...life can be translucent

Menu

42.1.2.4 to 6, when a "good" reading changes to a "not-so-good" hexagram?

firerabbit

visitor
Reaction score
42.1.2.4 to 6, when a "good" reading changes to a "not-so-good" hexagram?

Hello,

So, there aren't any "good" or "bad" hexagrams necessarily, but nonetheless, sometimes the resulting hexagram almost seems to contradict the feel of the first. This was an instance of that for me.

'X' is someone I used to work with who I like very much and got on very well with, but we never quite connected beyond work before she left for a new job, and we largely fell out of contact afterwards. Two different uncanny little events occurred in the last year that reconnected us, and during the last one I was able to be with her one to one and talk a lot and felt a very genuine connection. Talking with her gave me some more insight on where she's coming from and it sounds like she's a bit emotionally reserved, likely from some past relationship stuff. She left town for a while shortly afterward, contacted me about a job opening up where she works (we'd talked about how I was contemplating changing jobs), and we haven't spoken since.

I admit I've been rather hesitant to initiate further because I've felt that while we certainly connect with each other on an intellectual and emotional level, I have a feeling that it might not be a longer term relationship, which I'd ideally like. We have slightly different lifestyles. But we get on so well, and I keep going back to thoughts about her. I genuinely enjoy her company and trust her, and would like to get to know her, and I feel strongly that she feels similar about me based on our past interactions.

I recently asked the Yijing, "How would it be if X and I dated?" and received hexagram 42, changing lines 1, 2, and 4 to hexagram 6.

42 to me implies that "going for" dating her would be generally advantageous.
Line 1 seems to reinforce that, to "go for it" would be met without resistance and things should go smoothly.
Line 2 agrees, and is arguably one of the more positive lines in the whole Yijing, so long as one "perseveres."
Line 4 implies, I think, communication between people and maybe some change (of place or "the capital")

However this leads to hexagram 6, which is much more complicated than the general "yes, plus, good, go" of 42. This implies conflict and tension, at least if one carries something out to completion. But meeting halfway is the way to go. So perhaps that implies taking it slow and not jumping in too deep, too fast? A reading from months back, asked in a different way but still regarding her, came up Hexagram 44 unchanging, which perhaps vibes with this message.

I wanted to post here to get some outside perspective, so if you've read this far, thank you. How do you read it? I would value your input.

fr

Lavalamp

visitor
Reaction score
With 3 moving lines or less, I think Hex 6 is not the future, but describes the current situation. It describes the context, the aspect of your question it is answering about.
I think over all it says this is likely doable but it will take some effort on your part.

- LL

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
So, there aren't any "good" or "bad" hexagrams necessarily, but nonetheless, sometimes the resulting hexagram almost seems to contradict the feel of the first. This was an instance of that for me.

Your problem is in treating the relating hexagram as 'the result' - here is Hilary's Blog post on that which I think addresses the problem you pose in your title

https://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/answers/2013/06/01/the-old-resulting-hexagram-conundrum/

You take 6 as where you are, or as the surrounding circumstances - or take it in any kind of way you sense it to be as long as you don't fix it rigidly into a position of 'the future'. Sometimes it might have elements of the future but don't hem it in as 'the result'.

I recently asked the Yijing, "How would it be if X and I dated?" and received hexagram 42, changing lines 1, 2, and 4 to hexagram 6.

42 to me implies that "going for" dating her would be generally advantageous.
Line 1 seems to reinforce that, to "go for it" would be met without resistance and things should go smoothly.
Line 2 agrees, and is arguably one of the more positive lines in the whole Yijing, so long as one "perseveres."
Line 4 implies, I think, communication between people and maybe some change (of place or "the capital")

However this leads to hexagram 6, which is much more complicated than the general "yes, plus, good, go" of 42. This implies conflict and tension, at least if one carries something out to completion. But meeting halfway is the way to go. So perhaps that implies taking it slow and not jumping in too deep, too fast? A reading from months back, asked in a different way but still regarding her, came up Hexagram 44 unchanging, which perhaps vibes with this message.

