...life can be translucent

Menu

What to do if Yi seems to be answering a question other than the one being asked?

canislulu

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I could post this in "Shared Readings" but I am posting it here as I am looking more for feedback and experiences with events in which someone intuits or suspects that Yi is attempting to direct their attention away from the question to something more urgent in their life that needs examining.

When I first started consulting the I Ching, a fellow student once told me how she had asked a question and Yi gave her an answer which she KNEW was really an answer to another question she could have asked. (She had asked a question unrelated to her relationship with her sister and received an answer that felt like advise in her relationship with her sister.

Today I have had a similar experience, except that I do not have the CERTAINTY of KNOWING that my friend had.
Before casting the question I thought, "I should not ask this. I already know how I am going to proceed." But I asked anyway about whether or not to continue working with someone who has been my guide doing inner work. I have been intending to resume working with her once I am in a better financial situation.

I received 62.3.6 > 35. One might think, "NO, don't continue this work!" I am thinking it is more likely a warning to get out of an agreement that I made yesterday and by law can reverse within 72 hours AND/OR changing my travel for work plans OR BOTH.

D

diamanda

But I asked anyway about whether or not to continue working with someone
In two-forked questions like this, I find it more helpful to ask two questions.
E.g. "result if I continue working with X", "result if I don't continue working with X".

I am thinking it is more likely a warning to get out of an agreement that I made yesterday and by law can reverse within 72 hours AND/OR changing my travel for work plans OR BOTH.
I would simply cast and ask more questions.
"Result if I reverse the law agreement" and "result if I continue with the law agreement".
If you get a severe warning, you'll know that your 62.3.6 > 35 was (also?) referring to that.

S

svenrus

Just want to confirm that I Ching do that. I have experienced it now and then, believe me or not, I'll not go into details. The thoughts I've had about those experiences was and is that the mainpurpose for I Ching in it's work is to lead us toward the light/better world/..... and in answering on something we didn't asked about is actually to guid us in the moment: on situations around us that is sometimes more important to react on than the question we asked advice about.

Last edited:
F

Freedda

Overall, what is the priority for you here? Is it to gain insight into the three situations you've described (continuing to work with someone, your contract/agreement, and/or your travel plans), or is it ruminating on whether or not the Yi answers questions other than the one asked?

If it's the former, I'd suggest you just consult the Yi again about the agreement, and separately, again, about your travel plans. I would think that will be the best way to get clear direction.

As to you original casting and question, I see it being applicable, though I don't draw the same meaning. I suggest it might be saying that your idea of waiting until your finances are better to study with this person is sound advice, but don't let the 'small' issue of finances become so excessive that it keeps you from doing your inner work.

As to the latter, I don't know if the Yi is answering one of your unanswered questions or not, but I do think that this type of second-guessing can be a slippery slope: which one of the questions is Yi answering? The first one, or questions two and three, or another as yet unasked question,? Or, is it answering the original and you just don't understand or like the answer?

On the other hand, is the Yi perhaps giving you an early warning against too many questions, that you are gathering as 'small' excesses?

And this leads to another possibility: is the Yi addressing an inner or unspoken attitude which might color or apply to all your situations?

Best, Davidi

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
In my experience, FWIW, if an answer is referring to something other than the question you asked you will recognise this instantly, in your gut. It's not an intellectual process. I don't find Yi often, if ever (can't remember) absolutely changes the topic of the question but what it does do (sometimes) is answer from a very different angle which often will answer the question behind the question

Example

You. What about the party with Sandy on Friday, good idea ?

Yi. Sandy isn't really someone for you to invest your trust in.

You didn't exactly ask about the relation with Sandy you asked specifically if the party was a good idea. However, deep down, emotionally, it's not the party that matters to you at all, it's Sandy. In truth, as far as you are concerned the party is just an opportunity to get closer to Sandy, but maybe you can't quite admit that to yourself, you almost 'don't know' that yet so you ask a question about the party. But Yi knows you better than that ! Sees straight through to your real question. :cool:

If that is the case you'll just know the answer refers to the relation with Sandy. Like in a conversation a friend will know what you're really asking and address that sometimes. You might say to a friend

'I wonder whether to go to that party :flirt: ?'

'Oh yeah do you now :rolleyes:....well he ain't worth it'

See friend knew your real agenda.

So in my opinion when Yi answers from a different angle than the question was put mostly I think a person will learn to recognise that, not via any kind of cognitive, working it out, reasoning process, but more an intuitive recognition of a truth about the matter.

As for Yi changing topics entirely I think it may happen now and then, can't recall any time it has happened for me but I imagine if it did the process of understanding the answer, what it addresses, similarly would come through that sense of recognition not through trying to figure it out.

Last edited:

canislulu

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all of the feedback. EVERYTHING said has been helpful.

For now, I will say in regards to my specific question in this case I believe Yi WAS answering the question and that I just had not understood the answer yet. I believe Yi is telling me NOT to fly away from my inner work (62.6), much of which is related to avoiding repeat 62.3 and 62.6 situations. Part of what I have been processing in the therapy has been a "catastrophic blunder" I believe I made in 2008. So in that beautiful way that Yi can answer holistically, it is both advise about my inner work and a description of the "issues" I am processing in that work. But I am also processing the tendency I have of getting stuck in mourning over what I perceive to be "catastrophic blunders."

62.3 and 62.6 are interesting as they seem to describe "opposite situation", i.e., a situation in which one meets misfortune by "not letting it pass" and a situation in which it is an error "not to meet" but to pass by.

In addition to answering the specific question I believe in this case Yi is also warning me about my current situation and my inner lawyers are now arguing over what I need to meet and what I need to let pass in the situation. Alas. I am stuck a bit in the confusion of having already asked two many two forked questions repeatedly and having "failed to meet" an understanding of those casts. Bad habits are challenging to break.

duffy214

visitor
Reaction score
Yi answers the real question...

I have had such an experience often. What I have learned, I think, is that I am ALWAYS given the WHOLE answer, and that Yi doesn't consider that little bitty other thought I was having when I was formulating my query as being insignificant. So, if I'm asking about some consideration or other detail which I hold in my own mind as being the main point, I get the answer on the whole kit and caboodle. This will show up in the changing lines, which are, after all, the only way the oracle can give you a detail. I have also observed that I always get the answer, even if Yi is telling me to shut up and listen. What I mean is that even if, for instance, I get 4 or 22 and it's obvious that I'm being told my query belies a faulty perspective or petty attitude on my part, the answer is still exactly relevant to the underlying core of the query, no matter how poor was my approach to it.

johninca

visitor
Reaction score
An interesting observation. I have been working with the Yi since the 1970's and in the probably hundreds of times I have consulted it I have found that it very often speaks to the unspoken question that is in your heart. Always listen to what it says, it will guide you and advise you

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).