the reading. 38.3 warns to endure suffering on behalf of the right person, but not on behalf of the wrong person. 38.4 says that after isolation, one meets a person with a positive, heartfelt connection. 26 describes winning the day because one has strength of character.
I think this means: quit looking to give more to a person who is still struggling to battle their addiction and inner demons. Don't get involved in that fight. Leave it to this person, their program and sponsor. When I withdraw from this person, I make room in my life to meet more constructive people. These new people will be positive influences for me from the start. The new people will have good character, it will be easy to get along well with them, and this will lead to enduring success between me and them.
I think I should tell the 12 stepper, "To make amends, please just don't introduce any more of your chaos into my life. The restoration I need will come when I get to spend me time with people who are already healthy. I wish you success in your recovery, but I shouldn't try to be part of it any more."
I risk that 38.4 says the isolation was because the 12-stepper is really a good person, but their goodness couldn't be reached because of all the problems. When the problems are gone, this very person will be the wonderful inspiring connection worth investing in (38.3) because of how they build me up (26). But I don't think so. I think I'm being told to cut my losses. This is hard for someone who really wants to be loyal.
This whole topic is a major concern for me, so I would welcome further perspectives.
Today this person said to me: "You were right, about everything we fought about. I'm sorry I couldn't see it because of my addiction. I'm working the 12 steps now... and I came to the step about making amends. I'm so sorry for all the chaos I added to your life. What can I do to make it up to you?"
All I said at the time was, "Thank you for saying that to me. I'll need to think about it."
I asked the oracle for advice: "what is morally equitable for me to do to have this person's amends in my life?" and got 38.3,4 (opposition) > 26 (taming power of the great).
Here is the way I interpret the reading. 38.3 warns to endure suffering on behalf of the right person, but not on behalf of the wrong person. 38.4 says that after isolation, one meets a person with a positive, heartfelt connection. 26 describes winning the day because one has strength of character.
I think this means: quit looking to give more to a person who is still struggling to battle their addiction and inner demons. Don't get involved in that fight. Leave it to this person, their program and sponsor. When I withdraw from this person, I make room in my life to meet more constructive people. These new people will be positive influences for me from the start. The new people will have good character, it will be easy to get along well with them, and this will lead to enduring success between me and them.
I think I should tell the 12 stepper, "To make amends, please just don't introduce any more of your chaos into my life. The restoration I need will come when I get to spend me time with people who are already healthy. I wish you success in your recovery, but I shouldn't try to be part of it any more."
I risk that 38.4 says the isolation was because the 12-stepper is really a good person, but their goodness couldn't be reached because of all the problems. When the problems are gone, this very person will be the wonderful inspiring connection worth investing in (38.3) because of how they build me up (26). But I don't think so. I think I'm being told to cut my losses. This is hard for someone who really wants to be loyal.
This whole topic is a major concern for me, so I would welcome further perspectives.