...life can be translucent

Menu

negative space described in an unusual way?

philippa

visitor
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a truly odd answer which I have trouble getting creative with.

I've been trying out different working spaces on and off this year. One space I really like is my home office. But lately, I found myself more pessimistic generally when I'm in my home office vs. other working spaces. There really is no reason to because it's a comfortable space. And there was nothing particularly negative happened there.

Feeling particularly puzzled, I asked Yi, what gives? Answer: 3.4 > 17.

Huh? This almost sounds like I'm in search of something (well I'm trying to wrap up my dissertation) and somehow that triggers a reactive response? This sounds so speculative that I can't even convince myself of it. Honestly, if the answer were some lines of 18, I would've been much satisfied with the answer. (...The room is cursed! :p)

Comments?

Philippa

J

jesed

Dear Philippa:

..or maybe 57.2 would be a practical answer.. just do a little exorcism in the room :eek:

Now, talking seriously

I don't undertand well the english expresion "what gives?" (Sorry, my english is pretty basic)

1.- Does it mean something like asking for the cause? somethig like "why i feel this way?"

In that case, seems to me that when you work at home you are some kind of isolated, and that is not helping you (or could it be that making your home an office is related with trying to avoid something/someone?)

By the way... 18 does has to do with your answer¡¡¡¡ the past cause of 3.4 is in 18.4

Best wishes

ewald

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Philippa - I agree with Jesed. 3.4 is about being separated from people (like when a team splits up), and looking for connection to people.

philippa

visitor
Reaction score
jesed said:
..or maybe 57.2 would be a practical answer.. just do a little exorcism in the room :eek:

Yes! Indeed!

jesed said:
I don't undertand well the english expresion "what gives?" (Sorry, my english is pretty basic)

1.- Does it mean something like asking for the cause? somethig like "why i feel this way?"

The "real" question is exactly how you phrased you: why do I feel this way? Or even more specifically, what is it about this working space that makes me feel this way?

jesed said:
In that case, seems to me that when you work at home you are some kind of isolated, and that is not helping you (or could it be that making your home an office is related with trying to avoid something/someone?)

This is funny that both you and ewald made the same comment. I can see that the interpretation anchors on the clause 乘馬班如 (lining up the horses) while looking for a mate (婚媾).

Generally, 3 builds upon the image of searching/seeking a mate. The puzzling part is, if this is indeed the case, why line 4? Why not line 2, or line 3, or even line 6?

But to answer whether "isolation" is indeed the case, I do go to my regular office on a regular basis. But I don't go as often as I used to be as I have been having a lot of trouble concentrating in my regular office.

jesed said:
By the way... 18 does has to do with your answer¡¡¡¡ the past cause of 3.4 is in 18.4

How did you come up with 18? I always thought you invert every line of the answer, in this case, 3 inverted turns into 50... But 50.4 does turn into 18. This is an interesting technique.

I wouldn't know how to interpret 18. Generally, I have trouble understanding 18 other than the basic stuff such as looking at the fanyao, in this case, 50.4. A burden I was having trouble with?

Jesed, would you mind elaborating a bit further?

Philippa

Last edited:

ewald

visitor
Reaction score
This is funny that both you and ewald made the same comment. I can see that the interpretation anchors on the clause 乘馬班如 (lining up the horses) while looking for a mate (婚媾).
I'm translating 乘馬班如 with "Carriage and horses are separated" (so I agree with Wilhelm for a change ;) ). In line 4 one responds to the separation with search for a new union, in line 6 one grieves about it, and in line 2 one stops and postpones the project to a later, more suitable time.

I don't think line 3 is about a similar kind of separation. Line 3 is about being tempted to pursue something one isn't ready for.

Perhaps it would be interesting to inquire into why you find it hard to concentrate in your regular office.

miakoda

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Philippa:

Is there some piece of your dissertation that is missing or preventing you from moving forward? I'm flying by my instincts here, but it could be saying that it's not the space (in that you're fully arrayed, riding your horse), the room is ready, however, what you need is to seek alliances. It makes me wonder if the Yi is counseling you to find some outside help (matrimonial alliances) for the paper.

-Miakoda

J

jesed

Hi Philippa

I'll try to explain a little more.

1.- In traditional teachings, one fundamental issue is to localize the answer in the Time. (In 2 directions a) Search the Causes to know the Effects; b) Track-back from the Effects until its Causes)... You can see much of this stuff in Ta Chuan.

So, there are techniques to find the Objective Past Cause and the Objective Future Effect of any given hexagram.

In the same way, there are techniques to expand the understanding of any give line, in terms of cause and effects.

To find the effects of any line, you change only the line you are trying to understand. This is what Bradford called fan yao. As Bradford said in his work, this technique (dimension, in Bradford's work) is highly overlooked in general. But it is useful. In this case, the effect of 3.4 can be found in 17.4

In similar way of fan yao (and with similar degree of worth-ness), you can find the cause of any given line. In this case, you change ALL the lines EXCEPT the one you are trying to understand. So, the cause of 3.4 can be found in 18.4

2.- From here, you can made a story:
18.4 Past: There is something you was/are trying to avoid
3.4 Present: That made you be isolated, but the advice is to find company
17.4 Following the advice, you can find that having company is not a fault when you walk with truth and clarity

That's why i wrote not only about being isolated, but about being in your home to avoid something/someone.

Is like.. you decided to work in home to avoid something/someone (distractors?)... but being alone is neither usefull for you... the ideal is to work not-isolated, but remaining with honesty and clarity (don't allow distractors distract you?)

Talking with honesty (I hope you won't find this rude), I guess that the reason for not going so regularly to your office has deeper roots than just lacking of concentration... so, Ewald's suggestion about search why you cann't concentrate in regular office is pretty wise

3.- That interpretation was baring in mind that the question was "why I feel like this?". Now, if the issue is "what is in this place that makes me feel like this?", I come to another posible interpretations:

a) (Mine) Could it be that the place presents some kind of lack of order, that obstacles to put your toughts together? Had you consider a Feng Shui evaluation?

b) (Following Nigel) Could it be that being in home doesn't allow you to indetify yourself with the out-word task you are developing? (see Nigel's comment on 3.4)

Best wishes

Last edited:

philippa

visitor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am amazed at how perceptive at each of the readings are. I am grateful.

Thanks to Ewald for mentioning the alternative translation. The carriages and horses separated is not what immediately comes to mind. I'm leaning towards the "lining up the horses" translation, until Jesed's mentioning of feng shui. Interestingly enough, about two months ago, trying to change the "air flow" in my bedroom (or "feng shui"), I moved some of the furniture. One piece is in fact rotated 90 degrees, essentially created a "barrier" between the room and the rest of the house.

Philippa

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).