...life can be translucent

Menu

The line with the longest text in I Ching: 38.6

Do you agree with me?

• Do you agree on the text translation?

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Do you agree on my explanation?

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Do you agree on my analysis from the respective in viewing the image and the line characteristic?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do you accept Chow I to be explained from Confucian viewpoint?

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

tuckchang

visitor
Reaction score
Hi! Every body,
This is my first post. I would like to share my understanding of line 6 / hexagram Kui (38) with you and kindly ask for your comment.

The original meaning of Kui is 'people do not see each other directly' due to not getting along well; its common annotation in I Ching's writings in China is: alienation due to different thoughts or positions etc.; in Confucius’s remarks to the hexagram text, it suggests trying to find common points to achieve reconciliation if alienation inevitably exists.

The text of line 6 is literally translated according to my comprehension as follows:
Kui (alienation) alone; seeing a pig painted with mud on its back, (and) a cart fully loaded with ghosts; to draw the bow first, (but) to relax it later. It is not a robbery but a wedding; it is auspicious if it encounters the rain when it goes forth.
My explanation:
Alienation reaches the extreme and feels alone; seeing a pig painted with mud on its back and a cart fully loaded with ghosts; to draw the bow first but to put it aside later. Actually the counterpart has no alienation intent but proposes alliance. It is auspicious if it goes forth and encounters the rain, i.e. once reconciliation is reached. All suspicions and corresponding activities are due to insufficient trust.
The masculine line 6 is on top of Kui and alienation reaches the extreme, i.e. reconciliation seemingly appears impossible to reach. It feels lonely although it correlates with the feminine line 3. Actually this is only suspicion and assumption like seeing a pig painted with mud on its back; drawing the bow and ready to shoot but there comes a cart fully loaded with ghosts (i.e. an illusion only). The feminine line 3 is friendly and it is auspicious once they are mated; once the masculine and the feminine mate, it becomes rain.

From the prospective in viewing its images: The inner upper trigram Kan (the abyss, water) is the pig and can also refer to a cart fully loaded with ghosts, as Kan is the wheel and it is one masculine line covered by two feminine lines; in China the feminine is taken for a place after death and also the ghost; thus, herein Kan presents a cart fully loaded with ghosts and only the wheel remaining visible. Kan is the bow and the upper trigram Li (clinging, fire) is the arrow; the arrow is charged on the bow but the arrow has not been shot yet. Kan is the bandit as well. The phenomena mentioned above exist between lines 6 and 3.

A more impressive picture of this text can be obtained from the history of 'The Restoration of Shao Kang 少康'. Shao Kang is one of the kings of Hsia 夏 Dynasty: 2200 to 1760 B.C, i.e. two dynasties before Chow 周. His father, Hsiang (相) was chased out and killed by rebel courtiers. At that time, his mother had already conceived him and fortunately fled back to her family tribe where she gave birth to Shao Kang. The rebels had always tried to locate Shao Kang in order to completely root out the Hsia influence. Therefore after Shao Kang grew up, he fled to the Yu Yu (有虞) Tribe and sought asylum. Among the Yu Yu, he married the daughter of the chieftain and got ten square kilometers of land. Thereafter Shao Kang secretly summoned people still loyal to Hsia and gathered five hundred warriors. Day and night, he drilled his troops and prepared to recover Hsia. In 2079 B.C. Shao Kang launched his military reprisal and succeeded in defeating the rebels, recovering the throne and re-establishing the Hsia dynasty.
A pig painted with mud on the back and a cart fully loaded with ghosts are what Shang Kang (少康) had seen on the night when he was on the way to the Yu Yu tribe. Seemingly he felt alone and was full of misgivings as he came to an alien place, i.e. as to whether the people there were friendly or hostile, and his fate life or death; all was unknown. All that had been seen were suspicion and mistrust due to alienation. He was worried and nervous, as well as vigilant; therefore he drew the bow and relaxed it. However, the outcome is auspicious, as the chieftain wedded his daughter to him.

The cause and effect of this text is indicated in Confucius's remarks to its phenomenon: The auspiciousness of encountering the rain, (signifying that) all suspicions are gone.
Once the masculine line 6 and the feminine line 3 exchange positions and mate, i.e. becoming rain, the inner upper trigram Kan which signifies ‘to worry about’, disappears, i.e. the rain flushes out all suspicions.

