...life can be translucent

Menu

3 choices? (with a focus on 2.2)

em ching

visitor
Reaction score
Hello,

It's been a while since I've contributed anything here but I'm still carrying the I ching along with me :) I have started using the marble method too, which is apparently more accurate than 3 coins because the process makes it most likely for you to produce an unchanging yin line, which due to the passive nature of yin, is less likely to move than an acive yang line.. thus you're least likely to get a yin changing to a yang line.. anyhoo. It does feel different doing it this way actually... softer answers maybe or that could be in my head.

I feel I have three choices ahead of me but I have a feeling I'm not the one in the driving seat anyway so maybe I needn't fret so much. I'm relaxing at home at the moment but looking to leave soon, although not sure what'd be most suited to me - or favourable given the current climate (of my abilities and needs as well as the economic climate etc.)

1. Pursue living abroad even if I don't get my ideal position (as a writer/editor in an educational institution) and have to teach English again (which I kind of enjoyed in China but I don't feel I was the best at it - but I had a lot of fun and travelling in general is always so rewarding!)

2.2 > 7

Looking into this line it seems to be advising to let nature take it's course - 'things evolve as they should' - and no need to study and rehearse? (Although I'm sure I will have to if I want to be a good teacher, which I don't feel wholeheartedly inclined to do at the moment) It talks about repetition - which would be the case as I taught English in China recently. As a means to be paid? But then it also says 'Doing nothing nothing not done'? Confusing line for me. Maybe it means whatever I relax into. (I am also waiting to hear from the writer/editor position about an interview, so it does depend on them) so I should let myself be guided?

2. Pursue work experience with a literary agency in London and then look for jobs in publishing? (ie. start on my 'career' and stay in Britain). Appeals because of the idea of independency and making money and pursuing my interest.

2.1,2 > 19

Same line plus 2.1! Which seems to mean if I follow this path it'll solidify and I'll be on firm ground - supported and stable. And it'd also be a period of growth and profit if I follow this course. I guess it's kind of the most sensible of the three. But also maybe that it could dominate my life and I'd find it hard to get out of? I.e. I wouldn't be able to go gallavanting off and I wouldn't be as free as I've been in my life up till now... entering the world of 9-5 etc, and staying there?

3. Finally, I have been attending creative writing classes, on and off, and really enjoy them. I'd like to think myself a writer, (budding that is), but I don't know if I can justify it because I don't feel that I'm good at writing stories, in day-to-day life when I have spare time I am not excited or compelled to write (though i wish I was), but then again I often write sentences and dialogues, and have ideas, just when I start writing a story with actually characters etc. I start to lose interest and stop short, or keep going but not seem to be able to write what I enjoy reading myself! Although I do get praise and encouragement from my creative writing tutor, I guess I don't believe it that much.

I asked what if I stayed home and saved money (which has the danger of me going mad at home though and possibly feel deprived of experiences and people etc) for doing a Masters in Creative writing next year in the University of East Anglia (Norwich) which my tutor told me was the best place to study. Thing is, it's stupidly expensive (writing MAs being almost £1000 more than other MAs for some reason!) And I'm not sure if I have enough talent to justify doing it, and it seems a bit frivolous considering... But then again, I'm pretty sure it'd put me on the best footing to prioritize writing. And maybe you just need to get into the habit of writing stories. I often think, when I start, oh this plot-line has been done before etc., but I guess most are recycled but that doesn't stop you enjoying it, if the writing is different and of an original view-point etc. I love reading novels - especially realistic ones - and don't get bored, but when I try to write my own, I kind of get bored... or at least too philosophical and introspective rather than writing about action and describing characters and settings etc..

It's just with publishing, I'd be looking for editing positions which I have experience in and enjoy when I'm editing something interesting, but you're basically reading something that came from someone else and not having to think much. Although I have a passion for literature and would love to read manuscripts etc and give criticism etc.