So the hexagrams of 6 and 42 are interacting together in the now. 6 is not referring to some end result.

Hexagram 6 here may indicate being internally conflicted and so indecisive, it may also indicate arguing with how things are. Why is 6 environment in which you cast this ? I don't know but at least it isn't the fixed end point of the reading. You ask how it would be if you dated but you haven't even asked her yet so I just can't take this as a picture of future that hasn't happened.

So I think I would take it as an encouragement to ask her on a date and go from there rather than try to look ahead to what the actual dating might be like.

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
when a "good" reading....

It wasn't a good or favorable reading for a relationship.

6 is an inherent part of the reading:
Conflict or Arguing.
You cannot comprehend the reading without the 6.

Increased Conflict or Conflicted Increase.

D

diamanda

How would it be if X and I dated? 42.1.2.4 > 6

It would be good at first. However, there's a third party in this equation (not sure if person or situation), and she would eventually move away again. The future result is 6, conflict, conflicting interests, it would end with arguments.

It's very common in life for something to start well, then end badly, and the same is true about casts.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
It's very common in life for something to start well, then end badly, and the same is true about casts.

Well it seems that something starts well and ends badly quite often when you have the relating hexagram as the fixed future. There's no point in anything if you just say it's going to end badly then that takes away the impetus for even trying anything. It just makes everything a dead end - it makes a lot of readings a total dead end before the person even started.

What would be the point of those lovely lines in 42 ? All eradicated because it ends in 6. So in your eyes and in Moss Elk's by the look of it any cast that has relating hexagram as 6 is going to end badly ? Funny that I have a journal full of casts where 6 as the relating didn't just end in everything going badly.

As you know I absolutely disagree with you on this.

I don't know if there's any future in this but I don't think it's an absolutely closed case because it is fated to end badly after starting well. I guess if you believe everything is predetermined and fixed in stone ahead of time then you might believe this prediction. But if you believe in this kind of prediction you may as well just give up the idea of making a path of growth or choice with the I Ching.

marybluesky

visitor
Reaction score
Hello Firerabbit!

I don't see Hexagram 6 as negative. Conflicts/arguments are natural parts of life. Their effect depend on how we deal with them+ surrounding circumstances. Conflict can be productive, indeed.

"How would it be if X and I dated?" 42, changing lines 1, 2, and 4 to hexagram 6.

Hexagram 42 changing to 6 can be "increasing conflict", but also "increasing through conflict". Maybe the conflict is her reservation about being emotionally open, which is to be overcome by all the good points indicated in the lines?

42.1: "It is beneficial to undertake a great enterprise. Sublime good fortune. No blame." Initiate the relationship! It's the time. Don't wait anymore.

42.2: "Someone increases it by ten double-strands of turtles; you cannot deflect it; permanent determination is auspicious. The king uses aromatic grass to Di; auspicious." No obstacles! Maybe she is waiting, and will beautifully reward your initiation? Work on your relationship steadily. It can be a gift from heaven.

42.4: "He walked up the center of the hall and informed the Prince of his fealty. It is favorable to be entrusted with the task of removing the capital." Show your loyalty, and she'll follow you. You will be trusted to "remove the capital", to do a big work -moving in together??

Sounds very auspicious. Notice: the lines talk about being determined and loyal. I think it advises you not to lose your center through the conflicts.

Good Luck!

firerabbit

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses, and sorry for a late response from me.

I've reflected a bit on this. I asked a further question, the response which I found rather funny:
What would be the best way for X and I to relate going forward? Hexagram 41.4.5 changing to 10.
I laughed because it is kind of the opposite of the first--Decrease vs. Increase--but it hit those 10 pairs of tortoise shells again with line 5.

This reading helped clarify my mind a lot. I'd built up this pressure to act, but I've realized I honestly don't feel the correct motivation to just call her up and try to strike something up. All of our previous interactions have been much more organic and informal, and I'm still sorting out some other things with myself (line 4) so don't feel it would be smart to rush into something simply for fear of missing an opportunity. The fifth line (to me) affirms my general feeling of trusting this person. I went for a bike ride and stopped by where she works last week, a cozy shop not far from my home, missed her, but I spoke to one of her colleagues/friends. I'll probably stop in again soon. (Hexagram 10?)

