...life can be translucent

Menu

Coins or Yarrow?

What do you use for consulting the I Ching Oracle?

• Coins

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Yarrow

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Cards? How do you do that?

I have seen the cards, but thought they were just for reference. And actually made myself a "pack" on index cards that just say the number, name and image of the hexagram.

M

meng

Dinosaur bones as they're unearthed. Entrails of mule deer fawn slain by mountain lion, for major decisions. If too late for that, coyote teeth marks on rib ends. When they're not available I use virtual marbles.

Sparhawk

One of those men your mother warned you about...
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Dinosaur bones as they're unearthed. Entrails of mule deer fawn slain by mountain lion, for major decisions. If too late for that, coyote teeth marks on rib ends. When they're not available I use virtual marbles.

Hmmm, I thought you lost them... :rofl:

M

meng

"We can't lose what really belongs to us, even if we throw it away." WB 25.4 ;)

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
oh yes, even that sometimes . . I remember Hilary mentioning a fun way, typing the question in google images and picking the first image that comes up . . :p

P

peterg

cards

I have seen the cards, but thought they were just for reference. And actually made myself a "pack" on index cards that just say the number, name and image of the hexagram.

You can recreate asymmetrical (1357 over 16 ) yarrow odds
( or symmetrical if you prefer 2266 over 16 )
using an ordinary deck of playing cards.
For perfect odds remove 4 of a kind pip.
Black cards yin . Red yang. 3 black picture moving yin. 9 red pip moving yang.

For tactile reasons & for convenience I prefer to use the whole deck & bend the odds a little.

My preference is yarrow casting using chopsticks but I also trust 16 token (cards) & online yarrow .

I have written something about yarrow casting under the title ' yarrow symmetry '

warm regards.

charly

visitor
Reaction score

Hi, AQ:

If you have your own deck with 64 cards, one for each hexagram, you can shufle an take a card for the first hexagram. Then, put back the card into the deck, shuffle and take a card for the second hexagram.

Remember, you must shuffle twice, both with the 64 cards.

Detect the changing lines by comparison between both hexagams.

This method was described by Charles de Harlez in his french translation. (1)

Maybe probabilities are not the same that with another methods, but practicioners do not trust in any casuality. Don't worry.

If you have made your own deck, it will function.

Best whishes,

Charly

P.D.:

AQ is an intriguing name, a lot of questions, some of the best, remain unanswered.
Ch.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for giving your 2 cents!! I am going to try the cards out that I made on index tonight and see what it gives me.

answeredquestions is something I have used as a name for a long time, way before I even knew about the ways of the I ching :) As I get older I realize that the questions are the important part of the equation.

KEEP QUESTIONING!!

Last edited:
M

meng

Entrails of mule deer fawn slain by mountain lion, for major decisions. If too late for that, coyote teeth marks on rib ends.

23.6 - 2 (confirmed by actual reading)

bones1.jpg

th_bones4.jpg

I'm not an animal expert but it looks the size of a mule deer fawn. My guess is it was ambushed by a pack of coyotes while deep into the canyon, because I think a cat would have dragged up a rocky ledge, where it could feast at leisure. I went back up that way this morning, thought I'd take a couple shots of it.

We've been traveling around to the back side of these hills and discovering some powerful places, even up to the back of the mythical castle rock. I take pictures and movies, but they do it only a great injustice. One of those 'have to be in it' things.

Mojo is in his prime now, and lives to go on these "hunting" expeditions. His job is to find them and flush them out, and his enthusiasm for his job is enviable. Of course nothing gets shot at on these walks. My small 9mm is for defense only. When hiking up a fire trail at the back end of a mountain range, cougars are said to not be uncommon. Today, during the entire hike I felt watched by one. In that canyon you are exposed to mountain ranges all around, like wearing a big shiny bull's eye. I can almost hear them all laughing at us, "Idiots!"

Reaction score
th_Picture1-1.png

the best signs are all around . . 17.5

Is that what you see in this pic? I am not dogging you either. Don't want you to think that. How do you come to a conclusion of 17.5? Thanks for bearing with me here. Peace.

M

meng

Cool pictures. Tell me what you mean tho by confirming. Did you do a reading with those bones? Did you count them? Details :cool:

Thanks. you are curious... ok

Coming upon the deer bones had clear significance to me. Closer inspection revealed portions of the ribs had been chewed away, almost certainly by coyotes; that also had significance. Whether coyotes or resident cougar took the small deer down was also a symbolic matter worth contemplating - the same contemplative process as when doing an IC reading: allowing connections to be made to satisfy our thirst for conscious reasoning. That's how I looked at the bones. I contemplated the bones.

