...life can be translucent

Menu

sister's, bestfriend's or iching's advice?

halfsister

visitor
Reaction score
Hello,

kindly help me make a decision. I've been living with my family for the longest time and now I found the perfect place, just very near to them, where I can move and live independently.

problem - the money needed for the downpayment is quite big. I maybe...again, maybe able to raise it but that means no extra expenses, no goodtime, no shopping, no emergencies whatsoever.

that also means I have to be on a constant looking for gigs since I am a freelance web designer.

I consulted the iching. Question: what will be the possible pressures and issues that I will face if I pursue to buy this condo unit?

I got hex 17 changing to hex 42.

my sister's advise - DO NOT PURSUE. My only consideration will be the money. I can't afford it, period.

my bestfriend's advice - GO FOR IT. all human has this surviving instict so i will never run out of ideas and energies to come up with the monthly amortization.

from my own interpretation, I think iching is telling me something good.
but reading the moving lines...I'm confused.

Please help.

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
Question: what will be the possible pressures and issues that I will face if I pursue to buy this condo unit? hex 17.4,6 changing to hex 42.

It suggests, yes go for it but seek out help from a friend or a close associate.

larsbo_c

visitor
Reaction score
This is a hard one

17,4,6 - 42
17 line 4, 13 characters:
This is a very dificult line to translate:
To follow [something] and capture [it] may be correct or wrong. But if you let inner confidence light up your way how can it be wrong?
This means that if you follow someone with a sincere heart, it is not wrong to follow.
17,6 this is tricky too:
You hold it tied up, so it can do nothing but follow. The King will use it for sacrifice on the Western Mountain.
This means a sheep won't go willingly, although a sacrifice should be a good way to end it's life. So you make it come by dragging it.

42 just means more or increase

I Ching could easily express if you didn't have the financial means, but it doesn't.
It could warn you against the situation as whole, but it didn't.
Who is it okay to follow and who should be dragged along?
42 means more or increase but what?
A completely wild idea would be to drag you sister or a friend with you and find a bigger place? Maybe too far out.

Sometimes you get ideas when you ask questions. Then ask I Ching about the ideas you get, and then you get a clearer picture. That's what I do. :)

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
17,4,6 - 42
17 line 4, 13 characters:
This is a very dificult line to translate:
To follow [something] and capture [it] may be correct or wrong. But if you let inner confidence light up your way how can it be wrong?
This means that if you follow someone with a sincere heart, it is not wrong to follow.
17,6 this is tricky too:
You hold it tied up, so it can do nothing but follow. The King will use it for sacrifice on the Western Mountain.
This means a sheep won't go willingly, although a sacrifice should be a good way to end it's life. So you make it come by dragging it.

42 just means more or increase

I was just wondering why some of your translations are so radically different from the "norm"? Are you using a dictionary or something to try and translate the words directly into English? Or are you using "babelfish"?

larsbo_c

visitor
Reaction score
Why some of your translations are so radically different?

I have a long university education in Classical Chinese specialized in the most ancient language like Zhou Yi. Most of the translations you see in the library are not translated by people with a foundation at all in this very ancient language.

There are sometimes more than one possible translation, the important trick is to stick to the one that are in line with the main thread in the hexagram as a whole.

If you want arguments about any particular translation please ask. I can prove it word by word.

This dictionary is published by Tawan's Ministry of Education, printed it would be 20+ volumes. It has the most ancient meanings:
http://140.111.34.46/newDict/dict/index.html

I often use Bernhard Karlgren's Grammatica Serica Recensa, it doesn't get any better than this dictionary so far, no Chinese dictionary is better. It is dificult to use, but the entries are in English.

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I was just wondering why some of your translations are so radically different from the "norm"? Are you using a dictionary or something to try and translate the words directly into English? Or are you using "babelfish"?

:confused: Eh ? What is the norm ? Larsbos interpretation didn't seem way out to me. Whats your 'babelfish' comment about ?

tigerintheboat

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Flatterers and Mortgage Holders

Hello,

kindly help me make a decision. I've been living with my family for the longest time and now I found the perfect place, just very near to them, where I can move and live independently.

problem - the money needed for the downpayment is quite big. I maybe...again, maybe able to raise it but that means no extra expenses, no goodtime, no shopping, no emergencies whatsoever.

that also means I have to be on a constant looking for gigs since I am a freelance web designer.

I consulted the iching. Question: what will be the possible pressures and issues that I will face if I pursue to buy this condo unit?

I got hex 17 changing to hex 42.

H17 going to H42 has moving lines 4 and 6. Line 4 is a warning about people wanting you to do something, flattering you, for their own purposes. "Perseverance brings misfortune." Line 6 is about being tied and bound, needing to follow the king, although sages would rather stay in seclusion.

If I received this reading, I would interpret it as a strong negative against proceeding, assuming that whoever was trying to convince me had her own motives, and that I might be "tied and bound" and forced to follow a king (mortgage holder), whether it was best for me or not.

Hope this helps. Perhaps H42 is the increase that lets you even consider this, or the increase you will have by avoiding this expense. One thing I can tell you, any plan that relies on "no emergencies whatsoever" is destined to fail!

Tiger

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).