Thanks for all of your input.

firerabbit

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses, and sorry for a late response from me.

I've reflected a bit on this. I agree the 6 could mean this ends poorly, or it could lead to tension which is possible to avert or alleviate, or it could simply refer to my own conflicted ideas about all of this.

I asked a further question, the response which I found rather funny:
What would be the best way for X and I to relate going forward? Hexagram 41.4.5 changing to 10.
I laughed because it is kind of the opposite of the first--Decrease vs. Increase--but it again hit those 10 pairs of tortoise shells with line 5.

This reading helped clarify my mind a lot. I'd built up this pressure to act, but I've realized I honestly don't feel the correct motivation to just call her up and try to strike something up. All of our previous interactions have been much more organic and informal, and I'm still sorting out some other things with myself (line 4) so don't feel it would be smart to rush into something simply for fear of missing an opportunity. The fifth line (to me) affirms my general feeling of trusting this person. I went for a bike ride last week and stopped by where she works, a cozy shop not too far from my home, missed her, but I spoke to one of her colleagues/friends. I'll probably stop in again soon. (Hexagram 10?)

Thanks again for all of your input. Always learning more working with the Yijing...

F

Freedda

Hello Firerabbit, and sorry for coming even later to the game. Looking at your query "how would it be if X and I dated," I can't help but think that maybe Yi's first response would be:

"Why are you asking me this? It's your date!" To which Yi might add:

"There really are no guarantees in life."

But setting aside my gentle ribbing, and looking at the cast you got - 42.1.2.4 moving to 6:

I've heard Hexagram 42, called "Increasing" and "Intensifying." Here you have the trigram Wind/Wood (adapting, interacting) above the trigram Thunder (shock, arousal). So, ... getting imaginative with the imagery, here you have a 'thunder tree' with it's roots planted in Thunder (instead of in the earth), and its branches and leaves are sparking with potential!

So, what might be our response to this? I suppose one could take action, e.g. ask X if they'd like to spend some time together - or whatever words work for you.

Or, ... one could instead go onto the internet and ask a group of total strangers thousands of miles away to interpret the chance musings of a 3,000 year old Chinese oracle, which is a treatise about how to live a simple and fulfilling (and hopefully at times spontaneous) life.

So, given that the sparks of the thunder tree are only meant to last for a brief time, what would you do?

The first and second moving lines - while also offering something positive - could mean that there is something out of balance at the beginning of your adventure - for example, that you have not even asked X out, but you are already predicting it won't work out.

Hexagram 6 seems to be mirroring this difficult beginning and your hesitancy: looking again at the trigrams, you have the vast potential of Heaven above but only a watery Abyss full of worry and fear below ... I mean, good god, is it no wonder you're hesitant about asking this person out?

But another name for 6 is "Resolving Conflict" which could mean that this is not a done deal by any means, but it is left up to you to decide ....

So, perhaps using the heavens above and the abyss below as 'allies' (and there are no right or wrong answers here), you might ask: do I want to live with the consequences of a 'dream deferred'? or, go for it and see what happens, but without guarantees?

Best, David

Last edited:

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
I’m looking at 42.4 and the comment about moving the capital. I wonder if 42 is a description of what has happened between you so far. You had the positive interactions (42.1 and 42.2) and they led to her making helpful suggestions for the possibility of you changing jobs. 6. Conflict then could be pointing to the fact that your positive connections so far have all been based on your relationship as co-workers and now you are wanting to change this and create a connection based on personal friendship. Hexagram 6 does not have to be a negative omen. The Image tells what is necessary to avoid conflict from the get go = simply have the agreements in place from the get go. Thus you had a good relationship as coworkers but you must not assume this means she would be interested in a personal relationship. She might be but so far you just don’t know. So it’s good that you ask how to move forward. You comment that you feel a bit hesitant so I think you got a perfect answer: 41-10 Decrease fear, have courage!

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).