...life can be translucent

Menu
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Your Experiences with Unchanging Castings-Hexagram 23

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Default Your Experiences with Unchanging Castings-Hexagram 23

I must have had 23uc many times but 2 particular instances come to mind. Neither were especially painful for me but both indicated an ending...and both were about aspects of support.

1. I had some work as a support worker, in college, for an asylum seeker in the UK. My job was to sit with her in classes, help with the language etc etc so she could keep up with what the teacher was saying. She had experienced great trauma in her own country, was suffering from stress at all the strangeness of this one.....many many difficulties I could only imagine. We got on very well and I enjoyed the work. Sometimes my work was extending beyond my role as at times she'd need other help...like transport when she had no money etc. She did well but I was aware she was struggling with her living conditions so her attendance got more erratic. She was going away more often to try to get some money...not a happy time for her. She was saying she was going to continue at college but one could begin see her efforts were undermined by her difficult life situation..

I asked a general question about continuing working with her. I got 23 uc. It puzzled me because at the time all still seemed relatively stable on the surface. However before long things got too much and she left the area, left college, to get money and this was hard and sad at the time as it seemed the end of her studies/end of her aspirations. ETA I should add before this happened we did a lot of running around to get her more financial support. I went with her to student support offices...we tried everything. I recall almost being in tears about it..it was frustrating...but in the end it had to be accepted...it was a 23 time I guess.

Was it 23 for her , for me or for the situation ? I think it was all of it. There were aspects of that course that weren't right for her level of English....much too hard. Maybe if she could have put every ounce of her mind and energy into the course it would have been fine but her mind was, necessarily, more on survival. I saw her a few years later and in a much more stable position, more able to resume studying. In hindsight that 'falling apart' of that initial study period was only natural. It felt sad at the time but how could she study when she couldn't eat ...or travel and was fearful of deportation ? The 23 for me I suppose was loss of that work and not just financial loss but I had taken an interest in her progress and we liked each other.

All ended well anyway and I saw her well and happy a few years later and she told me she was resuming her studies we need 23 to make way for new and better foundations. Can't build a new life on crumbling foundations...and thinking on it her situation reflected in my own life too.

2. I was offered a very cheap room at a premises to work from. The idea being I think that I'd benefit the main business by bringing custom in. This seemed an generous opportunity for me and I suppose I'd expected the owner of the business to take some interest in the progress of what I was doing as essentially the better I was doing the more money she'd get. I asked a few questions about her..I think I first asked about that expectation of her support/interest...and got 23 uc which greatly puzzled me at the time...how could 23 uc apply I asked another question concerning our relationship when I had to spend some time with her over something else and got 23uc again. However we had a perfectly friendly interaction....so I just couldn't see that 23 uc. However in the course of time a few things made me realise there was infact a complete detachment from what I was doing there...to the point where 'building up', making 'something solid' on that basis wasn't going to happen. As I type I also realise there was building rubble about....and dust in my room due to a building next door being semi demolished/renovated and also a great deal of noise which made it hard to work.

For this pair 23 and 24 Lise wrote in some old notes I have
    Your road is not what you go but what you are
    23 - depend on the inside , the outside can get lost
    24 - go on and on following your road

Hilary writes of this pair in her book

Stripping away forms a pair with hexagram 24, Returning :

'Stripping away: rotten. Returning: turnaround.'

Dead wood is pruned back with a sharp knife, and sap returns to the living root for new growth. When the old things end, a new direction opens up and a new cycle begins.

Personally I seem to find the pairs speak louder in my experiences with unchanging hexagrams. In my first experience above it's quite hard to see that 23 without also seeing the 24 of it all.

So what does Wing say about the significance of 23 in it's unchanging form...?

"The lower trigram K'UN, submission , yields to the presence of KEN, immovability, above. When DETERIORATION is received without changing lines it implies a situation for which there is little hope. It is not in your control, and therefore your interests are not considered. Reaffirm and support your position by being benevolent toward others. If there is a way out, it lies in a submissive attitude.

It would be good to hear of other's experiences with the cast of 23 uc......if you can remember any please chuck them in. When you've had 23 uc what has it meant to you personally ?
    Last edited by Trojina; June 3rd, 2013 at 10:12 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

23 unchanging... nine readings in the journal. Weird how often I've had this.

