Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom
hilary
Administrator
- Joined
- Apr 8, 1970
- Messages
- 22,357
- Reaction score
- 5,244
I spend a lot of time thinking about what we ask the Yi and helping other people find their questions. This is a bit odd, because finding the question really isn’t complicated at all. It’s not a matter of devising a question nor even really of deciding on one, but of*finding it: discovering what you’re already asking.I think it’s one of those things that are simple but not necessarily easy. And when it isn’t easy – when your question doesn’t leap to the eye – then*talking to yourself helps to unearth it. It works well to ask yourself questions.
The simplest one*is, ‘What do I need to know?’
(It’s worth digging a bit more into the answer to that one, to test its truth.*Why do you need to know this? What difference will the answer make?)
Another good question question:*
‘Where is my choice?’
One way I sometimes help people find questions is through the application of some quite dry logic, to find just where they’re perched*among the branches of their ‘decision tree’ –‘If I do x, I could do it this way or that way or maybe that way, and I could do that now or later and when should I tell my friends…?’
– well, your question might be about how to do x, but it might*be about*whether to do it at all. We often need to*disentangle ourselves from the twiggy bits to get back towards the trunk of the decision and find the choice we have*now.
This kind of ‘decision reading’ seems to be only a small subset of possible readings. Certainly the ‘decision tree’ approach*isn’t always the most effective way to find someone’s true, heartfelt question. (You might end up barking up the wrong tree altogether…
There is always a choice somewhere. It’s not necessarily ‘what to do’, of course – there may not be anything to be done, or you may not have*much meaningful choice in your actions. But you’re still consulting Yi about a choice – maybe how to be with the thing, how to think about it, how to relate to*it…
And if you’re getting tangled up in the ‘decision tree’, it may be that there’s a prior choice of how to be and relate.
For example –*I’ve been sunk deep in redesign work for months now, and while I’m making respectable progress, ye gods and small fishes is this taking ages. What should or could I be outsourcing, and to whom, and*how could I avoid having an experience like last time (outsourcing to an ‘absentee web designer’), if it’s even possible to be sure of avoiding people like that…?
But before I get embroiled in*what and how and even*whether to outsource – where is my choice, really?*I think it’s in how to think about what I’m doing, as*I spend hours and hours every day up to my neck in templates and css files. Is this wise? Is this self-sabotage? Time-wasting? Is it some other thing I haven’t imagined? I don’t want to start taking decisions about what to do next until I’m more settled in my attitude to what I’m doing.
So my first question was*What am I doing with the redesign?*(and my second one was …and what should I be doing with it?*closely followed by*how about hiring this person to help with the forum menu?)
(What I’m doing, by the way, turns out to be Hexagram 31 changing at lines 4 and 5 to 15 – in other words, not self-sabotage nor yet completely off-track, though with some to-ing and fro-ing.*I’ve added a note to WikiWing about line 4.)
Last edited: