...life can be translucent

Menu

Survey Question

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
As I suspect posters would like to get as many responces as possible I thought it might be useful if people would let us know what sort of questions you are most apt to comment on.

Posts I am less likely to respond to: yes or no questions, multiple questions in one post, any question involving the word soulmate.

Posts I usually reply to : questions where the seeker has written out the words of the text for me so I don't have to look them up, and questions where the seeker has posted their own interpretation first.

rosada

Last edited:

my_key

visitor
Reaction score
The single most thing that attracts me to reply to a post are where the "seeker" has had the courage to post their own understanding of what the Yi is saying to them. Even, or maybe especially, when that understanding is misted over by emotion and confusion. Taking that first step oneself is a huge act of bravery and that bravery deserves reward.

Some context around the question can be helpful.

The biggest turn off is multiple questions in one post......take that finger off the trigger.:)

Mike

bamboo

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I tend to respond if I think the querent seems really authentic in wanting to know what others think. ( but I guess that can be a subjective judgement ) But sometimes a reading seems so obvious, and i think querent is just fishing for affirmations...which is okay, except it seems like they need convincing.That is a place where the querent realy needs to trust their own heart/intuition

I also avoid multiple questions in one post. it's too confusing and also It makes me wonder if the querent hasnt really pondered the first question. there is usually enough meat in the first response for at least a day or hour of pondering.

I tend to answer posts that are interesting, the ones that address unusual questions, or questions deeply related to them personally with a great need to know; such as in questions about doing job interviews correctly, negotiating with difficult spouses, questions about losing a home, health. In those kinds questions, the need can be dire, and support is vital...emotion can be so heightened that a querent might not trust their own understanding, and needs objective eyes.

i aswer posts where the querent seems confused and worried, perhaps on the threshold of a decision.

BUT, sometimes posts get very few responses because the first person to answer has said what needed to be said, no need to belabor and no need to pull it apart.

pink_mandolin

visitor
Reaction score
Not too sure yet....

I'm quite new (just since last year reading the I-ching itself) so i'm not so fussy about what I choose, I usually choose using eenie-meanie-miny-mo :D I just randomly choose one and have a go. So I don't really mind. So I'll take the questions like "how big is my grannies underwear"! & let the more experienced readers handle the "big stuff" :rofl:

I just wanted to add that I actually enjoy reading the emotional or relationship questions... I made a joke above but I enjoy just helping in whatever way I can.....

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
good question Rosada, maybe it should be a sticky. will post my thoughts later.

M

meng

I have no criteria per se, it's whatever grabs my interest for whatever reason in that moment. It also depends on whether questions are lying dormant or if others are offering their assistance. I believe too many hands in the kitchen (in a single thread) at once usually just creates confusion for the querent. If there appears to be particularly productive dialogue and guidance going on between a querent and another helpful member, I'll respect that, and at least for the time will stay clear of it.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
A couple of people elsewhere have raised the issue of whether one sees this as 1. a place to come and get help or 2. a place to discuss readings, there is a difference. Some see it obviously as more the first than the second, i see it ideally as far more the second. They will always overlap of course., but I'd very much withdraw from the first if thats all it was...since I'm in no position to give 'help' all I can do is offer some discussion on a reading., which might help ...also I want to hear others views on a reading, thats what makes it interesting

If it were my reading I'd be glad if as many people with differing people piled in and if a lively discussion followed I'd think that was fine. Thats happened to me and I've never for one moment felt confused by conflicting readings.., and I'd like to think those interested in the Yi were capable of appreciating differing thoughts without their brains short circuiting. In the end consulting the Yi is a solitary thing and once others opinions on a reading are digested one goes away and takes the final decision oneself. I'd hope noone came here to be told what to do or went away with the idea that people here could tell them what to do.

To answer Rosadas question directly yup pretty much the same as others. I'm more likley to respond if someone seems to have already engaged with their answer on some level at least for above reasons and I steer clear of the multiple question list :zzz: and also the word 'soulmate'..I don't know why the word is so repellant to me exactly but I'm glad you find it so too Rosada :rofl:

unlike you Rosada I find people quoting the text of their answer kinda irritating, I don't need it, seems a waste of time and space...but just shows we're all different cos you find it useful !

