Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom
forty two
visitor
- Joined
- Sep 26, 2012
- Messages
- 124
- Reaction score
- 4
Hi all,
since a while I am looking for english books about Wen Wang Gua 文王卦 also known as Liu Yao Yi Gua 六爻易卦, Na Jia and as Six Line method or method of Six Lines in english.
It is very hard to find something at all about it, because there is simply almost nothing written about it in english. Finaly I had some luck because, Harmen Mesker http://i-tjingcentrum.nl/wp/ gave me this great hint:
The Secret of Wen Wang Gua by Jack Chiu:
http://www.acmc.com.hk/Book011.aspx
I have read this book and I can highly recommend it. I looked for a review here at the forum, but couldn`t find one and so I hope this information is actually new for you.
I write down here the table of contents for you, so that you know what you can expect from this book, because that is a lot:
Part 1: Wen-Wang Gua
The Basics of Yi
Fu-xi Ba-gua
Acquired Ba-gua
Metaphors of Ba-gua
Zhou Yi
The Rectangular and Circular Diagram of the 64 Hexagrams
What is Wen-Wang Gua?
Revealing Yi – Jing
Part 2: Casting
Notations of Changes
Casting Method
Evolution in Casting
Qian-Long Tong-Bao
Part 3: Setting
Stems and Branches Recording System
Wu-xing Properties of the 64 Hexagrams
Adoption of Heavenly Stems and Earthly Branches
The Six Relatives
Visible and Invisible Theory
The Active Line and the Changed Line
Six Celestial Figures
Part 4 Deciphering:
Effects of the Day of Casting
Effects of the Active Lines
The Twelve Cyclic Stages of Wu–xing
Other Considerations
Part 5: Wen-Wang Gua in Real Life
Example 1: Weather Forecast
Example 2: Medical School Application
Example 3: Accident Claims
Example 4: Divorce and Child Custody
Example 5: Health and Disease
Example 6: La Liga 20007/2008 – Real Madrid Vs. Real Zaragoza
Example 7: China Outlook in 2009
Example 8: Stock Market Forecast
The book was published in March 2010 and it is exactly the book I was waited for
The Author did a very good job here because he wasn`t too lazy to write it all in pinyin, in chinese and in english. So this is probably the book all Wen-Wang Gua interested people have been waited for.
Jack Chiu explains all parts of Wen Wang Gua:
- 12 Earthly Branches (shi-er di-zhi 十二地支)
- 10 Heavenly Stems (shi tian-gan 十天干)
- 5 Elements (wu-xing 五行)
- 6 Characters (Jack Chiu calls them 6 Relatives or liu qin 六親. Six because if yourself is included they are 6. Special hint: For all of you who are trying to learn Wen-Wang Gua according to Alex Chiu`s teaching method: http://superiching.com/index.html Alex Chiu is calling them the 5 Stars. I guess just for making the confusion complete after the use of his abbreviations for the 12 earthly branches already drove you completely mad ;-))
- 6 Celestial figures (also known as 6 heavenly creatures or six animals or liu shou 六獸)
- The 8 Chambers (also known as 8 Palaces, 8 Houses or Eight Chambers Theory or ba-gong gua shuo 八宮卦說)
- The Trigrams
- The Hexagrams
Of course he also explains how to adapt it all to the lines and the hexagrams and he explains all the relationships and effects of all forces among each other and so it is actually a book which teaches Wen Wang Gua entirely, because everybody can learn it by reading this book. It is complete. Nothing is missing and the only thing one have to do is to learn, to understand and to practise.
Also the rules are explained in a way everybody is able to understand easily!!!
Apart from that he also gives us a lot of informations about the Yijing 周易 in general, he explains all very detailed and even the ones of you who are dealing with the Yijing since a longer time will probably get some new and/or additional informations from this book.
He also reports about historical persons who were connected with the Yijing and Wen-Wang Gua and you get a lot of detailed historical information concerning the Yijing in addition.
One thing which made me insanely happy was the use of pinyin, chinese and english. He gives us the possibility to do own internet researches by writing most accurately all important terms in pinyin, chinese and english same time.
For making it perfect he gives us a lot of graphics, tables and drawings for to help us understanding all as easy as possible and for having great overviews when it comes to the part of six line analysis.
The only thing which could be more are the examples of the practical use of WWG, because more of them would bring a lot more insights for beginners.
But maybe this is a great idea for a second book about Wen-Wang Gua
If Mr. Jack Chiu will maybe read this here: Many, many, many thanks for writing this book and if I may have a wish, I wish a second book with a lot of practical examples as the next one
Many thanks to Jack Chiu for writing this amazing and very helpful book and special thanks to Harmen Mesker for giving me a lot of helpful informations about Wen-Wang Gua and for helping Mr. Chiu with his book (I have read Harmen helped Jack Chiu with his feedback to the draft of the book). Jack Chiu also mentioned his apprentice Anna Young as his helping hand at the writing process and so I also wish to thank Anna Young as I thank simply everybody who helped to make this book become reality.
Just for to say something critical in the end (because this is a book review;-)): It is to see that Jack Chiu had to hurry up finishing his work because he hadn`t much time for it and so there are a couple of typing errors but I really, really don`t mind, lol. I`m so glad about the existence of this book that I even would pardon him if he would had forget to number the pages.
