Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom
- Joined
- May 19, 1972
- Messages
- 3,448
- Reaction score
- 373
Because of a nudge from Calumet, I found myself reading a Karen Horney book this week that stirred things up for me a little. I found this bit in the introduction: "An integral part of the democratic ideals for which we are fighting today is the belief that the individual - and as many individuals as possible - should develop to the full of his potentialities."
Okay, here's the bit I want to explore with you: "...and as many individuals as possible..."
Really? I mean should *everybody* start to meditate and cultivate enlightenment? Is it possible to have more than one Jesus around at one time? Can we have two Jesuses? Two hundred? Two thousand? I don't think so. Here's what I think.
I think any given age has room for about one Jesus at a time. Sometimes that Jesus makes a big splash and is remembered, as in the case of our Jesus, and sometimes the Jesus maintains a lower profile, doesn't get raised on a cross, doesn't hit the headlines, but has a 'Jesus effect' on his generation nevertheless.
Furthermore, I think there's a spiritual hierarchy, with only so many places at or near the top, and an increasing number further down the heap. In other words, the democratic ideal that Horney talks about ('as many individuals as possible') means that in practice, not many people can really get too high in the hierarchy. Sure, you can get higher in the hierarchy by doing a lot of work on yourself, but please understand that you can move up only when a place becomes available, even if you're qualified to be at a higher level.
Of course, it's just an idea, but I think it's got as much validity as any other idea in its class. I asked the Yi about posting this idea here and drew 28.1.6. 'Without fault' is the general tenor of the response, although it would seem I do this at some cost to myself.
I mean, this topic's *at least* as legitimate as 'what do I need to know about my boyfriend', right?
Think this is gonna help me up the mountain?
Okay, here's the bit I want to explore with you: "...and as many individuals as possible..."
Really? I mean should *everybody* start to meditate and cultivate enlightenment? Is it possible to have more than one Jesus around at one time? Can we have two Jesuses? Two hundred? Two thousand? I don't think so. Here's what I think.
I think any given age has room for about one Jesus at a time. Sometimes that Jesus makes a big splash and is remembered, as in the case of our Jesus, and sometimes the Jesus maintains a lower profile, doesn't get raised on a cross, doesn't hit the headlines, but has a 'Jesus effect' on his generation nevertheless.
Furthermore, I think there's a spiritual hierarchy, with only so many places at or near the top, and an increasing number further down the heap. In other words, the democratic ideal that Horney talks about ('as many individuals as possible') means that in practice, not many people can really get too high in the hierarchy. Sure, you can get higher in the hierarchy by doing a lot of work on yourself, but please understand that you can move up only when a place becomes available, even if you're qualified to be at a higher level.
Of course, it's just an idea, but I think it's got as much validity as any other idea in its class. I asked the Yi about posting this idea here and drew 28.1.6. 'Without fault' is the general tenor of the response, although it would seem I do this at some cost to myself.
I mean, this topic's *at least* as legitimate as 'what do I need to know about my boyfriend', right?
Think this is gonna help me up the mountain?