I received: 35.1,3,6 > 55

Could this be saying that though I lack self-confidence in my ability (35.1), I'll have support (35.3) but it'll require really going for it (and I could go OTT ie. spending lots of money on it?) (35.6) Perhaps if I didn't try at least, I'd regret it down the line?
And could hex 55 be suggesting it'd be a good opportunity to take advantage of doing now while I'm young and without responsibility? Or that real life will eclipse the idea? Or I'd reach a peak, maybe I already have, and my interest and ability to write would wane?

I often think maybe I need to live life more, have more experience, before I could write properly anyway. I think if you want to be a writer it's important to say yes to things, so that you have lots of situations to draw upon etc.

I would really appreciate any advice re these lines. Not 100% sure. I don't think any of them are bad or warning me off any of the three, or am I not seeing something?

Thanks for your help and for reading!

:bows:

Last edited:

em ching

visitor
Reaction score
I know this post is long, but if anyone feels they can see which reading is most favourable I'd be really grateful. Also I do generally get confused about hex 55 and especially in this instance - it seems to be about making decisions and not mourning a loss (not sure if that could be the loss when I realise it's not for me?) but also about being at the centre of an abundance of resources which you need to take charge of...

I asked again today, what was my next step and received 40.2 which is described by Hilary very aptly to my situation - three foxes (3 choices) - exposed in a field - a time to differentiate between fantasy and reality. I need to shoot my arrow towards what is true... :confused:

PS Hilary if you're reading; I love your translations and intend to buy your book when released!? (not yet on Amazon) :)

my_key

visitor
Reaction score
Hi EmChing

It sounds like life is at a real crossroads for you at the moment. I'd agree that none seem to be adverse oracles more a case of different ways to walk. Here's a few ideas that may help you :

2.2>7 - This line always seems to me to be a natural way to do things. The most is achieved from it because it's what should be happening........ more of a calling than a doing of things. Receptive to leading.

2.1,2 > 19 - Line 1 is the one to watch out for here. This option might look good to begin with but you may be having to change course. This won't be what you think it will be lot's of hard work to get to the end result here. Receptive to A New Way.

35.1,3,6 > 55 - Lots of effort for you here, lot's of opportunities to test yourself and those close around you. Is the end result, and how you will truly view it, really going to be worth all the effort? The Abundance of Progress.

It's always good to remember that all roads lead to Rome.

Take Care

Mike

Last edited:

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
The only answer that seems viable is the first one, 2.2 > 7. The honourable teacher.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
The first two options almost look like they will bring you to the same place...

In the 35>55 both lines 1 and 6 move which can indicate, to me at least, that this is an episode, one works through the whole episode in one go and I feel here it may be a bit of a dead end. 55 can mean you have gone as far as you can go within this particular phase of progress with the writing. I also have the feeling you may want to get out as soon as you get there...mainly because both lines 1 and 6 indicate something worked through pretty quick...it actually might not be challenging enough for you ?

However I certainly wouldn't take it as don't do the writing course either if you really want to...but its worth considering if it might end up a dead end. All depends what you want...

The first option looks right and effortless, the second option with line one also moving may indicate that that route 'fixes' you more in a certain course. As you said thats a step on a career path...you may not want to be fixed so soon so the first option may seem better

Last edited:

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
2.2 > 7
Hexagram 7 for a teaching position - very apposite! Shi is not only the army but also the leader, the one who has to keep them all in order. Another meaning: master, teacher, tutor. I think it points to a solid position but without anything creative. No special skills need to be acquired, your own character does the job (2.2)

2.1,2 > 19
Hoarfrost means you have to decide before the cold time arrives. Do it now, or forget it. Yi doesn't seem to doubt your talent (2.2). I must admit that I don't know what 19 means here. Maybe something might 'come your way'?

35.1,3,6 > 55
Looks to me as if Yi doesn't want you to stay home. Go conquer the world, or a career, or whatever (55). Advance (35), use your gifts! Three moving lines: roll up your sleeves and get going.

