...life can be translucent

Menu

Hex27, chline6 -> 24. Help interpreting...

elizabeth

visitor
Reaction score
hello,

I wanted to ask for some help interpreting a Yi reading. i asked it how I can find my soulmate. The results was 27 (Providing Nourishment) with changing line 6. The second hex was 24 (no changes).

Here are the descriptions:

27The Corners of the Mouth (Providing Nourishment)
above K'un The Receptive, Earth
below Chên The Arousing, Thunder

The Judgement
Return. Success.
Going out and coming in without error.
Friends come without blame.
To and Fro goes the way.
On the seventh day comes return.
It furthers one to have somewhere to go.

The Image
Thunder within the earth:
The image of The Turning Point.
Thus the kings of antiquity closed the passes
At the time of solstice.
Merchants and strangers did not go about,
And the ruler
Did not travel through the provinces.

line 6= Change at the top means:
The source of nourishment.
Awareness of danger brings good fortune.
It furthers one to cross the great water.

24. Fu / Return (The Turning Point)

The Judgement
Return. Success.
To and Fro goes the way.

The Image
At the time of solstice.
And the ruler

++

I have been living abroad for 2 years but feel that this is now my home. Both hexes speak of "return", oddly enough. But, return to what? Hex 27 sounds like "going home" (on the 7th day, aka at the end of one's journey?) , perhaps meaning returning to the country of my birth (which I'm not ready or wanting to do at this point). Can anyone shed some light on what this means?

I also interpret the first hexagram to mean (as always) that one has to nourish oneself before one can nourish someone else (and maybe therefore Yi is saying "you're not ready yet", even if I feel ready??)

Finally line 6 = the source of nourishment. What does that mean? That a soulmate would be the source of nourishment, and if i'm aware of obstacles (danger) i will gain fortune (the soulmate)?

many thanks in advance for any replies,
Elizabeth.

ewald

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Elizabeth,
You accidently copied the Judgment and Image of hexagram 24 (from the Wilhelm/Baynes translation) and took it for those of hexagram 27.

The Judment of hex 27 is:
The Corners of the Mouth.
Perseverance brings good fortune.
Pay heed to the providing of nourishment
And to what a man seeks
To fill his own mouth with.

The Image of 27:
At the foot of the mountain, thunder:
The image of Providing Nourishment.
Thus the superior man is careful of his words
And temperate in eating and drinking.

ewald

visitor
Reaction score
In readings that have a single changing line, I usually consider that line only and don't look at the Judgments of the hexagrams. I actually translate 27 line 6 differently then the translation you've been using:
The cause of the hunger is danger.
Good fortune.
It is beneficial to cross the big river.
I take this to mean that the reason for your desire for a soulmate is that you don't feel secure. Perhaps living abroad has something to do with it. This line is not very specific about how you could find someone, it merely says that it's a good idea to undertake something, which may be going to another place (crossing the big river).

elizabeth

visitor
Reaction score
ewald,

Interesting, thanks. I suppose I was hoping for a grand revelation such as "the time is now" or something telling me I'm on the right path and he (soulmate) is coming. Funny, because I feel more secure now than i did living not-abroad, and the thought of moving back only makes me insecure! :p

I'll think about if there are other kinds of undertaking that might ignite the necessary change...

many thanks for your post.
e.

elizabeth

visitor
Reaction score
Another comment/idea -- the "pay heed to what a man fills his mouth with" always reminds me of cheap talkers -- ie all talk and no substance; or possibly, in this case, womanizers (if you will) -- those kinds of people.

Applied externally, it's a warning -- beware of insincerity disguised otherwise.
Applied internally it could mean -- what you nurture yourself with internally (physically, spiritually, intellectually) reflects who you are (and applies to others as well). But I cant see how that applies to the soulmate question aside from the warning.

Finally, ewald, your interpretation/translation states "the cause of hunger is danger" meaning if I seek (a soulmate), the reason I do so is dangerous, because desire (in general, of any object) is dangerous, and therefore i'm better off without. Is this perhaps the Yi's answer?

ewald

visitor
Reaction score
I don't think it's the reason that is dangerous, but that there is some kind of danger that is the reason for the hunger or desire. There is "Good fortune," so it's definitely not so that you're better of without.

Actually the "pay heed" in the original Chinese is the same character as the name of hexagram 20 (Contemplation, or Examining). So it's not so much that you need to "watch out for," as that it's a good idea to "examine." This is about examining your desire, so that you better understand what it is about, and are better able to fulfil it.