Last edited:

amalia

visitor
Reaction score
My own priority in choosing the thread is simply the hex. that was obtained as a result. I think I can maybe say something useful if I have a long, personal experience with that hex. I am not an I Ching expert, and I cannot say I am deep into chinese culture, but I consult the Oracle since I was six; and there are some hex. I am truly acquainted with. And YES, I must admit the word "soulmate" has something repellant in it to me also...

lilylotus

visitor
Reaction score
I am new and then I would say when I feel to answer a text probably would start in order , who placed first.

Why everybody hates the world soul mate, it has such a beautiful meaning, specially so beautiful when people still believes they exist (even if hurts)..I love that world..W soul mates, ! and I specially thank Pink Mandolin, it has made me smile lot of times with the interpretations,and also so compassionate trying to help me out because understood if I am asking so much I must be in a big mess..

pink_mandolin

visitor
Reaction score
lily & trojan

lily, your welcome your the best judge on your readings! Anyway glad I could give some imput and it was at least helpful! I don't think anyone here would judge you as being in a big mess for asking lots of questions! In that case a lot of us are in one huge mess! (myself included) :) I have seen a lot of compassionate people in clarity, it creates a good atmosphere!

*Trojan I think the forum should be a place to discuss readings and learn from the lines, not just for the person needing imput but for the reader- person giving imput too! I've learned a heck of a lot from giving! Its helping me with my own readings! :brickwall: So all in all i think its good to give what you can in whatever way you can! even if you feel it might not help! As most of the time if you have the courage to share it! it usually does!

I also like to hear lots of different ideas about the casts! not just one persons that way there's some diversity! & you can bounce ideas around which eventually assist the querent (can't spell that!) & everyone else!

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
*Trojan I think the forum should be a place to discuss readings and learn from the lines, not just for the person needing imput but for the reader- person giving imput too! I've learned a heck of a lot from giving! Its helping me with my own readings! :brickwall: So all in all i think its good to give what you can in whatever way you can! even if you feel it might not help! As most of the time if you have the courage to share it! it usually does!

I also like to hear lots of different ideas about the casts! not just one persons that way there's some diversity! & you can bounce ideas around which eventually assist the querent (can't spell that!) & everyone else!

Absolutely, that was my point really. I don't see this as a home for the infirm (metaphorically)to be 'helped' but a place we all share perspectives on readings and learn from each other. The further we can get away from the idea of giving others 'readings' here the better IMO. Well others can give readings if they like, i don't I just chuck a few ideas in to kick about with.

I love hearing lots of different takes on casts too.

Last edited:

gene

visitor
Reaction score
First off, I look for posts where few people have replied. Why confuse the issue, unless of course, I have an issue with the issue.

As many have said, multiple questions make it hard to focus. It is too much to comment on, and often, the second and third question are asked because one does not understand the first answer. The first answer is the only one that should be taken into consideration, unless it is truly a completely different quest with the second, third, and beyond question. Also, multiple questions imply distrust or mistrust in the words of the text.

Finally, it is necessary to be clear as to what the actual question is. There are sometimes questions asked that make no sense to anyone except the person that asked the question. Be as clear as possible as to exactly what it is you want to know.

Finally, if one is excessively critical of the answer given, it is not likely I am going to respond again.

Gene

el_2

visitor
Reaction score
Well I haven't ventured to give help yet as I'm still very much new to the Yi. But what I find interesting in this discussion so far is that no one has said that they find questions about what someone else thinks or feels off-putting. When I first joined this forum I posted one such question. That was the first and the last time I asked the oracle a question about someone else's feelings because I really find the answers to such questions indecipherable.

There are other issues with this kind of questioning of course, which have been addressed elsewhere in this forum so there's no need to go into them now. But I really feel that the Yi is talking to me in the first person hence answers to such questions would make no sense to me. Perhaps those who offer help in interpretation here don't find it so hard or impossible.

el_2

pink_mandolin

visitor
Reaction score
El! Emotions :)

El, I have only been playing with the I-ching since last year, but I have explored what your talking about with regards to asking about other peoples feelings.

If its someone I don't know I find it difficult to interpret! But if its a close friend or family member I'm concerned about I find it easyier as I'm on the same wavelength, I already know/understand them to a certain level. That helps me in my interpretation.