I'm a bit embarrassed to say I don't recall if the actual 23.6 reading came shortly before or after (was in a daze for days), but it struck the same chord, and the content of the time was filled with the same set of thoughts and feelings. "They" meaning the two separate incidents of bones and Yi's 23.6.

There was no structural methodology to reading the bones, per se; or at least none that I was aware of. But the message was perfectly clear, as was the message from 23.6.

edit:

What to do about it, or with it? What remains to be done? Not a thing. Nature knows what she's doing. I revere that all the more.

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Is that what you see in this pic? I am not dogging you either. Don't want you to think that. How do you come to a conclusion of 17.5? Thanks for bearing with me here. Peace.

Glad you couldn't see the 17.5 in that pic because i can't either. I have tried :confused: where is the 17.5 Dora ?

Last edited:

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
uhmm 17.5 was the first thing i thought when i saw this starry pattern on the wall . . :rolleyes: . . Yi confirmed my idea shortly after :)

sometimes i guess you just know . . like with the following object which i found two years ago on my birthday in the strangest place ever (hanging on the inside of a ceiling lamp in some random room i stayed) when i visited a friend in oxford where she was giving a lecture . . back then i had just started with Yi, it was only later that i thought that it was . .

th_382oxfordkey.png

eerily reminiscent of 38.2 . .

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
uhmm 17.5 was the first thing i thought when i saw this starry pattern on the wall . . :rolleyes: . . Yi confirmed my idea shortly after :)

sometimes i guess you just know . . like with the following object which i found two years ago on my birthday in the strangest place ever (hanging on the inside of a ceiling lamp in some random room i stayed) when i visited a friend in oxford where she was giving a lecture . .

th_382oxfordkey.png

eerily reminiscent of 38.2 no? . .

Wow it didn't occur to me to look at the stars...i was looking for the line patterns made by the windows !

Finding the key inside a lamp ! Amazing 38.2 yes !

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
Wow it didn't occur to me to look at the stars...i was looking for the line patterns made by the windows !

Finding the key inside a lamp ! Amazing 38.2 yes !

uh-huh, 38 can be weally weeird :D

Reaction score
Yeah, a bit curious...

I think why I thought you counted the bones was because I posted what do you use as the main question of this thread and the first thing you said was

haha.

So you were seeing visuals around you that seemed to match descriptions/vibes of a hexagram that you achieved either right before or right after you saw them.

Everything can be looked at curiously and those bones are one of them :cool:

M

meng

Pretty much, yeah.

I view the mind as a seeking devise, and something must connect in a way which generates this vibe of significance. Once that vibe is turned up, the mind seeks answers, and will find them in whatever elements present themselves.

Attention grabbing happenstances have an emotional impact, and we start seeking out the meaning of it, and then transferring meaning of related and more personal things. Hence the significance of the bones being coupled with a heightened sense of significance (that day), combined with an easily identifiable reading (23.6-2), it became a screen play handed to me in complete form.

But, to someone else passing by, it could have meant nothing at all. And perhaps it meant nothing at all, except to the one who contemplated them bones.

M

meng

I greatly admire Jung's contributions to understanding the roots of our psyche, yes. I don't find his work as mystical as it's been propagandized to be, nor as spiritual. I view it more as observation and interpretation of the observation. That's how I interpret most of his work, in a nutshell.

Synchronicity has more aspects than I know, and I've been a keen observer of it for awhile. It's like silly putty: I can reduce it, compact it, stretch it, stick it, peel it, bend it, bounce it, transfer images with it. The only things I can't do with it are prove it or fool it. Like the Dao, about the best I can do is jump up and down pointing at it... if I knew where to point.

What do you think about it?

Reaction score
Meng-

About silly Putty? Oh, I used to chew on it like gum when I was little..

Just kidding (maybe).

I had heard about Jung I think when I got into mandalas a long time ago and decided to scope out more of what he had studied. I found the things that he studied all to be laced with spirituality and it intrigued me. I can see what you are saying about him being more about observing and interpreting. His methods seem so scientific. To me, even though he is a psychiatrist, he seems to eminate spirituality in a sturn "wise old man" sort of way.

A little story: So I picked up the book Syncronicity: An Acausal Connecting Principle by Jung
http://www.amazon.com/Synchronicity-Connecting-Principle-C-Jung/dp/0691017948
at a chain book store, didn't buy it, was just looking at it in the store. I left the Psychology section. There was a little wooden stool in the Metaphysical section (one of my favorite sections) and so I sat there and flipped around thru the pages. I came across a page that said "I Ching" and was like.. :cool: heeeh? what's that? Then I looked up.
The I Ching was directly infront of me. It was the first thing that I looked at after reading the words of Carl Jung. I found it tingling that I was leafing thru something about syncronicity and that syncronicity happened at that moment. So I picked up both books.
-

When Jung talks about syncronicity (Or anything for that matter) he has a way with making things very hard to read and very complicated. I tend to have to read stuff of his over again to really understand what he means to say.

My over all take on what Jung says about Syncronicity is : There is a universal consciousness and there are smaller beings that are part of the universal consciousness or whole. (the big picture) When we have these "moments" of things syncing up, we, deep down, feel something (for lack of better way to discribe it). And we don't exactly know what it means.

I could say: I saw a train go by, and I knew I had to call my grandma.
Why does that link up?? Well, it could be because my grandma told me a story of a train when I was little or just as fascinatingly (maybe more) there could be NO connection to conclude as to why.
Just an example.

So things seemingly unrelated can link together in your mind and you might never know what that means, BUT to me, Jung thinks the universal consciousness DOES know what it means. I think that was one of Jung's biggest statements about syncronicity.

For me, I am into HOW things speak to people that feel syncronicity. The medium. Someone at work said that "weird things" keep happening and he went on to explain a series of random events. They were all along the lines of sounds syncing up with movement. Like, he hit a bump in his car and the song climaxed with drums at that moment. So for him, it's as though the Universe is talking to him through rythms. Fasninating. And for me, sometimes the Universe speaks in theme's. Like if I hear a song in the car talking about a heart and just so happen to be going by the doctor's office that told me I needed to have heart surgery. Both heart themes.

I think the I Ching is seriously a portal for syncronicity and one of the best mediums for me. EVERY time. It's amazing what it has showed me. Tarot cards are fine too. Although, for me, they have a shadow cast over them. Another one of the best mediums is ... well.. everything else around :p The shapes, colors, and textures of things; The way someones voice says a certain word or syllable; even smells on a more sub level. All can sync up and overlap.

I feel like even though sometimes we might not know why, it is interesting to explore how they reached you.
(I have been getting a lot of heck it seems, for asking people about how they reach their answers on this forum) I find that almost intolerably intriguing because I feel how the Universe speaks to us is just as important as what it is saying. I also think syncronicity shows its face in things that are creative. Like art, music, poetry, and dance.

Oh and I like the way you looked at those bones.
I am going to call my Grandma now.
Peace.

M

meng

Thanks for your background on the subject.

I can't even imagine how many in the west have been simultaneously impacted by Wilhelm/Baynes' I Ching and Jung's works, most commonly Man and His Symbols. They, together, were also my springboard into this field back in the early 60's.

If anything, I've become more critical of synchronicity since then. Not that I think it doesn't exist, but that we play a much larger role in the connections we find than are credited to the synchronized events themselves. The easiest example which comes to mind is when someone suddenly becomes aware of or purchases a unique item, and then suddenly begins to notice this kind of item is everywhere they look. Or the way song lyrics on the radio sync up perfectly to something you're thinking or talking about. How much of that is meaningful synchronicity, and how much is simple law of averages and coincidence? And, how much of it is really the same thing? They don't have to be separate events with separate causes. Isn't that what synchronicity is at the heart of it?

In spite of my more suspicious eye for these things, they have little or no active bearing on my use of the Yijing as a divination tool which employs real synchronicity, or in employing magical thinking into even the more mundane of daily events. Just because I can't prove it or fool it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist on its own terms, though it may exist with limitations and help of things, like my belief and expectation. Two very powerful things: belief and expectation. How much, what proportions belong to belief and what portions to prosaic reasoning? I don't know. It doesn't matter, and it doesn't enter into my practice of divination, whether from Yijing or finding bones. The bones of mountains tell unimaginably thrilling and dynamic stories, and instill a deep and abiding peace. It's all foolery to me, but useful foolery.

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
hmm,

Two very powerful things: belief and expectation. How much, what proportions belong to belief and what portions to prosaic reasoning?

maybe proportion -or perspective- speaks for belief; and portion, slice, for prosaic thought . .
i wonder whether the actual event has any significance at all . . perhaps life is made by events but we prefer to live it in actions -that's why mountains are useful in action, i think . .

True quiet means keeping still when the time has come to keep still, and going forward when the time has come to go forward
Wilhelm

pure events -with no meaning attached- sounds like life :)

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).