...life can be translucent

Menu

62.5 and motivation

twilightshadow

visitor
Reaction score
Lately I cant seem to motivate myself to do anything, not work on my book, not housecleaning, exercising, almost nothing. I probably just have post holiday blues, but I asked Yi how can I get myself motivated to do the things I need to do like work on my book, look for a job (Im unemployed), clean house, etc? Ans 62.5 to 31.

Normally I read this as needing help from someone that needs to be coaxed into participating. That could work when referring to the research for my book. I do have a couple of people who could help but are not always inclined to take the time to do so. But it doesnt seem to fit in the other things I need to do. Im wondering if its possible I could be both the king and the one who needs to come out of the cave. Could it be saying I need to come out of the cave in order to help myself? Any thought???

S

sooo

Any thought???

A couple. But I speak not as it is, only as I've come to understand it thus far.

One of 62's attributes is tending to details, to small and seemingly insignificant things. Not the big inspiration but groundwork of larger decision or undertaking; though personal experience has taught me that small things can feel very big, and not only feel big but are big. If we walk through a mountain pass, we may be awestruck by the magnitude of the mountain, but if we forget to pay attention to the trail in front of us, and continue climbing, we could stumble, trip or fall, just from getting ahead of ourselves.

About the prince who hits something or other in the cave, in line 5: I tend to lean toward Bradford's rendering of a tethered arrow in a cave. Which to me sounds more like a humorous metaphor among primitive hunters for a poor day to be out hunting. Better to lay low, knapping flint arrowheads by the fire, and await conditions to again favor game afoot in the field.

31, to woo. It is a provider who attracts a mate. Seems to fit with paying attention to details, particularly complimentary ones. In this case, involving motivation: you are wooing yourself, or rather, that's what needs to happen, to believe in yourself, to win yourself over, to be a fan of who you are and of what you do.

But remember that 62 is about laying low. So how do you lay low while becoming inspired? You look for inspiration in small things, things you'd otherwise walk past and not even notice. Or you initiate things on a grounds roots level. In music, that could mean starting a garage band, but not buying private planes just yet.

May the new year bring you inspiration.

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
I asked Yi how can I get myself motivated to do the things I need to do like work on my book, look for a job (I'm unemployed), clean house, etc? Ans 62.5 to 31.

I think the relating hexagram 31 means you have become sensitized or sensitive to your situation in a way that is draining you of energy and motivation.

Realistically speaking, you sound a little isolated, so why don't you speak about your situation with someone who has nothing to gain from what you do or don't do? -- some truly fair and impartial person.

Or maybe just go out to a meeting of some kind, perhaps an educational meeting or lecture (held in a cave, of course) (I'm only kidding), where some arrow of inspiration might strike you.

The message of 62 is to do only small and simple things, being careful not to take on anything important and grand.

elias

visitor
Reaction score
I think all the writers on this site should start their own circle ;->

62.5 is another of those lines that doesn't seem to have a settled meaning. Older commentators speak of shooting game in a cave -- a trophy not much worth boasting about. Contemporary authors talk about either getting help before acting, or provoking yourself to action just to get past the inertia of sitting still. This probably speaks to your present situation.

Of 31 -Sensing "... just as there can be no lake atop a mountain if there is no open space, similarly people can't be sensitive to anything if their minds are not open. Therefore they empty themselves of what they have, and receive enhancement from another" (Taoist I Ching).

It strikes me as being about opening yourself to other influences or people in your world; getting out a bit, expanding your circle.

All the best -- Happy New Year!

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
If you recall this thread do you have any updates on how you got back round to motivating yourself in 2011 and did you find any of the responses helpful?

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).