...life can be translucent

Menu

Can the Yi comment on how trustworthy x is? 42.2 - 25

Lettuce

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
For me this is a resounding yes. Maybe I am wrong. Once editors comment on this line was 'this is an image of trustworthiness". Does anyone have any other knowledge they an share regarding the meaning of this line. It seems pretty straight forward to me.Especially with hex 25 (innocence).

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
For me this is a resounding yes. Maybe I am wrong. Once editors comment on this line was 'this is an image of trustworthiness". Does anyone have any other knowledge they an share regarding the meaning of this line. It seems pretty straight forward to me.Especially with hex 25 (innocence).

It's up to the individual whether they would take this as a 'yes'. I wouldn't. The I Ching is not really best used to find out about what others are like, what they are thinking nor is it there in place of you using your own judgement.

If I received a scam email I wasn't sure about that asked me to click a link that could potentially damage my computer I don't think I'd ask the I Ching I think I'd call my bank.

If I wanted to know if someone was trustworthy I'd look at what their behaviour showed me about them. As soon as you start handing over responsibility for your safety to the I Ching then you've missed the point.

IMO the Yi can assist me in choices by showing me where I stand in relation to things and this can mean there's a predictive element sometimes sure but it wouldn't mean I'd ever judge how trustworthy another person was through readings. I guess I might take a reading into account along with all my other evidence but I wouldn't use Yi alone.

I can see why you think this is a resounding 'yes' and you might be right but there really isn't any certainty to be had this way.

I don't really know why people just keep on placing other people at the centre of their questions. What you want to know is if you can trust this person, so you could ask 'is it a good idea to trust this person ?'. I realize the way you have put the question is just another way of asking the same thing really but I really don't believe in making judgements about the nature of other people via the I Ching alone. You have all your other senses to use, your mind, what you see, what you witness, what you feel, you have to use all of these as well.

equinox

visitor
Reaction score
Hex 42.2 changes to Hex 61 "Inner Truth" and not to Hex 25 btw.

equinox

visitor
Reaction score
Trojina is right that we can't rely on I-Ching results alone.
Still it is undeniable that 42.2 > 61 is one of the most auspicious results you can receive in any context. And relating Hex 61 indeed is dealing with the topics of truth and sincerity.

equinox

visitor
Reaction score
Or are you sure you received relating Hex 25? Then your changing line is not 42.2, but 42.4.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
To add...I think if a person had 42.2 about trusting someone and felt it in their gut that this answer meant they could trust them, well it would be their decision to take it that way, they couldn't be told that they are wrong.

Other kinds of knowing can arise even as we are casting, there's no one who can say for sure 'no Lettuce you are wrong' indeed a big part of working with Yi is coming to know for yourself how deep an answer goes with you.

So if you say
For me this is a resounding yes.

...and that's how you feel it who am I or anyone else to say 'no it doesn't'.

But what I was trying to kind of warn against was wholly judging someone's character through the I Ching. People are multi faceted so you can ask what a person is to you but I think trying to discern their character as if it were an objective fact via Yi doesn't work so well.

I remember asking trust questions about a friend and getting 16.4. Well yes she was charismatic and able to get people to do all kinds of things but she was also full of bull shit and used people. Yi described her character in 16.4 a sense but with no moral aspect to it. I don't care how inspiring she could be if she was a liar.

But maybe here in your case it really is as simple as it seems, the person is a blessing and an increase to you so can inherently be trusted.

But I'd still say use all your faculties of discernment and don't rely on Yi alone as a character reference.

Also the fact that you are asking Yi this at all shows you don't trust X yet. X needs to demonstrate s/he is worthy of your trust or at least demonstrate you have no special reason to distrust them. You have to ask yourself why you don't trust them and what they would need to do to make you trust them.

Lettuce

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
All very informative info. To be honest I cast it as kind of an experiment to start to learn to read the iching. Trojina, your advice is very true. I would never go on the iching s advice alone as my intuition and life experience and intellect guide me too. I found the answer quite interesting as the relating hex was about trust and seemed to be quite a straight forward answer. But, as I see from my previous castings it does not always work that way. Recording castings and seeing how they pan out is certainly helping gain a greater understanding of the iching as a tool. I find I gain the greatest clarity when I ask a question that gives the iching the opportunity to impart some wise guidance and not predictions. Many thanks to you both x

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).