...life can be translucent

Menu

A funny reading about a motel... 48.2.4->31

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
Ahead of booking a place to stay overnight on a recent road trip to see family, I asked Yi some questions about various options. Most of the castings were terrible! But then again, we were looking at budget options off the highway so it's not exactly like the Waldorf Astoria was coming into play.

I settled on a motel that had good online reviews, and Yi's answer for the outcome of staying there was 48.2.4-->31. In light of the other casts I was getting (for example 42.6 for one option that looked OK, I quickly dropped that one), this wasn't so bad. I actually thought to myself, "Huh, maybe there will be a leak. Well, they can just give us another room."

We get there and it's clean enough but smells a bit odd, like bleach. The bathroom has clearly just been cleaned, it's still streaked with damp. Fine. We settle in. The baby immediately falls asleep.

Hours pass. The bleach smell wears off, and underneath are notes of...sewage. These grow stronger and stronger. It smells like a port-a-potty. Shutting the bathroom door helps a little, but the odor seeps out anyway. The baby slumbers on. We are knackered. The idea of moving our luggage and all of the baby's gear and the baby herself—would she wake if we did?—seems just impossible. So we just deal with the terrible smell and get out as soon as we can in the morning.

Another oddity was that...the bathroom never dried? So weird. We didn't shower, just ran the tub briefly at one point, but most of the bathroom surfaces including the floor tiles stayed bizarrely evenly wet overnight. We dealt with it by putting down a towel in the morning, otherwise our feet would have gotten wet from the floor. There was no visible sewage anywhere, and the water itself smelled fine from the tap, the sewage smell was just pervasive in the air.

48.2...the well is cracked and leaking. Clearly there was some kind of leak or trapped gas happening in the pipes. 48.4...the well is being lined, no mistake. Hmm...that line is harder to interpret, but one way that the sewage smell happens, I learned from later Googling, is when pipes are unused for an overlong period. And it did seem like our room had not been much used; the motel as a whole was relatively empty.

Overall it was fine. We'd never stay there again, but it was safe and that was all I cared about in the end.

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
Also, I did briefly worry about carbon monoxide or something terrible like that, but had no headache, so let it go ultimately. Now I'm remembering that at 3 am I woke up because there was a dull, persistent thud happening above or above & to the side of us, like a very heavy suitcase being repeatedly dropped against the floor or a wall. It was odd enough that I checked our door. Locked and no one visible. The thudding continued but I fell back asleep.

D

diamanda

there was a dull, persistent thud happening above or above & to the side of us, like a very heavy suitcase being repeatedly dropped against the floor or a wall. It was odd enough that I checked our door. Locked and no one visible. The thudding continued but I fell back asleep.
Ahem... someone having sex next door? The 31? Lol.
Thanks for sharing this. The lines of 48 sounds like a plumbing problem which they (tried to) fix.

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
Ha! Maybe that was it (considering the 31). I thought it might be some people having sex at the time, but there were no, er, vocalizations, and the thuds were strangely far apart in time—sometimes a full 2-3 minutes, so I was almost asleep again, and then...THUD. Odd.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).