(The word "man" isn't actually there in the Chinese.)

ewald

visitor
Reaction score
Perhaps some questions that you might ask yourself to examine your desire:
- What does a soulmate mean to me?
- Why do I want a soulmate?
- How would a soulmate help me?
- Has there ever been anyone who came close to being a soulmate?
- Why haven't I found a soulmate yet?

ewald

visitor
Reaction score
I've been taking another look at the original Chinese text of 27.6. Unfortunately, it's possible to translate it in a couple of different ways. That's because the old Chinese doesn't have commas and periods, and some characters can have several meanings.
If Wilhelm's translation works for you, then why not:
The source of nourishment.
Awareness of danger brings good fortune.
It furthers one to cross the great water.
It does however not make complete sense to me. My translation as above however, doesn't seem to entirely work for you either.
I found a different way of translating this line, that actually can be taken as an answer to your question:
By means of hunger, danger brings good fortune.
It is beneficial to cross the big river.
It would mean that the force of your desire would allow you to take risks and get away with it.

Last edited:
B

bruce_g

What I find interesting is Elizabeth’s term “soul mate”, with connection to line 6. This to me says: If you truly seek a mate for your soul, you must nourish your soul. Your mate lives at the same place you do, on the same soul plain. You attract to yourself that which you are (source of nourishment). Be aware of this danger: If your soul is starving, you will attract another starving soul, and then you consume one another. But if your soul is nourished, you are able to nourish your mate, and your mate, you.

martin

(deceased)
Reaction score
Hi Elizabeth,

Apart from what the IC says, I think there is no how - no method - to finding soulmates. It's often like we have made appointments with them before we are born here. Perhaps not exactly in the sense of "then and there we will meet" but still something like that. The meetings seem prearranged somehow.

Perhaps the answer of the IC also refers to this prearrangement. Line 6 is the 'spirit' line, the 'place' where we plan our lives together with others before we are born and direct it while we are here. On this level the important decisions are made, it's where we write and rewrite our life scripts.
In 27.6 what is written and rewritten looks more like a menu. :)
Soulmates are food for eachother, soul food. We grow in our souls by absorbing others, their way of being. They become part of us. "Eat my flesh, drink my blood".

How to find the soulmate(s)?
It has been taken care of, be available ..

mudpie

visitor
Reaction score
Stuart Wilde, that crazy rascal, says interesting things about finding soulmates too. He says that you have create an energy/vibration or your soulmate may not recognize you. YOu create the energy by the food you eat, the thoughts you think, your activities........actually all the ways in which you nourish yourself - physically,mentally and emotionally - create the energy field of YOU.
So it fits right in with 26.6, you being the source of nourishment.

I think it helps to become a vibrational match with "loved and loving". Love and adore yourself, treat yourself well, allow yourself to feel/think/act like a lover/beloved who is fulfilled.

Along the same lines, I see in 26.6 the image of an earth mother with milk flowing from her breasts, the source of love and nourishment. Let your love and kindness flow out into your environment and he will catch your scent....

Bradford's idea of the missionary becoming the food is not so bad when related to the mission of soulmate seeking ; )

cassius_clay

visitor
Reaction score
The I Ching might be saying to pay attention to the things you feed your spirit,mind, body etc. , to listen to an expert or sage (the i ching itself?) about the subject you asked about and follow their councel. Also to a new persective on life or the subject you inquired about will open up doors for you to find what you are looking for. Peace.

27 I - The Corners of The Mouth (Providing Nourishment)
27.0 - The Judgement

In many situations in life, it is necessary to find out what people are like in an objective manner, before a commitment is made to involve ourselves with them. The counsel given in this hexagram teaches how to accomplish this. Once you learn this lesson, you will also see how others learn about you through your actions. It will explain a great deal about why many things in your life are just not happening.

Some of the ways in which people reveal which part of the spirit they function out of, is through the company they keep, through which part of their body or themselves they cultivate, through their choices of food, through the subjects they prefer to converse about, through their pursuits, and so on.

Recommended Reports
1. Balancing the Life-force
2. Divine Law Meditation
3. Mindfulness Meditation

27.6 - Line 6
There is at hand a sage (or an expert in your field). It is of utmost benefit to place your self under the guidance of such a sage or expert.

24 Fu - Return (The Turning Point)
24.0 - The Judgement

You receive this hexagram when according to the cyclical movement of your life-force, old and outworn ideas and conditionings are giving way to ideas that will improve your life. You will find that the new awareness and attitude to life will bring you into new relationships. You can trust this. It is important to realize that you are at the turning point. It is akin to the convalescing stage that immediately follows recovery from an illness. In the same manner that a recovering patient will not attempt to live fully, you must resist acting as if you where fully healed. You must meditate on the situation as there is much to learn and strengthen you. You cannot manipulate things to hasten completion. The situation you are in is subject to the cyclical movement of your life-force.

