...life can be translucent

Menu
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What are your favorite I Ching books and articles?

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hmesker View Post
    Although most visitors of this discussion board will probably not read German I would nevertheless put Dennis Schilling's Yijing in the spotlight (https://www.amazon.de/Yijing-Buch-Wa...dp/3458700161/). I have not yet found it's equal in any other language. It is well-researched with copious amount of endnotes and explanations of the translator's choices for a certain translation. But most important:

It has a ribbon. Nothing can beat a book with a ribbon.
    Footnotes and a ribbon?

That settles it. Must buy.
    Forum remodelling coming soon!
    See this thread for news and previews.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rosada View Post
    What really opened the IChing for me was when I started reading the I Ching from start to finish, that is, not just random lines as an oracle but rather reading all the lines and then reading the hexagrams in sequence and trying to understand why one hexagram led to the next.
    Interesting! I've long contemplated doing this, but then another part of me seems to believe that the I Ching cannot and should not be systematized this way... that there is something 'non-linear' about it that can and should only be grasped tacitly, through experience with it.

But you feel like that attempt to understand it as a whole has really helped you? Would you be willing to share some of the specific insights you got out of that process?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Hi Liquidity,

Well first off I should mention what even got me into reading the book cover to cover. At first I tried to read Wilhelm and fell asleep before I got through the introduction. But then I got a hold of The I Ching Made Easy by Spear. The authors gave very brief summaries of their thoughts on each hexagram and then included sample readings for the lines which were based on questions they had asked while traveling the world. So as you read their book and their examples you're also enjoying reading the tale of their journey - so this sort of sucks you in to want to read the whole book. (Hilary does something similar now with WikiWing where we can all post real life examples of each line). While doing this I recognized that my own questions seemed to be getting more specific answers. Like the more I knew of all the possible responses the better the chances were the I Ching would give me the one that made the clearest sense. Also, when I knew what all the possible answers were I was more able to recognize if the one I got was particularly favorable or not. I mean, "Perseverance furthers" might sound good but it's not as strong a positive as "Supreme good fortune!!!" so it's helpful to know your options. Then what was really helpful was to see that while there are 64 different hexagrams they aren't totally different, rather they seem to be refinements on reoccurring themes, so as you read the whole book you come to see the I Ching's underlying philosophy which I would say is something along the lines of...
    Life goes on.. so stay healthy...surround yourself with positive helpful friends..don't go too far off in any one direction but get feedback and make course corrections..don't be afraid to speak up when you're right and don't delay admitting when you're wrong...share and be helpful..it's usually best to do the normal expected thing...go with the flow...life goes on...

Thanks for asking!
    Rosada

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)

Another spin-off thread with some moved posts:

What does it mean to 'understand' the Yi?
    Forum remodelling coming soon!
    See this thread for news and previews.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2