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
The size and layout of your presentation suggest that you would excel in literary work, choice 2. Couldn't you apply for work now, and then go with another choice if nothing turns up?

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
2.2 > 7
2.1,2 > 19

In my experience, there has always been some false assumption hiding behind the 2's. With 2.2, Going straight ahead, it's okay. But not what you thought it was going to be. Maybe an illusion will be burst. The 7 means 'grieving.' Is that what you really want? ... With the hex 2's at first you go in the wrong direction, but later you find guidance along the right path. Do not take the initiative. Well, how could you apply, if you didn't take the initiative?

I often think maybe I need to live life more, have more experience, before I could write properly anyway.

Yes, to be a good writer, one needs a subject. One hits upon one's true subject by living one's life ...

Seems to me Yi is saying the Masters Degree would be costly, Em Ching, confirming what you were thinking.

Line 1 moving; it's ok to go forward with this, but being accepted formally may take some time. Someone has to approve it. The third line moving is very auspicious. You would be accepted. No problem with that.

I think the meaning of line 6 moving in this case is that your motives are not 100% correct. Perhaps you want to do this to prove to someone they were wrong about you?

Seems to me, just on the basis of common sense, that if you are considering the fields of publishing and writing, you might get your Masters Degree first, since for many good positions it is a requirement. Anyway, 55 means the peak and so you would reach a zenith of expression.

Last edited:

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
2.2 > 7
I think it points to a solid position but without anything creative. No special skills need to be acquired, your own character does the job (2.2)

Yes, I agree with Heylise. But if Em Ching would need to acquire more skills in order to land the teaching position, maybe not worth it?

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
But if Em Ching would need to acquire more skills in order to land the teaching position, maybe not worth it?

She is already teaching.

To teach in China, in the junior schools, no special qualifications are needed.

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
i have been attending creative writing classes, on and off, and really enjoy them. I'd like to think myself a writer, (budding that is), but i don't know if i can justify it because i don't feel that i'm good at writing stories, in day-to-day life when i have spare time i am not excited or compelled to write (though i wish i was), but then again i often write sentences and dialogues, and have ideas, just when i start writing a story with actually characters etc. I start to lose interest and stop short, or keep going but not seem to be able to write what i enjoy reading myself!

ginnie said:
Seems to me, just on the basis of common sense, that if you are considering the fields of publishing and writing, you might get your Masters Degree first, since for many good positions it is a requirement. Anyway, 55 means the peak and so you would reach a zenith of expression.

I think that what em ching says about her writing skills speaks volumes about her capabilities in the field of creative writing don't you, and therefore she does indeed need to use commonsense as well as be realistic about her actual chances of ever succeeding.

Remember the other girl, "youngmaid" who was very qualified in the field of publishing but could make no headway at all in England so she returned to the USA as I advised. Em ching will not fare well in this bad economic climate if she tries to chase publishing work/career.

Last edited:

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
I think that what em ching says about her writing skills speaks volumes about her capabilities in the field of creative writing don't you, and therefore she does indeed need to use commonsense as well as be realistic about her actual chances of ever succeeding.

Yes, Willowfox is right. Everyone who ever glowed with pride at getting an "A" on a paper for school begins to think they have what it takes to make make a career in writing some day. Excellent writers are a dime a dozen-- and creative writing is one of the most highly competitive fields. Someone whose interest dwindles away in the middle could not possibly make it through to the end.

Anyway, publishing companies are more interested in publishing nonfiction, which sells better. People don't realize that publishing is big business. Publishers are not in the habit of taking chances with their investments.

peter2610

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Em Ching,

Q1: Pursue living abroad? Hex 2.2 > 7

This hexagram symbolizes the qualities of passive devotion, and wisdom in allowing events to develop and unfold, of creative non-action.
Second Yin: Straight, square, great. Without purpose, yet nothing remains unfurthered.
In my view, this couldn't really be much clearer. The line is indicating that by remaining where you are (straight,square), without change in direction or purpose you will be proceeding correctly on your path. Even though it might seem that you are not being dynamic or productive, you are, in fact, heading exactly towards where you should be going. Hence "Nothing remains unfurthered." There is hardly another line in the I Ching that encapsulates creative non-action in the way that this line does.
The Zhi Gua, Hex 7, The Army, indicates the self-discipline and resolve required to follow this path in the face of numerous distracting influences and ideas.

