...life can be translucent

Menu

What if I quit? What if I stay?

killing moon

visitor
Reaction score
I have been unhappy with my job and the company I work for for the past 3 months, and have been actively applying for new jobs and interviewing with companies since. Although I've gotten close to getting a new, better job a couple times, it ultimately has not materialized.

As time passes, my impatience and discontentment keep growing, to the point where I am considering quitting without having a new job in sight. I feel disconnected from the company, the work, and my teammates... also, if I'm honest, I feel cynical and resentful. (Monday mornings have not been happy days for me lately.)

Emotionally, I'm so ready to quit – but reason tells me I can't, shouldn't. What if I don't find a new job soon? (I know for a fact that unemployment makes me anxious and depressed.) My husband works, and we have savings, so it's not like I would be completely vulnerable... but still, work gives me structure, something to do, and of course I can't be without making money for too long.

I asked the I Ching, "What if I quit?" and got 46. > 11. Seems like I Ching is saying quitting will be good for me, and that I should keep working towards my goals (meaningful work, higher pay etc.) and not worry. Do you interpret this as positive, as well?

I also asked "What if I stay?" and got an answer that seemed much more negative: 43.2.5 > 30.

Would appreciate your thoughts on this. Also, has anyone here ever made a seemingly "reckless" decision based on I Ching advice? Thank you :)

D

diamanda

Can we have another correction please?
43.2.5 leads to 55, not 30.
Maybe you got 43.2.5.6 > 30?

D

diamanda

Thanks for clarifying KM!

What if I quit? 46.1 > 11
The line speaks of something which sounds like a promotion. Is there a chance that if you tell them you quit they'll tempt you to stay?

What if I stay? 43.2.5 > 55
You'll continue to have stress and feel apprehensive, you'll continue to deal with 'weedy' people and issues. 55 shows a lot of something, perhaps a lot of opportunities. Overall this cast sounds like even if you stay, you'll continue to look for alternatives.

I'm not sure which one I'd go for if these were my casts. They both sound so and so. I don't like 11 in general, so in the first cast, it's the resulting hexagram which bothers me. In the second cast it's the lines that bother me. Perhaps I'd go for the second one, but that's just me - I guess it all depends on the level of how fed up you feel. It sounds to me like you've got a better chance to find a new job if you stay where you are for now.

killing moon

visitor
Reaction score
@diamanda I'm always in awe of how generous people are here in the Shared Readings forum. Thank you so much for sharing your impressions.

"The line speaks of something which sounds like a promotion. Is there a chance that if you tell them you quit they'll tempt you to stay?"

Yes. They already did, sort of. They know I'm unsatisfied and offered me a new role that may come with better pay. I'm just overall suspicious and am not sure that the new role will solve my problems with the team/company.

"Overall this cast sounds like even if you stay, you'll continue to look for alternatives."

That sounds about right.

"It sounds to me like you've got a better chance to find a new job if you stay where you are for now."

I agree. I just have to be a little more patient. (Thank you so much for your advice!)

P.S. Why don't you like 11?

D

diamanda

You're welcome!

About 11, I've had bitter-sweet experiences with it. Actually they were rather bitter, but with a tiny bit of sweet involved. Hence I've come to dislike it, despite it sounding so 'good'.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).