You can also receive this hexagram when you have deviated from the correct path, and are hereby counseled to return to what is right. Success will be secured not only from the power of what is right, but from the force of cyclical movement that is operating in favor of what is right at this time.

Recommended Reports
1. Divine Law Meditation
2. Balancing the Life-force

elizabeth

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks to all who responded here. I will address the posts in order as some time has passed and I want to go through it methodically.

ewald - "This is about examining your desire, so that you better understand what it is about, and are better able to fulfil it." Whereas a year, two, five years ago I might have felt the "I'm not complete without someone in my life" feeling, I cannot say I feel that anymore. I"ve lived alone mostly happily, sometimes not, for many years now, and I'm at a point where I feel my life would just be made richer if I had someone to share it with, someone to decompress and discuss the day's/week's/month's events with over dinner each night. Yes, I have friends, and employment, and outside interests... in fact I've little free time for social. But I do feel that "It would be nice if".. and that is the source of my desire. The other impetus for posing this question is the repeat inquiries from those around me as to why I am still single. Sort of "what is a pretty girl like you doing? why hasn't someone snagged your hand yet?" And I cannot provide an answer. People ask if i"m divorced -- nope. Never been married. And they're baffled when they hear this. Those questions prompted me to ask the Yi, thinking maybe there is more to it. I do believe not everyone has a soul mate and some may have a path void of them throughout their lives. I may be one of those. (wouldnt it be nice if we knew for sure!)

So to your questions -- I've asked myself all of those for the past 10 years. The soulmates who I thought were soulmates at the time were always far far from it. I suppose I seek a "life mate" at this point, rather than a soul mate, just because experinence has proven to me so far that there is no soulmate in the cards for me. Inevitably in relationships I get burned badly and the guy walks away unscathed. So in theory (also based on past experience) I *am* better off "without" -- bc "with" has never been quite worth it in the long run (as much as I hate to say that!)

The force of desire allowing one to take risks -- this has historically been my experience in relationships and I'm not sure I'm willing to go that route again. Burn me once shame on you, burn me twice, etc.

PHilippa: thank you for the link! I had read that months ago, falling haphazardly into the thread, I don't recall why. But it was an excellent refresher and some very very intriguing points lie therein. Dobro's post strikes me -- unconcscious assumptions filter our input. The only personal take I can see on this is that maybe I "assume" I "need" a soulmate. But from reflection, I know that isn't the case, or I wouldnt come back to this question so often in my own life/mind/heart. The poster Pagan in that link outlines the path that the lines of 27 take us through, concluding that line 6 is about looking inward (if I understood correctly) to find the answers, rather than seeking external high/stimuli for the answers.

The idea of the Missionary As Food (bradford_h and sparhawk's posts) is one I can relate to only too well; as mentioned the soulmates I thought were mine were in fact quite like Faust, come to steal my soul in disguise...(have to reread that libretto, I think I might be off slightly).

If seeker's interpretation (same link/thread) is true, then I feel like the Yi isn't addressing my question. This idea of "dont depend on someone" -- well right now, I dont depend on anyone for anything. If anything I am example of a human being in total isolation! So... not sure that applies to me, or if it does, not sure how the interpretation fits.

BruceG - Hello. You commented, "if your soul is starving..." --and that's an interesting point. The one thing (if anything) my move abroad has done is provided food for my soul. I'm pursuing a lifelong dream here, so that aspect, at least, is covered...however it has come at the expense of some degree of social isolation, I suppose you could say, and so it is up to me to construct my social support network here. But that digresses from the point of the thread... I am feeding my soul, as best I can. Maybe it means I'm feeding it the wrong thing (?)

Martin -- hello to another live member of the current thread! Thanks for your post. If you are right, "it has been taken care of", would be a simple admonishment to sit tight and wait, that my time is coming. Do I understand you correctly?

Listener -- Can I play devil's advocate? (don't like that phrase but...) How can you act like a lover who is fulfilled when you are fulfilled by a non-human source? I pursue an art form (and several activites related to it) in my free time; that is my soul food. But human interaction/soul mate bonding/beloved support/boyfriend/relationshiop is not a part of my life. How does one emit the sense of being loved by another? To my mind, that is a very different kind of love than loving oneself. You can love yourself and be in a shell...there is something more to this but I can't put my finger on it.