The most memorable one: 'How best to help Mum?' - asked when she was seriously ill. I had a head full of thoughts about carers, social services, nutrition etc, no idea what I was supposed to be doing. She died in that same week. 23 unchanging meant 'this is the end, there's nothing for you to do, ' and the reading helped me to stop planning and be there with her in the moment. Beautiful reading.

OK, the rest are going to sound like perfect bathos after that, but I should include them, because 23 unchanging usually does not mean anyone is dying, in my experience.

I had it for a weekly reading, and in that week was left feeling 'raw' by a painful conversation with a loved one - painful in large measure because it stripped away at my sense of my own value. Ouch. (But nothing disastrous, no long-term bad consequences, pretty useful in the end as it redirected my attention back to the roots and away from the image.)

Had it in response to 'If I bought this program, how useful would it be?' The program in question held out the enticing promise of making writing easy, but was an insanely complicated mess of features - I had a look at the trial, and couldn't make head or tail, utterly frustrating. Would've been a perfect waste of time and money.

Had it for advice for the week when I planned to tell the place where I volunteered that I was leaving, after about 12 years. It was a real wrench, but definitely the right thing to do - it had turned into one of those places where people are much less important than The System, and was depressing me more and more every time I went there, as there was nothing I could do to change anything.

Had it when a quick reading I did for someone else came out obviously wrong, and I asked what had happened. At the time I concluded, "Somehow while looking at that I could see the problem. I was not approaching Yi in the hope of learning anything at all - really, not even that I was right - but only for words to say what I wanted to say. That's dead, decaying, in need of stripping away."

I think the pattern emerging from these and Trojan's is fairly clear: stripping away and going nowhere just now; not fixable; the natural, timely thing is for this to end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

that's an old post that I just copy-paste here .

I recently “discovered” the image of 23. There is a person in my life going through a big transition and has all this emotional up and downs and what is more , a certain decision created some new problems to confront in a area of my everyday life.

I asked Yi “what is my role in his life, now” and “How can I helped that person” hex 23 unchanging in both questions ! With all those knifes and the endless cutting ( lol) in the lines, the Images’ texts didn’t fit at the beginning., didn’t make sense. Confusion

So I had to be the mountain to hear the mountain and I had to be the earth to hear the earth. The mountain talked about my individuality, the earth about nourishing and then it made sense . Because , in the certain situation by giving that person what was important at the moment didn’t really affected my self. So by giving up something I really didn’t need I could give a chance to the both of us. And then the stripping idea in the image’s text became visible.

that was one of those reading imprinted in my mind. Not sure how things would be if I had stripped them then or if I read it correct but as an idea help me to deal those ups and downs by focusing on what they were going through and don't pay attention to reactions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just had 23 uc for a question about what should I know about my current health problems.

Awkward. If you don't hear from me again, thank you for all your help over the years.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Awkward, indeed. But please read all my post above, not just the emotionally intense part! Besides, I once had 23uc for an annual reading, and I'm still here. (Not a bad year, as far as I can remember.) Something ends - it doesn’t have to be your physical existence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I aten't dead. Yet.

Thanks Hilary, not really sure what is ending, maybe something internal, like stripping gut of harmful bacteria, or something like that? Would that work with 23 uc?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Could do. I've also seen a case where it meant minor surgery. (Someone with a lump - 23uc, much alarm - just a benign cyst and nothing to worry about.)

(Also - Granny Weatherwax! )

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hilary For This Useful Post:

galatea11 (December 31st, 2015), precision grace (March 5th, 2015)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Granny Weatherwax ? I had to Google her, never heard of her....you mean in reference to 'I aten't dead yet' I'm guessing ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granny_Weatherwax

This is a good idea of hers

Despite her power, Granny Weatherwax rarely uses magic in any immediately recognizable form. Instead, she prefers to use headology, a sort of folk-psychology which can be summed up as "if people think you're a witch, you might as well be one". For instance, Granny could, if she wished, curse people. However it is simpler for her to say she has cursed them, and let them assume that she is responsible for the next bit of bad luck that happens to befall them; given her reputation this tends to cause such people to flee the country entirely.

There was someone who here who asked in SR if they were about to die. Can't recall details but she got many long heartfelt answers from well meaning members....but she never returned to tell us if she was dead or not. I did ask, because her not returning might suggest she was dead. It was a long thread. Probably needed Granny Weatherwax on it. Wonder where it is...? Personally I don't think she's dead.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Not heard of Granny Weatherwax? Your education is lacking. Also, I think you will find her a kindred spirit. Start with Witches Abroad, I think.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I shall order it immediately.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast