Menu

technical question - casting with 3 coins

flor05

visitor
Reaction score
Question - Errors when casting with 3 coins

Hi all!

Hope you had a Merry Christmas!

Something happened to me twice when tossing this week.
I normally use the 3 coin method. I toss, take a pen to draw the solid or broken line, leave the pen on the side and pick up the coins again.

When tossing, I wrote down a certain line (it was _____, two tails and a head). But when I was picking up the coins, I quickly gazed at them and thought I saw 2 heads and a tail, whick would be __ __. This was very quick, but I began hesitating whether I got the right line or not.

Setting my clumsiness aside :blush:, my question is: what one should do?
Should I just toss again for the entire hex (this happened in line 3)? If so, is there a waiting time?

In my case, I kept on going, but I doubt whether I got 36 or 24 as an answer...

Is there a standard procedure for this mishaps?

Cheers and best wishes,

Flor.

Last edited:
M

meng

I've had them fall off a table and roll into another room or get stuck in a crack vertically. I just throw the one in question over. If I'm in a particularly anal state of mind, I'll scrap the entire reading and start from scratch. Part would depend on how important or urgent I felt the reading was. Interpretation can be tricky enough without having to entertain doubt about whether it was the intended reading.

Others may handle it differently.

edge

visitor
Reaction score
I use yarrow stalks but occasionally I've miscounted or lost concentration for a minute so come up with the wrong number for a line. Slightly different situation but similar principle. When it happens I repeat the line in question, not the whole hexagram.

M

meng

An interesting approach would be to look at the result of them together. Do they correlate? Do they together tell you story you can relate with?

If I have nothing to divine with but a fishbowl and six fish, I'd find answers there. Precision is another matter. How precise do you need an answer to be? And how long would you like to extend that flow of consciousness to find it? How much fills your appetite? It varies, right? Sometimes a hungry tiger with eyes spying about, sometimes looking under the bed for a genie, or maybe both together. :hug:

flor05

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses!

I guess my mistake was to continue, I should have tossed that line again. I feel inclined to trust on what I wrote first and not on my "glance", but I'm not sure... :confused:

It was a very important question to me. I stopped asking about my husband because I was getting confused, so I stayed away from this subject of questioning for 2 weeks. I did a session yesterday with the set of questions that Jesed usually suggests, and this happened in the general diagnosis question. Using Andree this is usually a question useful to tell time, so it's a big one.

As far as telling a story, I don't know...
One would be 24.2 >19, the other one would be 36.2>11
I guess they are pretty different, but 36 probably reflects reality better, I guess? Not sure. :brickwall:

I get now that casting the line again would have been better, but if you were in my situation now (having continued), what would you do? Would you ask again or read both answers?

Cheers,

Flor.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses!

I guess my mistake was to continue, I should have tossed that line again. I feel inclined to trust on what I wrote first and not on my "glance", but I'm not sure... :confused:

It was a very important question to me. I stopped asking about my husband because I was getting confused, so I stayed away from this subject of questioning for 2 weeks. I did a session yesterday with the set of questions that Jesed usually suggests, and this happened in the general diagnosis question. Using Andree this is usually a question useful to tell time, so it's a big one.

As far as telling a story, I don't know...
One would be 24.2 >19, the other one would be 36.2>11
I guess they are pretty different, but 36 probably reflects reality better, I guess? Not sure. :brickwall:

I get now that casting the line again would have been better, but if you were in my situation now (having continued), what would you do? Would you ask again or read both answers?

Cheers,

Flor.

Re your first question in this thread I think there is no right or wrong thing to do, its up to the individual. Personally if what you described happens to me I abandon the whole cast and either just start again or cast again some time later mainly to avoid the uncertainty you describe...and also because I take an interrupted cast...for whatever reason..as a signal to leave the question 'in the air' a while longer..which might be mere superstition but thats what i do because it feels right to me.

I never would just cast the line again, I'd need to begin again entirely. But I don't think its worth worrying about at all. Re your situation above I personally would disregard both answers and take a Yi break for 24 hours or however long...forgetting the 24.2 and the 36.2. They are quite different answers and if you don't know which it is rather than worry just cast again in a short while...thats what I'd do anyway

flor05

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks Trojan!
I guess that's what I'll do... Wait and ask again.:duh:
I must have been really anxious and that probably triggered the mistake.

Cheers and best wishes to all,

Flor.

M

meng

36.2 Hiding brightness, injury, restrain force. Auspicious.

24.2 Relaxed return.

If I did this little experiment, they'd seem quite related. Either and/or both would say to hold back forward motion. 36.2 would suggest hiding your light. 24.2 would suggest turning back to yourself.

19 shows initiative and leadership, while 11 shows solidarity. I'd interpret these as advantageous personal positions.

A

ajaribonten

This is a really interesting question: I personally have two thoughts on it, both leading to essentially the same conclusion.

First, I don't really believe that there are any true accidents. If you saw, or believed you saw, a different result; you were meant to see that result.

Second, the I Ching is such a subconscious gate that you really need to pay attention to the peripheral signs. I would continue to cast; but keep both results in mind when doing the interpretation; there is almost certainly something of value there!

flor05

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Meng and ajaribonten,

Thanks for your responses. Considering both hexes sounds tempting, but I was looking for a precise reading and I think this may lead to confusion...

36.2 Hiding brightness, injury, restrain force. Auspicious.

24.2 Relaxed return.

If I did this little experiment, they'd seem quite related. Either and/or both would say to hold back forward motion. 36.2 would suggest hiding your light. 24.2 would suggest turning back to yourself.

19 shows initiative and leadership, while 11 shows solidarity. I'd interpret these as advantageous personal positions.

Thanks for pointing that out Meng. I thought that both readings have a "positive" outlook, but I feel they are different. The question was a diagnosis of a relationship, so in that light, answers do diverge. For the sake of experimenting, I can post my answer if I re-cast, but I want to wait a bit before doing so...

J

jesed

Hi Flor

I'll go ALL-IN for 36.2

Would you tell us if you see any horse running between January 1st and January 15th, 2010?

;)

Best wishes

flor05

visitor
Reaction score
I will most definetely keep you posted.
Hope everything works out for the best.
Thanks so much,

Flor.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,