Cassius - This is good news! If I'm at a turning point, that was the most I could hope for! (at last!) And I understand that under these conditions my task is to go slowly, not rush forward, evaluate fully (should an opportunity arise).
Also...the sage idea is an interesting one. I have two older (female) confidantes who fit that role. None of them have much to say about my single-ness or my search for a mate, although one thinks it wont happen until i'm 40 since (according to her) its not in the cards for me (she is into astrology).
If however, I received this hex because I've deviated from the correct path, then I'm not sure where my deviation lies.

I'll end this post here. Again thanks to each of you and I eagerly await responses :)

-e.

B

bruce_g

elizabeth said:
BruceG - Hello. You commented, "if your soul is starving..." --and that's an interesting point. The one thing (if anything) my move abroad has done is provided food for my soul. I'm pursuing a lifelong dream here, so that aspect, at least, is covered...however it has come at the expense of some degree of social isolation, I suppose you could say, and so it is up to me to construct my social support network here. But that digresses from the point of the thread... I am feeding my soul, as best I can. Maybe it means I'm feeding it the wrong thing (?)
-e.

That's possible, but I wouldn't assume that's the case simply because you haven't yet met your soul mate.

Individual souls are cooked in the cauldron, and only when each has reached the right time in their development are they ready to synchronize lives with their soul mate, assuming they have one. But one must ask the question: what if my soul has no mate during this lifetime? I think some of us need to be prepared for that possibility, and still live a good life. At the same time, it's good to be alert, because you can never know when you'll meet your destined mate. But all we as individuals can do is feed our souls, either way.

lindsay

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Elizabeth -

When you ask the Yi very serious personal questions, sometimes it is helpful to understand the parameters of what is at stake. One technique the ancient diviners used was to ask questions in pairs: "What if X?" and "What if not-X?"

In your case, two good questions might be: "What will be the result if I find my soulmate?" and "What will be the result if I do not find my soulmate?" You might want to add a time limit - for example, "in the next six months."

Most of us assume that finding a soulmate is an unqualified good thing. This may not necessarily be the case. It is good to be rich, but many lives have been ruined by wealth.

By asking questions in pairs, you will have a better idea what having or not having a soulmate will mean for you. That could be very interesting. You will also be ready for any outcome, and that could be helpful.

Lindsay

elizabeth

visitor
Reaction score
bruce_g, thanks. Well I've resigned myself to that possibility as well, and if it is the case then it will be just more of the "same old" from here on out. I went through 2 yrs of adjusting to that unpleasant idea but i've come to terms with it at this point, and can survive.

Lindsay - thank you for the suggestion of the followup questions. I am going to try those and see what Yi says. :)

-e.

martin

(deceased)
Reaction score
elizabeth said:
If you are right, "it has been taken care of", would be a simple admonishment to sit tight and wait, that my time is coming. Do I understand you correctly?

Well, I didn't mean to say that you can retreat in a cave in the Himalayas and patiently wait till your soulmate is delivered by airmail, with a big post stamp on his forehead.
But I guess you understood that. :D
Going out more, meeting new people, things like that can help and are probably also necessary. If you are hidden, if you don't give him a chance to meet you - or yourself a chance to meet him - nothing can happen.

That it has been taken care of (and that there is therefore no need to search for him; being available, not hidden, is enough) is only my personal opinion, by the way. It is not based on your reading although I think it can be interpreted in that way.
But others here came up with different interpretations that also make a lot of sense to me.

Good luck! :)

nicky_p

visitor
Reaction score
elizabeth said:
"what is a pretty girl like you doing? why hasn't someone snagged your hand yet?" And I cannot provide an answer. People ask if i"m divorced -- nope. Never been married. And they're baffled when they hear this.

Hi Elizabeth,

Just wondering - why is this a bad thing? That people see you as a catch and deserving of a happy fulfilling relationship? Baffled maybe but not necessarily at you - at those that have let such a catch go?

Love
Nicky
xx

elizabeth

visitor
Reaction score
nicky_p,
well its only bad bc I personally would like a mate (of some sort, soul-mate, life-mate, chess-mate (just kidding)), and it doesnt seem to be in the cards. No one can explain it, but people ask me ALL the time. And the fact they keep asking almost doesnt give me peace, its like a constant reminder. (I dont like answering it bc it makes me feel about the size of a pin). So, i'm prompted to start questioning and doubting myself like "well maybe there IS something wrong with me" well "Maybe i need to be more -- outgoing/cheerleadery or -- thinner or -- fatter or --whatever it is" ie "maybe i'm not enough and that's why". So that's the bad part I guess.

