...life can be translucent

Menu

Tact and Negotiation

vida

visitor
Reaction score
My last question didn't inspire interpretation :blush:, but I hope very much that this one warrants a bit of reply. I am an outspoken individual in a situation which requires quite a bit of tact, so any ideas are much appreciated.

What is the appropriate way for me to accept this job offer, without compromising my self-esteem and still requesting what I need?
3 (2,5,6) --> 60
It looks as if even the slightest request might make uncomfortable waves, but if I am mindful of the middle line I might be correct...?​

What is the most to be expected if I gently nudge toward negotiation?
50 (5) --> 44
Now this is a delicate one because I see this as meaning that they would be receptive to a point, solely because they realize at some level they are undershooting my abilities. (This is how I am reading me being a powerful maiden approaching them). It obviously could be interpreted in a more negative light... as if I will be seen as too forward.​

How can I avoid offending anyone in stating my intentions?
35(1,2,4) --> 38
Perhaps if I take a very gentle approach which focuses not on my own needs, but from the perspective of the needs of the organization, I might at best receive a bit down the road...?​

Any help is appreciated.

D

diamanda

Hi vida,

It sounds to me that there's still lots going on behind the scenes over at that new
post, which you don't and can't know as it sounds like internal problems. It makes
lots of sense, especially because of the 'fat-free' (nice one!) version they offered
you.

how did they feel about me at the interview?'
7 (1,5,6) --> 61
They felt you were well prepared, but, 'there is game in the field', there's some
internal problem, and they need to deal with that 'war', perhaps thinking how
well you would fit into that situation? They can see you are good and sincere.
Now if that counts for or against you in this situation, it depends what sort of
people are those who 'judged' you.

'what will they decide with me?'
48 (3,5) --> 7
Most probably your good qualities are not appreciated. 48:5 reassures you to
believe in your own good qualities, but it seems those people are more
preoccupied with a sort of war. Perhaps the pay cut was what was meant by
7:6. It sounds like quite a complicated situation to me, with your good abilities
not counting for much, not because they're not good, but because of their
problems. Think about it, if your qualities/experience were not good, they'd
just offer the job to someone else. Now, suddenly, they offer it to you, but
chop it down a bit. This is bizarre in itself.

What is the appropriate way for me to accept this job offer, without compromising
my self-esteem and still requesting what I need?
3 (2,5,6) --> 60
3:2 tells you to not accept the position. If you decide to accept it, and try to
request what you need, they will not agree, and they will withdraw their offer.
You can also limit yourself and take it without asking for anything.

50 (5) --> 44
They will probably choose another one of the many candidates. Perhaps all
they want is a 'yes' person, who never questions anything and doesn't ask for
much.

35(1,2,4) --> 38
I'm afraid it sounds to me as if it can't be done. No matter how politely you
put forth your intentions, they will withdraw the offer. At least that's how it
sounds to me. It must be a budget thing, i really don't think it's got something
to do with you personally.

What a situation... wishing you good luck with it all!

vida

visitor
Reaction score
'diamanda' must mean 'goes above and beyond with interpretive aid' :bows:.

its most certainly a budget issue AS WELL as the board of directors not being impressed with me on paper (the board has only seen my resume and heard accounts from the administrative staff, and I have been delicately informed that despite their (admins) best attempts to push me through, the Board cannot get behind me.

their way to get around this in order to get me on the team at all was to generate a lesser position and then offer it to me. (i.e., they supplanted my ability to serve on the executive administration, replacing it with much less clout as plain old administration.) now THAT might be where the 'do not form a relationship with the powerful maiden' comes in.

i think the problem with this place is how subservient the exec's must be toward the board. its like they can't actually do anything without the board's approval.

i am carefully considering your interpretation... i don't need to let them know for a day or so.

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
What is the appropriate way for me to accept this job offer, without compromising my self-esteem and still requesting what I need?

3 (2,5,6) --> 60

Well, the first line is telling you not to accept the current offer but wait a while longer, it looks like more discussions are needed here but do not give up because you can succeed but it will need effort.
Hex 60 suggests that you are going to have to accept what they offer in the end because if you want too much then they are not going to give it to you.

50 (5) --> 44

If you negotiate then expect some people to listen to you but don't push your luck to far with them.

35(1,2,4) --> 38

I think the word that applies here is to be 'careful'.

vida

visitor
Reaction score
willowfox, i thought i had subscribed to this thread and when i hadn't gotten an email i assumed there were no other responses! so i apologize for the stall in responding, it was unintentional.

i decided late yesterday afternoon to negotiate for a moderate pay increase. it caused a small stir, but perhaps because the individual i was dealing with wasn't quite expecting it. they decide, in the end, to offer an increase slightly below my request, but still higher than the original. i was also offered the opportunity to basically negotiate with them on monday and write my own job description. its really nice i think, to design your own job. i took the offer, because though i could receive higher pay elsewhere, i'd be all boxed in and punching a clock day in and day out. so it was worth it i decided, at least for now.

so yes. there we have it.

thanks willowfox and diamanda.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).