Enjoy
since a while I am looking for english books about Wen Wang Gua 文王卦 also known as Liu Yao Yi Gua 六爻易卦, Na Jia and as Six Line method or method of Six Lines in english.
It is very hard to find something at all about it, because there is simply almost nothing written about it in english. Finaly I had some luck because, Harmen Mesker http://i-tjingcentrum.nl/wp/ gave me this great hint:
The Secret of Wen Wang Gua by Jack Chiu:
http://www.acmc.com.hk/Book011.aspx
I have read this book and I can highly recommend it. I looked for a review here at the forum, but couldn`t find one and so I hope this information is actually new for you.
I write down here the table of contents for you, so that you know what you can expect from this book, because that is a lot:
Part 1: Wen-Wang Gua
The Basics of Yi
Fu-xi Ba-gua
Acquired Ba-gua
Metaphors of Ba-gua
Zhou Yi
The Rectangular and Circular Diagram of the 64 Hexagrams
What is Wen-Wang Gua?
Revealing Yi – Jing
Part 2: Casting
Notations of Changes
Casting Method
Evolution in Casting
Qian-Long Tong-Bao
Part 3: Setting
Stems and Branches Recording System
Wu-xing Properties of the 64 Hexagrams
Adoption of Heavenly Stems and Earthly Branches
The Six Relatives
Visible and Invisible Theory
The Active Line and the Changed Line
Six Celestial Figures
Part 4 Deciphering:
Effects of the Day of Casting
Effects of the Active Lines
The Twelve Cyclic Stages of Wu–xing
Other Considerations
Part 5: Wen-Wang Gua in Real Life
Example 1: Weather Forecast
Example 2: Medical School Application
Example 3: Accident Claims
Example 4: Divorce and Child Custody
Example 5: Health and Disease
Example 6: La Liga 20007/2008 – Real Madrid Vs. Real Zaragoza
Example 7: China Outlook in 2009
Example 8: Stock Market Forecast
The book was published in March 2010 and it is exactly the book I was waited for
The Author did a very good job here because he wasn`t too lazy to write it all in pinyin, in chinese and in english. So this is probably the book all Wen-Wang Gua interested people have been waited for.
Jack Chiu explains all parts of Wen Wang Gua:
- 12 Earthly Branches (shi-er di-zhi 十二地支)
- 10 Heavenly Stems (shi tian-gan 十天干)
- 5 Elements (wu-xing 五行)
- 6 Characters (Jack Chiu calls them 6 Relatives or liu qin 六親. Six because if yourself is included they are 6. Special hint: For all of you who are trying to learn Wen-Wang Gua according to Alex Chiu`s teaching method: http://superiching.com/index.html Alex Chiu is calling them the 5 Stars. I guess just for making the confusion complete after the use of his abbreviations for the 12 earthly branches already drove you completely mad ;-))
- 6 Celestial figures (also known as 6 heavenly creatures or six animals or liu shou 六獸)
- The 8 Chambers (also known as 8 Palaces, 8 Houses or Eight Chambers Theory or ba-gong gua shuo 八宮卦說)
- The Trigrams
- The Hexagrams
Of course he also explains how to adapt it all to the lines and the hexagrams and he explains all the relationships and effects of all forces among each other and so it is actually a book which teaches Wen Wang Gua entirely, because everybody can learn it by reading this book. It is complete. Nothing is missing and the only thing one have to do is to learn, to understand and to practise.
Also the rules are explained in a way everybody is able to understand easily!!!
Apart from that he also gives us a lot of informations about the Yijing 周易 in general, he explains all very detailed and even the ones of you who are dealing with the Yijing since a longer time will probably get some new and/or additional informations from this book.
He also reports about historical persons who were connected with the Yijing and Wen-Wang Gua and you get a lot of detailed historical information concerning the Yijing in addition.
One thing which made me insanely happy was the use of pinyin, chinese and english. He gives us the possibility to do own internet researches by writing most accurately all important terms in pinyin, chinese and english same time.
For making it perfect he gives us a lot of graphics, tables and drawings for to help us understanding all as easy as possible and for having great overviews when it comes to the part of six line analysis.
The only thing which could be more are the examples of the practical use of WWG, because more of them would bring a lot more insights for beginners.
But maybe this is a great idea for a second book about Wen-Wang Gua
If Mr. Jack Chiu will maybe read this here: Many, many, many thanks for writing this book and if I may have a wish, I wish a second book with a lot of practical examples as the next one
Many thanks to Jack Chiu for writing this amazing and very helpful book and special thanks to Harmen Mesker for giving me a lot of helpful informations about Wen-Wang Gua and for helping Mr. Chiu with his book (I have read Harmen helped Jack Chiu with his feedback to the draft of the book). Jack Chiu also mentioned his apprentice Anna Young as his helping hand at the writing process and so I also wish to thank Anna Young as I thank simply everybody who helped to make this book become reality.
Just for to say something critical in the end (because this is a book review;-)): It is to see that Jack Chiu had to hurry up finishing his work because he hadn`t much time for it and so there are a couple of typing errors but I really, really don`t mind, lol. I`m so glad about the existence of this book that I even would pardon him if he would had forget to number the pages.
Enjoy
Last edited:
Really, that`s true. I can read his examples and have the original terms in mind as I would lay a transparent layer over his terms. It works, but I still find it sucks. 