Martin, darnit, and here i was drawing an architectural outline of how my "cave" will look on the inside :). Seriously though, you make a valid point about hiding away not accomplishing anything. I did make effort for a solid 3 years or so -- going out to any bar/club/meeting/party i could; doing online dating, both paid and free, in three different countries and languages, doing speed dating. Results: nada. Not that I didnt meet people. But there's no soulmate to be had in those things and no temporary mates to speak of either. So I guess you could say I am tired of "trying" and maybe I've given up?

mudpie

visitor
Reaction score
Elizabeth, In response to your devil's advocate question, "how does one emit the sense of being loved by another?" I can only relate a kind of mystical experience I had once. In the midst of great emotional pain, my heart, to put it mildly, opened. A very tangible warmth spread all through my body, completely filling me with utter peace and a deep Knowing that all the love I could ever want or need was right there in my own beingness. ....That we human beings are LOVED so completely already. I am not a "christian" or religious person per se, but the words that came to me at that moment were from the Bible: Something like "we love because He first loved us"

I dont even know where those words are in the bible, but I knew what they meant. We don't ever "get" love from some source outside of us, we ARE love, and to share in the knowing of it, the bounty of it, with another is what the experience of human love is about.... albeit in often a smallish limited way ( compared to the bounty that is present) This was a 48.6-ish kind of experience.

I am no expert in finding soul-mate love, that is for sure, but that experience taught me to never indulge the illusion of loneliness for too long....wayne dyer made the remark once that at any given moment there is someone within a few miles of you who is depairing and lost and who needs you to "Be Love" for them, even if you never physically meet them. The world needs Knowers. And artists are some of the best Knowers

I found this explanation/interpretation for 27.6 on a website and I share it here with you, as I am thinking that maybe you are a Knower and a great Love to be shared

"27.6 To have found wholeness is the greatest blessing. It shows wisdom beyond the normal. Such wisdom is a great responsibility, for many need it. Knowing this enables great undertakings to be dealt with successfully. Happiness!"

And finally, when people ask you those rude questions, just smile mysteriously ...thats their issue not yours. Coupledom is not always blissful to say the least! a really good shared Love is worth waiting for.
The Supremes sang: YOu cant hurry love, you just have to wait...trust..no matter how long it takes.

L

lightofreason

elizabeth said:
hello,

I wanted to ask for some help interpreting a Yi reading. i asked it how I can find my soulmate. .....Elizabeth.

From a non-divining perspective - your question focuses on BONDING - to share space with another. Bonding comes in two generic forms represented by the trigrams of mountain and lake.

The mountain option reflects (a) the loss of a love and the use of that love to develop discernment or (b) the establishment of an 'internal' bond in the form of some spiritual relationship to 'god' or developing 'buddahood' etc. Many follow this path when they cannot establish long term relationships to 'outside'.

The lake option reflects (!) the presence of a love and so someone to share space with - it does not have to be physical it can be based on psyche alone but the dynamic is still 'sexual' in that the overall focus is on 'self'-reflection - be it through empathy or mirroring etc or even as a 'pop star' to be idoled etc - IOW a focus on sharing space with another/others with some aspect of 'love' present (the danger being we also cover vanity as well - that mirror element becomes strong when focused inside)

The hexagrams for lake in bottom (self-reflection) are:

19, 41, 60, 61, 54, 38, 58, 10

However of note is the finding focus - this is not about NOW. In this case also reflect on lake in top positions (self-reflection doubled - intensity in expression/focus) :

45, 31, 47, 28, 17, 49, 58, 43

45 suggests finding in a share context of celebrating a belief system - be it religious or spiritual - so get out more! ;-)

31 is more particular in covering cooperative enticement.

47 covers in its positive form wilfully accepting enclosure to force one to integrate with some context.

28 covers doing something for someone etc by going the extra distance.

17 covers finding someone/thing to follow - this gets into 45 where the following covers a group and so a chance of meeting someone of like mind.

49 covers looking behind a surface to reveal 'something' - gets into revelation elicits revolution etc

58 is covered in the lake as base

43 covers 'spreading the word' - seeding, cuttings, etc

All of these can put you into a context to work with others and so increase the chances of finding a 'soulmate'.

XOR them all for 'finer details'.

On futher reflection there is also present the sense of BOUNDING - IOW it is not a bond that is seeked (and so no self-reflection etc) but more so being a part of something and so of being accepted. This gets into the dynamics of the fire trigram and of like mindedness - Bounding comes in two forms - that of protecting and that of exploiting - IOW one holds in or keeps out, the other pushes its boundary outwards and so lets in or 'lets out' (the expanding waistline)

Fire focuses on issues of acceptance.

bottom : 36, 22, 63, 37, 55, 30, 49, 13
top : 35, 56, 64, 50, 21, 30, 38, 14

you can mix the bond/bound with a focus on water/fire with lake/mountain

Water focuses on issues of rejection/rejecting.

bottom : 07, 04, 29, 59, 40, 64, 47, 06
top : 08, 39, 04, 48, 03, 63, 60, 05

Note that 13 covers 'likemindedness' so XOR with the others to get how they express, or contribute to, likemindedness.

Chris.

Last edited:
J

jesed

Hi Elizabeth

I had sent you a private message, in case it could be of any help.

Best wishes

elizabeth

visitor
Reaction score
Hi again,

listener --- you said it correctly, a really good shared Love is worth waiting for!
I may well be a "knower", and I suppose I should be honored in that case. But what a lonely path it is, and not the kind of reward I had imagined. I haven't found a way to stop wishing for the "other half" or soulmate, and loneliness isn't something I feel I can control per se. Sometimes I feel it, sometimes I don't, but either way it seems very much dependent on external factors most of the time. however, I do agree that it is better to be alone than with the wrong person. (And there seem to be so many of those "wrong people" out there!)

++++++

Chris/lightoffreason -- I read with much fascination your description and explanation. I am trying to discern the difference between bonding and bounding and I am not sure I see where the division lies. Do you mean "binding" (as in "the ties that bind") when you write "bounding"? Or do you mean drawing boundaries around oneself? (boundary-ing, if there were such a word...)

Also, given the hexes I drew with my question, how do the rest of those that you listed relate to me? I assumed that only the ones that I received apply to my question/situation, but if not, then which (if any or if all) of the ones that you listed should I look at?

When I asked the Yi in a followup question "what will happen if i do NOT find my soulmate" it gave me Hex32 Duration with ch line 2 (remorse disappears) and 4 (no game in the field) and Hex15Modesty ("Modesty creates success"). Which tells me, if I am reading correctly that I will stop wishing/hoping and be successful alone/on my own if that is the case. No?

Also, you wrote:

"The mountain option reflects (a) the loss of a love and the use of that love to develop discernment or (b) the establishment of an 'internal' bond in the form of some spiritual relationship to 'god' or developing 'buddahood' etc. Many follow this path when they cannot establish long term relationships to 'outside'."

For (a) do you mean the use of lost love to develop discernment? Is this a commentary on something I have undergone already or will undergo IF i meet my soulmate?
I can only say that I seem to have had a (b) all my life, in my deep and close connection to a certain art form that I would say is like a combination of religion+love affair, except there is no individual person involved who is "loving me back".

+++

Jesed, thanks I will read it.

L

lightofreason

elizabeth said:
Hi again,
Chris/lightoffreason -- I read with much fascination your description and explanation. I am trying to discern the difference between bonding and bounding and I am not sure I see where the division lies. Do you mean "binding" (as in "the ties that bind") when you write "bounding"? Or do you mean drawing boundaries around oneself? (boundary-ing, if there were such a word...)

The basic categories are described in the IDM intro:

http://members.iimetro.com.au/~lofting/myweb/introIDM.html

Their grounding in the IC is covered in such pages as:

http://members.iimetro.com.au/~lofting/IChingPlus (NOTE - see this with an Internet Explorer browser - the others have issues with the javascript and are not fixed yet)

A quick summary is that bounding covers 'parts' and so distinct forms within a greater form but interpretable as a 'boundary' - consider it as circle, a fence, a clear distinction of inside/outside, them/us, known/unknown.

In the IC in particular we focus on the dynamics of water and fire. BOTH 'bound' but water acts to protect and so keep something/someone in or out. Emotionally we are dealing with basics of rejecting/rejection.

Fire, on the other hand, acts to form an ideology, group, 'gang', of likeminded with a focus on expanding the boundary. IT covers issues based on the emotion of acceptance etc and so as it expands it converts difference to sameness (as fire converts various fuels to ash).

elizabeth said:
Also, given the hexes I drew with my question, how do the rest of those that you listed relate to me? I assumed that only the ones that I received apply to my question/situation, but if not, then which (if any or if all) of the ones that you listed should I look at?

I made the point of emphasising working from a NON-divinational position. IOW what you are considering can be covered by focusing on the IC beyond just divining and what I posted covered that focus.

elizabeth said:
Also, you wrote:

"The mountain option reflects (a) the loss of a love and the use of that love to develop discernment or (b) the establishment of an 'internal' bond in the form of some spiritual relationship to 'god' or developing 'buddahood' etc. Many follow this path when they cannot establish long term relationships to 'outside'."

