Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom
S
svenrus
Guest
A question, shortly:
I've been searching for the original meaning of so many of the pictures in I Ching, to example the old hexagramtags given in Richard Rutt's work on the ancient Zhouyi like elephant hex 16, oriole hex 30, pig hex 33 - and within the Judgement, Pictures and lines of the hexagrams, like 'a crying pheasant' hex 36, baseline and so on...
On the internet I've searched on words like 'chinese symbols', chinese myth'....
In chinese astrology some of the symbolic animals is to be found, like rat, pig, ox.... and I suppose that these caracteristic of those animals reaches far back in time; like to an example the astrological pig points toward wealth....
Not to unterstand the meaning behind these pictures as it originally was meant is to be unable to fully unterstand what the I Ching is saying....
And as these symbolic language was formed thousands of years ago much of it is probably lost, I guess (?). At that time taken to be implicit when using a picture to say something, today we have to guess its meaning - said in other words: "Over the hill"; today I don't have to explain what I mean when saying those words about myself, age 61, but maybe if someone read this sentense in a thousand years from now they will probably look at 'Hill' as the concrete mountain....
So: does anyone know where to find information about the ancient/original meaning behind the chinese pictorial symbolism ?
I've been searching for the original meaning of so many of the pictures in I Ching, to example the old hexagramtags given in Richard Rutt's work on the ancient Zhouyi like elephant hex 16, oriole hex 30, pig hex 33 - and within the Judgement, Pictures and lines of the hexagrams, like 'a crying pheasant' hex 36, baseline and so on...
On the internet I've searched on words like 'chinese symbols', chinese myth'....
In chinese astrology some of the symbolic animals is to be found, like rat, pig, ox.... and I suppose that these caracteristic of those animals reaches far back in time; like to an example the astrological pig points toward wealth....
Not to unterstand the meaning behind these pictures as it originally was meant is to be unable to fully unterstand what the I Ching is saying....
And as these symbolic language was formed thousands of years ago much of it is probably lost, I guess (?). At that time taken to be implicit when using a picture to say something, today we have to guess its meaning - said in other words: "Over the hill"; today I don't have to explain what I mean when saying those words about myself, age 61, but maybe if someone read this sentense in a thousand years from now they will probably look at 'Hill' as the concrete mountain....
So: does anyone know where to find information about the ancient/original meaning behind the chinese pictorial symbolism ?

