Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom
soft_helion
visitor
- Joined
- Mar 8, 2007
- Messages
- 10
- Reaction score
- 0
almost all of the books out there on the i ching present the text as a tool for one particular form of divination. the divination is taken as a description of the attitude we should take, and of the most profitable course of action.
I have seen one book, "the medical i ching," that uses the text in a slightly different way, to produce TCM diagnoses.
coming from a background with the tarot, I have wondered about the possibility of using the oracle to ask more general questions, to get information about situations or individuals and not just one's conduct. this task is made more difficult because the texts are all phrased as though one asked "how should I act," forcing me to "translate" them into other terms.
however, in my experience the oracle seems willing to answer these types of questions when the information is useful and appropriate. and I am not fluent in chinese, but the more I look at the original text, the more I get a sense that there's a lot of imagery and poetry going on that both lends itself to this sort of inquiry.
so my question is, do others use the text in this way? if so, how do you look at the text? what translations/approaches do you find most useful? if not, do you think this is a misuse of the oracle? why?
I have seen one book, "the medical i ching," that uses the text in a slightly different way, to produce TCM diagnoses.
coming from a background with the tarot, I have wondered about the possibility of using the oracle to ask more general questions, to get information about situations or individuals and not just one's conduct. this task is made more difficult because the texts are all phrased as though one asked "how should I act," forcing me to "translate" them into other terms.
however, in my experience the oracle seems willing to answer these types of questions when the information is useful and appropriate. and I am not fluent in chinese, but the more I look at the original text, the more I get a sense that there's a lot of imagery and poetry going on that both lends itself to this sort of inquiry.
so my question is, do others use the text in this way? if so, how do you look at the text? what translations/approaches do you find most useful? if not, do you think this is a misuse of the oracle? why?
).