Q2: Pursue work experience? Hex 2.1.2 > 19

The I Ching is giving you virtually the same answer as the previous one. The additional First Yin - "When there is hoarfrost underfoot, solid ice is not far off.....When the dark power begins to grow rigid and continues in this way, things reach a point of solid ice" - is warning that if you continue thinking in this way, your thoughts will eventually manifest into inappropriate physical action. The Fan Yao for this line, 24.1, is urging you to return from an incorrect perspective. The Zhi Gua, Hex 19, is suggesting that you oversee and nurture the growth of true yang by allowing your present situation to develop.

Q3: Staying at home. Hex 35.1.3.6 > 55

Li over K'un. Inwardly there is modest devotion, externally there is clarity. Calmly, faithfully and modestly following your path with devotion and clarity, with each day your virtue is increased.
First Yin: "Progressing, but turned back. Perseverance brings good fortune..." Your career path will eventually become clear, when the conditions are correct. Until then you must be prepared to wait. Try to keep your trust in this direction even though there is no visible progress at the beginning. The Fan Yao, 21.1, indicates holding back as part of the process of penetrating true principle, seeing how the universal process unfolds.
Third Yin: "All are in accord. Remorse disappears" - Things open up, possibly this could relate to the opportunity of undertaking a Masters Degree, but it is more likely to the opening up of trust in the path of creative non-action. To quote Chi-hsu-Ou-i: "Living in obscurity to seek one's aim, carrying out one's duty to arrive on the right path, thus 'the aim is upward progress.' "
Top Yang: "Making progress with the horns..." - This could possibly indicate your rebellion against adopting a passive approach, against the time taken for this option to open up and develop.
The Zhi Gua Hex 55, represents two aspects: Firstly there is the danger of obfuscation and eclipse created by too many options for action. These ideas appear rational and sensible, but they eclipse the real direction, hence warnings of broken arms etc. Secondly, the hexagram indicates the eventual emergence of the correct direction as 'lines' come near and become clearer.

Your follow-up reading, 40.2 > 16, fits in with the above readings in the sense of moving away from the plausible ideas that present themselves as options before you.

Whilst these readings are fairly clear as to what not to do, they are not giving much guidance as to your eventual path. This is probably because the conditions for that direction are not yet developed, hence the I Ching can't actually point you towards a specific action, but can only indicate that you hold back and allow things to unfold. Meanwhile I would use the time to ask very broad and general questions about possible career options, just to try to identify the general area of your future activity. Once that has been clearly identified you can then go into more specific details.

Hope this helps. Peter

Last edited:
S

sooo

Why not study and teach writing at the same time? It seems to be your bliss.

7, 19, 35 and 55 are (depending on lines) take charge images.

2.2 allows a place for something to happen, to become real and dimensionally manifest.

2.1. I think you may be experiencing 'paralysis of analysis'.

peter2610

visitor
Reaction score
PS:

The parallel nuclear process to 35.1.3.6 > 55 is Hex 39.2.4 > 28 This again is suggesting the need for keeping still in the face of possible error brought on by excessive yang dynamism.

39.2 represents having the flexibility to remain faithful to the universal process in the face of difficulty (King and Minister remain faithful). This ties in with the Fan Yao for this line, 48.2, which suggests that the guidance given by the I Ching might not be followed.

39.4 In the body of the K'an, water, trigram, one at fourth yin has passed the point of stopping, represented by the third line of Ken - Keeping Still. Fourth yin is urged to come back from difficulty and fall back on third yang in order to regain the safety of keeping still.