For (a) do you mean the use of lost love to develop discernment? Is this a commentary on something I have undergone already or will undergo IF i meet my soulmate?
I can only say that I seem to have had a (b) all my life, in my deep and close connection to a certain art form that I would say is like a combination of religion+love affair, except there is no individual person involved who is "loving me back".

(a) is a property in general of mountain and so covers all aspects of grief/sorrow that get turned into keeping the loved-one 'alive' in one's mind and refering to them re quality control etc. "What would X have done?" etc.
(b) is also a property of mountain. The issue here is on not having to deal with the dark side of a relationship, the nitty gritty of life, by maintaining an affair of the mind where what comes back is still from one's own mind. As such it can reflect having experiences of little betrayals and so a slight 'blocking' occurs in relationships - mountain is the conditional form of devotion to another/others (the unconditional being in earth). In (b) the return can be unconditional when there is no particular person involved.

The path of betrayal from a trigram perspective is:

Betrayal by others:

(pos.....neg)
Earth, Mountain, Water, Wind

Betrayal by self:

(neg....pos)
Thunder, Fire, Lake, Heaven

Thus the water-wind pair reflect security seeking, clear lack of trust in another/others to the point in Wind where the lack is part of existence, considered to always have been there. In an emotional sense Wind relates to Anticipation of wrongdoing (e.g. hex 18) that is then turned around to its cultivating focus and so anticipation of rightdoing (e.g. hex 32)

Bonding covers the sharing of space, be it external or internal. It covers the upside as well as the downside. The main focus is on there being no 'cut' between those involved OR when a cut is made (and so a bond broken) it will always leave behind some residue - be it love or hate or grief or joy. Reviewed sexually there is a dynamic focused on replication, mimicry etc be that physical or mental.

In Contractive Bounding (water) there is a definite distinction of 'us' from 'them'. In the betrayal exercise, the movement from earth to mountain is one of 'little betrayals' and so a lack of trust that can be removed and trust regained. If the betrayals become large or regular then the boundary, the wall, goes up (Water). As we move into Wind so there is no consideration of there being 'betrayal' in that the focus is on supervision as an everyday necessity - IOW attempts of 'betrayal' are a part of everyday existance and so we need to monitor for it etc (there is no 'blame' as such, it is natural and so we need to supervise 'instinctively' - the issue of 'lack of trust' is not an issue in there there no trust possible! We turn this around in anticipation of right-doing and so the cultivation nature of wind where we plant and anticipate development as long as we monitor things, keep tidying-up etc (hex 18). This cultivation as a positive aspect is where we 'trust' the seeds etc will develop, the raw into the refined (50) etc but we MUST have some form of checking going on - in absolute trust of another/others (Earth, 02) there is no checking even considered as necessary - the trust is totally unconditional.

Note Wind covers contractive Binding and related to sharing of TIME (Binding). Wind covers time span, Thunder covers the sudden, the 'NOW' as such (enlightement moments etc)

Chris
-----------------------------
generic categories of meaning:
------------------------------
Objects bias (differentiating):
BLEND - wholeness, whole numbers
BOUND - partness, rational numbers
Relationships bias (integrating):
BOND - share space, irrational numbers
BIND - share time, imaginary numbers

From these come composites as reals, complex, quaternions, octonions. All else follows....
http://members.iimetro.com.au/~lofting/myweb/introIDM.html

elizabeth

visitor
Reaction score
Yi Dialogue on Soulmates

I would like to return to the issue at hand and ask again for help from some of those who have initially responded. Jesed advised the dialogue approach to the Yi and I have tried that. The following were the results to 3 questions, still regarding the soulmate versus single life path.

First I asked the Yi to provide a Global Diagnosis of My Time. It gave me Hex 60 Limitation with changing lines 2 and 5, moving to Hex24 the Turning point. Details follow.

60. Chieh / Limitation with changing lines 2 and 5
above K'an The Abysmal, Water
below Tui The Joyous, Lake

The Judgement
Limitation. Success.
Galling limitation must not be persevered in.

The Image
Water over Lake: the image of Limitation.
Thus the superior man
Creates numbers and measure,
And examines the nature of virtue and correct conduct.

The Lines--Change in the second place means:
Not going out of the gate and the courtyard
Brings misfortune.
Change in the fifth place means:
Sweet limitation brings good fortune.
Going brings esteem.

(This means I should get out more?? And that will bring (self) esteem?)

24. Fu / Return (The Turning Point)

The Judgement
Return. Success.
To and Fro goes the way.