Also there's that ethical question is it ok to ask about someone elses feelings without their permission! I think that if you donot know someone it makes it a little trickier to understand what they are feeling! I mean with someone you know you can just ask them to confirm so you know your on the right track!

Also feelings change from moment to moment so I'd consider it impossible anyway to interpretate someone elses feelings to a degree where you can completey grasp them, people feel a huge complex array of emotions! If there is a general trend in the way they feel about someone/something you might get a good idea about how they're are feeling! I think thats why its so difficult in my opinion!

An example: You could ask- How does jones feel about me right now?
The yi could reply I dunno 58 unchanging, so you go yeah great joy! & think all is wonderful, but then that person fails to get in touch and it makes no sense! But Jones could have just been remembering a good time with you in that moment you asked! but he was generally however feeling quiet opressed, depressed and sad about you! You ask the same question again and get 47.1, you then think to yourself- oh I must of got the first reading wrong and you end up just doubting and going around in circles! Feelings are VERY complex! because they change constantly! I'm sure you will agree!

Also depending on a persons personality! People are so complex! I'm often laughing and smiling when i'm feeling down, it helps me cope and get through whatevers troubling me! Now imagine as a stranger trying to interpret that! :brickwall::rofl:

Maybe a good question when asking about anothers feelings would be to ask the Yi for an overview of the persons feelings- but again you'd probably get a very complex answer I think! ;)

Last edited:
M

maremaria

I don’t offer a lots of reading due to lack of time and /or knowledge. When I do , its because I think I have to something to say. It comes natural, I meant I don’t force my self to find what this hex is or line about. Those are the times I trust my ideas and post them.

I don’t like either, as some said earlier, multiple questions threads, where the “seeker” asks 5-10 questions and then after saying a plain thanks another set of questions follows. I need to see personal Involvement from the querents side.

emme

visitor
Reaction score
As a junior member and novice I do not yet submit advice to others ( I can hardly interpret the basics myself yet) but I do eagerly read some posts that catch my eye for learning purposes. This helps me quite a lot in familiarizing myself with the whole IC logic and possible perspectives on a matter.
The posts that attract me are usually the ones with the most inspired/funny or unusual titles ( sorry if that sounds kinda fickle!) but the name is the game :cool:
Also I don't mind the word soulmate as long as the rest of the sentence peeks my interest.
cheers !

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Felt I ought to explain my "soulmate" issue..
Actually I think it is a wonderful word and a beautiful idea. I'm protesting those who use it in their postings to persuade us their somewhat doubtful situation is unique and therefore worthy of an I Ching consult, i.e. "I met this dude in a bar and yes he's married with two kids but... I just know he is my soulmate!!"

rosie

Last edited:

el_2

visitor
Reaction score
Pink Mandolin

I'm not being judgemental here. Anyone can ask whatever they like. But questions about others' feelings don't get a meaningful answer for me. And I thought that there'd be quite a few people who'd shun such posts because it makes it tough to help with interpretation.

el_2

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Pink Mandolin

I'm not being judgemental here. Anyone can ask whatever they like. But questions about others' feelings don't get a meaningful answer for me. And I thought that there'd be quite a few people who'd shun such posts because it makes it tough to help with interpretation.

el_2

You are right, I forgot to mention that one...yes i think I pretty much avoid questions about others feelings..I don't think you are being judgmental...and heck what if you were, we can all answer what questions we want and Rosada was just asking us what our personal preferences were., we don't have to justify those to anyone.

Last edited:

pink_mandolin

visitor
Reaction score
El_2

I'm very open minded with regards to questions whatever they may be, I'll have a go at answering anything really! So Cheerfully abstaining from the feelings questions debate :) Also I wouldn't judge you as judgemental you're very much entitled to your opinion! & your choice about what you answer/don't answer :D

zhan1

visitor
Reaction score
I tend to avoid the posts that are too rambling or incoherent. Forum members need some background to work with, but not an entire life story. On the other hand, if a querent only posts their question and the hexagram they received, it's really not enough for me to understand their situation, so there should be some balance between too little and too much detail.

edge

visitor
Reaction score
I just wanted to say thank you for the feedback, its really useful for us newbies to know how to make our questions more useful for the wonderful people that are helping us. When I do a reading for myself I usually consult two different translations and have made up my mind about what I think the reading means, but often I haven't included my own interpretation when I ask for help because I'm not confident in my understanding or because I'm just interested if anyone else has a different take. In future I will include my interpretation first before requesting help! I'm also going to steer clear of multiple questions, even when I'm tempted! :)
E