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
Astrologers say that in the skies above us has formed a grand cross in which six planets oppose each other. The profound effect of this is difficulty in making decisions -- because at this time there is no right decision, no matter what question you are asking.

Maybe best to make no decisions at this time. Creative non-action, as Peter posted, would seem to be the way to go ....

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
Maybe best to make no decisions at this time. Creative non-action, as Peter posted, would seem to be the way to go ....

I think creative continuation of teaching in China would be the thing to do for the rest of this year.

Degrees? Who needs them? Einstein didn't.

em ching

visitor
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I don't know where to start! Thank you so much all who responded - took me a while to take everything in! I've also been kind of stupefied by everything lately - but feeling ambitious too. Although since posting my questions I've had two setbacks. Yesterday my regular freelance work came to a sudden end (due to the company saving costs etc.), and I applied for work experience at a literary agents (they advertise ongoing positions on their site) and was told, also rather abruptly (I felt at the time), that they had nothing for me at present eventhough I said I was available any time (not sure if it was to do with my application or just timing which I'll ask). I thought I'd be a good candidate and was pretty confident I'd get something, because I have experience and enthusiasm so this reflects what My Key said :

2.1,2 > 19 - Line 1 is the one to watch out for here. This option might look good to begin with but you may be having to change course. This won't be what you think it will be lot's of hard work to get to the end result here. Receptive to A New Way.

Anyway, no income = kick up the arse I guess which is probably a good thing... although I know it's a time of not jumping into anything. Partly because I can't anyway - given my head-space - and as Peter says, the conditions aren't right and so I'm being encouraged to stay still. So while not jumping into anything (creative non-action/pondering/mulling it all over) my plan is to keep an eye out for teaching jobs - because they may be my easiest option in terms of getting a proper look in and of course, earning. Willowfox - I'm not currently still in China, so it wouldn't be a continuation. I would be starting again and it'd be for a year. As term's already started in China, it'd be in South Korea which has openings all year round. So I'm told. I'll also look up other work experience options.

My issue with teaching though is that I don't think I was that good - well I had my good moments but overall... and we had teaching assistants to help keep order (v.strict so I didn't have to worry too much about discipline), whereas in SK I'm told there's more pressure (you're judged by how many students stay in your after-school class and if they drop out, pay is docked or you're fired.) I also feel like I'd be found out after half a year! Don't get me wrong, it was rewarding and I had some fun with it, but not enough I don't think. Plus I am, fundamentally quite shy although I felt ok clowning around a bit, but that's not what it's all about... comes down to instincts with teaching I think, and self-assurance. Perhaps hex 7 is reminding me also that it's about being a good leader and the importance of discipline (my parents were not strong disciplinarians which is maybe why I don't have the instinct for it). I wasn't truthfully very good at keeping my army/class in order (except with help), although it never got completely out of hand (they were basically very good kids and not quite at the age of misbehaving) but sometimes it did which was especially frustrating for the good kids :eek:.

What Ginne and Lise said makes sense considering my fears and what I get/don't get from teaching:

In my experience, there has always been some false assumption hiding behind the 2's. With 2.2, Going straight ahead, it's okay. But not what you thought it was going to be. Maybe an illusion will be burst. The 7 means 'grieving.' Is that what you really want? ... With the hex 2's at first you go in the wrong direction, but later you find guidance along the right path. Do not take the initiative. Well, how could you apply, if you didn't take the initiative?

2.2 > 7
Hexagram 7 for a teaching position - very apposite! Shi is not only the army but also the leader, the one who has to keep them all in order. Another meaning: master, teacher, tutor. I think it points to a solid position but without anything creative. No special skills need to be acquired, your own character does the job (2.2)

But then, I still think I could pull it off again and possibly be better having learnt a lot in China. But then I'm not sure I'd be benefitting myself or the kids. But then maybe I'm taking it too seriously (the hours are only part-time usually).

With regards to writing - always has been on the back burner starting to burn through to the front now. I'll continue going to classes - and try to take it more seriously in my free time (have plenty now so no excuse) and give it more of a real chance. As hex 35 says - it's a challenge, I'll have set-backs, but I must stay confident in myself. It seems like something I could get better at but it needs work and moving forward regardless- i.e. I need to stop telling myself I 'can't' write stories, and just do it - although it shouldn't be forced should it... And thanks ginne for your realistic advice about the publishing world :)

So for now I guess I'm still where I was when I posted first, but more comfortable with this sense of non-action... It just can't last too long! I like the idea of the Masters allowing me a 'zenith of expression' so it is a goal really... to feel that a) I can justify doing one and b)afford it. I know a couple of people who have done one who I've asked for advice.I'm sure a Masters would be rewarding and beneficial to future jobs though, even if it didn't fully pay off. I just need to keep at it until maybe a masters becomes the logical next step, but for now it isn't. But yes it's very hard to keep still.

Peter:

The line is indicating that by remaining where you are (straight,square), without change in direction or purpose you will be proceeding correctly on your path. Even though it might seem that you are not being dynamic or productive, you are, in fact, heading exactly towards where you should be going. Hence "Nothing remains unfurthered." There is hardly another line in the I Ching that encapsulates creative non-action in the way that this line does.
The Zhi Gua, Hex 7, The Army, indicates the self-discipline and resolve required to follow this path in the face of numerous distracting influences and ideas.

I like what you say here:

Top Yang: "Making progress with the horns..." - This could possibly indicate your rebellion against adopting a passive approach, against the time taken for this option to open up and develop.
The Zhi Gua Hex 55, represents two aspects: Firstly there is the danger of obfuscation and eclipse created by too many options for action. These ideas appear rational and sensible, but they eclipse the real direction, hence warnings of broken arms etc. Secondly, the hexagram indicates the eventual emergence of the correct direction as 'lines' come near and become clearer.

Yes it does feel that the conditions are not yet developed to allow me to move - gate's not open yet (but I trust that it will).

soo thanks for your imput - that'd be nice to teach creative writing. I've attended a lot of writing classes which I've always enjoyed and been vocal in, but I think maybe studying writing and teaching writing at the same time might be a bit of over-kill. However, if a TEFL position abroad focusing on teaching writing comes up (most are oral), then I'd probably jump on it! (I guess that's not very hex 2.2 of me though eh, but of course that situation has to change sometime - as is the nature of things :) I guess the changes aren't fixed like clockwork - they occur when they occur? A sudden flash that dies (30.4) for example, as moving through a brief stage, compared with maybe hex 20.6 - sitting back and viewing your life... that could be ongoing! Hmm..

Thanks all so much!
Just see how things go for now (and pull my purse strings)

Last edited:

em ching

visitor
Reaction score
A PS./ aha! moment

I had a feeling something was up with my freelance work (they had started sending work to copy-editors in India but still used some freelancers (me being one) but I had a feeling this might happen). I asked the day before I was let go, what is the status of my job?

23.4,5 > 12

**** I said to myself. I guess I knew then :) :eek:

S

sooo

A PS./ aha! moment

I had a feeling something was up with my freelance work (they had started sending work to copy-editors in India but still used some freelancers (me being one) but I had a feeling this might happen). I asked the day before I was let go, what is the status of my job?

23.4,5 > 12

**** I said to myself. I guess I knew then :) :eek:

That's an interesting and telling development, isn't it? Yes, you saw/felt it coming. Maybe you should become a fortune teller. heh heh, just kidding.

Wish you success with the freelancing and beyond.

Btw, I think all good teachers are students of what they teach. Wilhelm's 29 says 'through repetition the student makes the work his own', but the same can be said for a teacher of a living subject.

em ching

visitor
Reaction score
In the 35>55 both lines 1 and 6 move which can indicate, to me at least, that this is an episode, one works through the whole episode in one go and I feel here it may be a bit of a dead end. 55 can mean you have gone as far as you can go within this particular phase of progress with the writing. I also have the feeling you may want to get out as soon as you get there...mainly because both lines 1 and 6 indicate something worked through pretty quick...it actually might not be challenging enough for you?

Hi Trojan,

So wherever 1 and 6 change you'd call it a brief episode or a phase? (I thought it was only if those two change, but it makes sense), perhaps the central line changing is about the support that is available, but regardless, it's not an easy thing to go into and as you say, may not ultimately be so worth it. Maybe this is the time when I'm considering it most seriously, thinking it through to conclusion, for now anyway, until real life gets in the way of dreaming :)

A friend who's done a masters said not to go into it with anything in mind, other than the love of writing, which makes sense. I'll just then, have to see how I go, see if my writing waxes or wanes.

Thanks!

S

sooo

A friend who's done a masters said not to go into it with anything in mind, other than the love of writing, which makes sense. I'll just then, have to see how I go, see if my writing waxes or wanes.

You'll never know for your entire life unless you try. I wholeheartedly agree with your friend. Do what comes naturally and follow your bliss.

Even if you don't reach the golden ring in your dream, you learn a skill which has many commercial uses in a wide diversity of fields. If future practicality demands you 'bring expectations down a notch', and write something more commercial than you've aspired to, you can still save your bacon by earning a living.

I went from writing songs to writing jingles and producing commercials, selling time and space, and media management. It kept my family secure and fed. All this from being able to sing an original song in front of a few or few thousand people.

Don't let anyone blow out your flame. "Times change, and with them their demands." But always, it's your fire to shine.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Trojan,

So wherever 1 and 6 change you'd call it a brief episode or a phase? (I thought it was only if those two change, but it makes sense), perhaps the central line changing is about the support that is available, but regardless, it's not an easy thing to go into and as you say, may not ultimately be so worth it. Maybe this is the time when I'm considering it most seriously, thinking it through to conclusion, for now anyway, until real life gets in the way of dreaming :)

Thanks!

Well not exactly...I find there doesn't seem to be a word to describe what I mean.... so 'episode' comes nearest...anyway its not a rule just a personal observation. A whole cycle completed in one. I've experienced hexes with line 1 and 6 as 'stories unto themselves'...situations where i live through the beginning, middle and end in one 'story'. I don't think that makes sense but its the best I can do. Often we can start a narrative in our life and it may twist and turn and evolve and we lose track of the events , what started and ended when and where but with lines one and six often one can look back and see the whole circle/cycle in one loop...hence i was seeing the MA as something that did full circle rather than going anywhere else. However why should it have to go anywhere else if you want to do it it could be a wonderful fulfilling creative episode to be in for all I know so if you want to do it I certainly wouldn't see 35>55 as saying 'don't do it'. Besides my lines 1 and 6 theory is just a theory, what i gave you was just my take

To me also 2.2 is a line showing you effortlessly aligned with you tao, your path, so i thought the 2.2 option sounded better....though others seems to see it less rosily than I.....but in the end its all down to what you want . None of your answers said to me 'don't so this'

Last edited:

em ching

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks soo - Very inspiring :)
And thanks Trojan - yes well I guess it would be an episode - in the sense that a masters is time limited. But I agree - it seems positive, if I decide that's what I want to/can do.

Well, 2.2 is a tricky one still for me - so I guess maybe if a teaching job - one suited to me - comes into my path then I could effortlessly go with it and it wouldn't be too challenging (although my instinct does say teaching's not for me I'm sure I could get by with it and improve) - so maybe it wouold 'fit' at this time. Or maybe it's saying it would bend me out of shape lol! That to be a teacher I'd need to assume that role by changing - but that can be done as easily as a straight line into a square - but it would be contortion (which reflects how I feel, that teaching doesn't come naturally to my nature). But is still possible! (as I proved by doing it in China I guess - though I have no idea how well really as it was a short time).