If you are interested in the analysis of the image and the line, you are kindly invited to visit my newly established website: www.iching123.com 'The Basic Concepts'.

Best regards
Tuck :bows:

Sparhawk

One of those men your mother warned you about...
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Tuck, welcome.

Would you please provide more bibliographical information about "The Restoration of Shao Kang"?

Thanks!

tuckchang

visitor
Reaction score
Hi ! Sparhawk,

You can find lots of Chinese historical stories at http://edu.ocac.gov.tw/ocac_ebook/index.htm.
The restoration of Shao Kang is located at:
category > three dynasties (the last one of the 1st column)> the restoration of Shao Kang (the 4th one).
Hope you can enjoy.

Regards
Tuck

Sparhawk

One of those men your mother warned you about...
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, Tuck,

That's a great reference to have.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
A pig painted with mud on the back and a cart fully loaded with ghosts are what Shang Kang (少康) had seen on the night when he was on the way to the Yu Yu tribe.
This detail is really interesting - do you have a source for it? (It's not included in the English language version of the story at the site you mentioned.)

tuckchang

visitor
Reaction score
Hi ! Hilary,

There are some books in discussing Chow I from the pointview of history and customs. My favorest one is 周易見龍 written by 謝祥榮 but unfortunately, only available in Chinese.

Best regards
Tuck

charly

visitor
Reaction score
This detail is really interesting - do you have a source for it? (It's not included in the English language version of the story at the site you mentioned.)
Hilary:

Try with the following link:

CHINESE STORIES
PREHISTORIC CHINA
THREE DYNASTIES
THE SPRING AND AUTUMN PERIOD
STORIES FROM CLASSICAL ALLUSIONS

There are more links promising bilingual e-books, if you see the page in chinese, click [English] in the upper bar.
1_05.gif

I take a look at the story, but it didn't contain quoted sources.

«After Emperor Ch'i of the Hsia dynasty died, the throne was passed down to his son, T'ai-k 'ang. T'ai-k 'ang enjoyed hunting and didn't attend to governmental matters. In the end, he was defeated by Hou-i, the chieftan of the Yu-ch'ung tribe. After he fled, Hou-i put T'ai-k'ang's younger brother, Chung-k'ang, on the throne and kept the power in his own hands.

Hou-i was the earliest and most famous archer in Chinese history. His wife was the legendary Ch 'ang-o, a beautiful woman. Hou-i was very ambitious and, waiting until Chung-k'ang died and his son, Hsiang, had succeeded to the throne, Hou-i chased Hsiang out and took the throne himself. However, he did not manage
the government well. He trusted a high minister named Han Chou, who was particularly adept in flattery, and handed over control of the military to him.

This resulted in Han Chuo fomenting a rebellion, killing Hou-i, and making
himself emperor. Han Chuo couldn't stop worrying about Hsiang, fearing that one day Hsiang would return and contend with him for the throne. Therefore, he sent his two sons to kill Hsiang. At that time, Hsiang's wife was pregnant. Fortunately, she fled and returned to her family in the tribe of Yu Nai where she gave birth to a son, Shao-k 'ang.

After Shao-k'ang grew up, he was unsettled and roamed about. He finally threw in his lot with the Yu Yu tribe. The chieftan of the Yu Yu tribe gave him his daughter in marriage, and he also gave him ten li of land. Thereafter, Shao-k 'ang secretly summoned the loyal people of the Hsia dynasty, gathering altogether five
hundred men. Day and night, Shao-k'ang drilled his troops, preparing to recover the Hsia dynasty.

In 2079 B.C., Shao-k'ang was adequately prepared and launched his military reprisal, destroying Han Chuo and his sons. He recovered the throne and re-established the Hsia dynasty. Therefore, in the histories, this story is called The Restoration of Shao-k'ang. »

at: http://edu.ocac.gov.tw/ocac_ebook/e-show-chap.asp?chap=100041-001-0004

Sometimes the selected link fails, maybe due to excessive traffic or lack of plug-in.

Best regards,

Charly

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the direct quote. That's the part that doesn't mention muddy pigs and ghost chariots - which I've only seen explained before as constellations - and it's hard to know what use to make of that in interpretation. It'd be very cool if they're part of a story.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).