The Image
At the time of solstice.
And the ruler
+++

I then asked for a Diagnosis of my Emotional Time, and received
Hex 50 CAULDRON changing line 2, moving to Hex56 the Wanderer. Details follow.

50. Ting / The Caldron
above Li The Clinging, Flame
below Sun The Gentle, Wind

The Judgement
The Caldron. Supreme good fortune.
Success.

The Image
Fire over wood:
The image of The Caldron.
Thus the superior man consolidates his fate
By making his position correct.

The Lines== Change in the second place means:
There is food in the ting.
My comrades are envious,
But they cannot harm me.
Good fortune.

56. Lu / The Wanderer
above Li The Clinging, Flame
below Kên Keeping Still, Mountain

The Judgement
The Wanderer. Success through smallness.
Perseverance brings good fortune
To the wanderer.

The Image
Fire on the mountain:
The image of The Wanderer.
Thus the superior man
Is clear-minded and cautious
In imposing penalties,
And protracts no lawsuits.

+++
Finally I asked for a Diagnosis of my concrete situation about romantic partnership. The result was:
Hex 20 w/changing line 5, moving to Splitting apart (hex 23)

20. Kuan / Contemplation (View) with changing line 5
above Sun The Gentle, Wind
below K'un The Receptive, Earth

The Judgement
Contemplation. The ablution has been made,
But not yet the offering.
Full of trust they look up to him.

The Image
The wind blows over the earth:
The image of Contemplation.
Thus the kings of old visited the regions of the world,
Contemplated the people,
And gave them instruction.

The Lines
Change in the fifth place means:
Contemplation of my life.
The superior man is without blame.

(does this mean my life path is one of contemplation and not of union with another? Or instruction of others in some way?)

Hex 23
23. Po / Splitting Apart

above Kên Keeping Still, Mountain
below K'un The Receptive, Earth

The Judgement
Splitting Apart. It does not further one
To go anywhere.

The Image
The mountain rests upon the earth:
The image of Splitting Apart.
Thus those above can insure their position
Only by giving generously to those below.
+++

I am guessing based on that final hex that partnership is not in my life plan. Does anyone interpret this otherwise? The line 'It does not further one to go anywhere' strikes me. Meaning do not seek, or do not travel? Or that "going into a relationship" will not further me (ie is not my Fate)?

I will be much obliged for any opinions on what the Yi has told me here.

Many thanks,
Elizabeth

Last edited:

ewald

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Elizabeth,
In readings with just one changing line, I wouldn't worry about the resulting hexagram, but just focus on the line. So in that last reading, only the line matters:
Contemplation of my life.
The superior man is without blame.
Seems you're focussing a lot on knowing yourself. That may be a very good basis for a future relationship, it may also mean that you don't have a real need for a relationship.

Your first reading:
Not going out of the gate and the courtyard
Brings misfortune.
Sweet limitation brings good fortune.
Going brings esteem.
Perhaps you're not going out much, so that you don't get much opportunities to meet possible soulmates?

elizabeth

visitor
Reaction score
Hi ewald,

Thanks for the reply. It is true, I don't go out much. I stopped doing that, because the efforts weren't worth the rewards (which were null). To your first point, I do think I know myself more than most people (with mates) know themselves...this whole situation is just very strange to me, so I'm trying to make heads and tails of it.

I will put in some effort into going out again, and see if that helps...

Thanks again for the reply :)

-E.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Just moving this thread to the 'readings' area. It's a lovely one - thank you, Elizabeth.

I'm a bit late, but anyway - 27.6 is about being the source of nourishment. Only contrast it with its mirror image, 27.1, which is about the disaster of looking elsewhere for nourishment. Being your own source, though, is 'dangerous'. How come? I think it's because there's no safety net - you're exposed. No-one else to reflect back a glowing image of you when you start thinking you need to be thinner/ fatter/ more outgoing/ ... . Also, no-one else to absorb the darkness - no-one to attribute the dodgy decisions to. You are what you eat, and you are the source of nourishment. You're the terrain, you're the sprout. (20.5 realises something similar, I think.)

:eek:!!
But also good fortune, harvest from crossing the great river. You're ideally placed to commit to something new, embark on the journey into uncharted territory.

I think all the other readings support this. You carry your own nourishment in the vessel; other people's afflictions can't touch it. You can see all your experience as something of your own creation. Time to go out of the gates!

elizabeth

visitor
Reaction score
stepping out of the gate!

Hilary, thank you for the post. It is honor to have your presence on this thread! And even moreso your interpretation, which sounds more encouraging.

I'm preparing to open the gate and step out... thanks!

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).