We'll see how things go!

em ching

visitor
Reaction score
2.2 'Therefore the Receptive has no need of a special purpose of its own, nor of any effort' yet everything turns out as it should.' - Wilhelm

I guess I am waiting for a sure sign to act like a golden arrow through my options. My reluctance to go back to teaching I guess says something. So I'm getting constructive - plan to go over past-writing - actually face it - to see if I feel I have anything, or if I enjoy reading it, and then maybe start a blog. (Often I'll write something compelled by feeling and the next day look at it, sober as it were, and it ain't as good as I felt at the time...) So today I'm going to really look at it.

I'm not super big on horoscopes, but this one fit the bill, with regards to writing and dreams, by Jonathan Cainer:

Libra, Monday, 6 September 2010

There are some explanations that we probably don't need to hear... and some veils we do not need to see behind. Mystery equals magic. Ignorance equals a chance to employ the imagination. Uncertainty, often, equals a tantalising sense of hope. Hence your current reluctance to accept the offer of an 'education' in a particular field. What if it leaves you wiser yet poorer, robbed forever of some enjoyable fantasy? But what you are learning now will simply grant you a more practical appreciation of a crucial factor.[/I]

peter2610

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Em Ching,

Have you tried any further general readings along the lines of: How should I proceed in choosing my career? or Should I aim for a career as a writer? or How should I proceed regarding taking a course in creative writing?

em ching

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the advice - I probably will ask questions along those lines soon! But for now I've come up with a solution for my writing at least. As I'm not writing stories but short ditties that disappear in my notebooks - I've started a creative writing blog to put them in! (Feel free to message me for the address, if you fancy a read.) I've also decided that I want to do the Masters, if I'm accepted, but raise the money by teaching abroad. I think it's now or never. And then, publishing will hopefully be there once I've got writing out (or firmly in) my system.

Thanks all!

em ching

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks pocossin, it's a good site! Will definitely keep it handy if I get a job back in China
:)

tigerintheboat

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Acquiescence and Small Deeds or Progress and Great Deads

I feel I have three choices ahead of me but I have a feeling I'm not the one in the driving seat anyway so maybe I needn't fret so much.

1. Pursue living abroad even if I don't get my ideal position (as a writer/editor in an educational institution) and have to teach English again (which I kind of enjoyed in China but I don't feel I was the best at it - but I had a lot of fun and travelling in general is always so rewarding!)

2.2 > 7

2. Pursue work experience with a literary agency in London and then look for jobs in publishing? (ie. start on my 'career' and stay in Britain). Appeals because of the idea of independency and making money and pursuing my interest.

2.1,2 > 19

3. Finally, I have been attending creative writing classes, on and off, and really enjoy them. I'd like to think myself a writer, (budding that is)....

I asked what if I stayed home and saved money (which has the danger of me going mad at home though and possibly feel deprived of experiences and people etc) for doing a Masters in Creative writing next year in the University of East Anglia (Norwich)

Em, I am sorry to be late to the party...I have had to work lots of hours recently:blush:...that is my excuse.

Presumably your whole life's direction is not yet cast in stone.

Both of the 2.2 readings should be seen as Acquiescence. You are under other's influences (H2), and this does not support Great Deeds. Still, these both are overall favorable destinies.

H35 is more about multiplying your gifts, like the Prince with his many horses and royal audiences. This route has you taking more control of your destiny and turning your talents into something greater than what you started with. In some translations, the Prince bred those horses and turned the natural things he was given into something greater.

Now it is true that you do not get the ruling line of H35, Line 5. In Line 1, you get the initial problems of fitting in at school in the program, and being at home. Difficult times; you will have to stay low and do what you are required to do by the program.

Line 3: By the end of the program, people come to trust you and you no longer regret your submissiveness; you can advance nicely.

Line 6: You can get the things you want forcibly, but this has consequences for further friendly relations. Only do this if you must, because once having done this, you have changed everything and relations can't stay the same.

My overall sense of this is that school will be difficult, as will being at home, but in the long run, creating the additional skills through the MA will be very valuable to you. That is the Abundance (H55) of the relating hexagram.

Tiger

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).