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
I just want to add that while I am considered an "old timer" I totally respect, enjoy, learn from the postings of those who may consider themselves "newbies." If a person has a feeling to respond to a post I certainly hope they will not hold back thinking they somehow have to read a few more books first.. God speaks to all of us directly in our own language. You may not yet be fluent in I Ching, but your insights are totally valid.

rosada

M

meng

Well I haven't ventured to give help yet as I'm still very much new to the Yi. But what I find interesting in this discussion so far is that no one has said that they find questions about what someone else thinks or feels off-putting. When I first joined this forum I posted one such question. That was the first and the last time I asked the oracle a question about someone else's feelings because I really find the answers to such questions indecipherable.

I know of nothing more ready, willing and able to decipher feelings than the Yi. It becomes our responsibility to do so ethically.

This brings up the argument of intent: does the Yi examine the intent of the querent, or are Yi's answers mechanically pragmatic?

tigerintheboat

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Practice

One well written question attracts me to try and interpret and help.... (ten questions in the same post defeats me from even trying!)

Questions asking for predictions (fortune telling) don't attract me because the future is not fixed...particularly questions about relationships where there is another sentient being involved.

Sometimes I pick a question that I can answer in a short time, because that is all the time I have. But I try to do something, as often as possible, because I need the practice.:)

Tiger

M

meng

For me, multiple questions aren't a biggie, so long as the querent doesn't expect me to break it all down for them. Deciphering them is kinda fun, like doing a crossword puzzle. Plus, altogether they form one big picture or story. Yes, it can also be reckless, thoughtless and shallow, but I don't assume that based just on the number of questions. I also ask multiple questions sometimes to sort something out.

S

superstar

I feel that's something's up and that my ex's is warming up to me. I asked some questions to get insights on the progress with my situation. I intend to hope for phone call/email/text until end December (time frame clues from previous readings). If nothing happens I'll let it go.

Something is up and I'm curious so I asked:

Does Neil want to be with me again?
Hexagram 11 line 3 changes into Hexagram 19

Will my estranged BF Neil make an effort to reconnect with me?
Hexagram 8 (unchanged)
(I know this means union but I get confused with the part of that poor guy Feng Fang whatshisname who comes too late and gets his head cut off. I'm wondering if it relates to Neil that he'll come to late and he'll find my door locked?)

Because I got confused with 8 unchanged I asked:
Will Neil make the first move to get together with me again?
Hexagram 8 line 1 changes into Hexagram 3

What should I do to have success in winning Neil back?
Hexagram 31 line 5 changes into Hexagram 62

Will the present estrangement and misunderstanding between me and Neil clear up?
Hexagram 40 line 2 changes into Hexagram 16

What are Neil's feelings for me at present?
Hexagram 4 line 3 turns into Hexagram 64

Will Neil want to pursue a relationship with me?
Hexagram 51 line 1 and line 6 changes into Hexagram 16

Can anyone help please? Thanks M

lucia

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Superstar

What do you think your readings mean? And why (after usinng the site for a few months now) do you post in such funny places?

Tell us what you think they mean - that would be good no?

Lucia

M

meng

From the readings it looks like he's taking things as they come, that he's pretty happy about joining with you and this relationship so far. There's some good and strong value being shared, I'd say.

There's a counter balance in your relating hexagrams - 3, 62, 64 - weighing smaller things as being of equal importance. Quickest way to spook lovebirds is to make noise. Joy is in the moment.

lucia

visitor
Reaction score
And to answer the survey....................

I answer for a variety of reasons. Sometimes it is because I recognise the lines and am familiar with them and have experiences with them.

Sometimes, like Meng says, it is like a puzzle to get into.

Sometimes it is because I like the question or I empathise with what the querent is experiencing.

I too have a problem with soulmates - never mind that it presupposes a soul - it takes away responsibility for directing your own life and assumes that hormones rule!

Sometimes it is because it is raining and I don't want to go out!

Sometimes (particularly with one querent who shows up from time to time) it is because she makes me laugh - she is playing a slightly tongue in cheek role and her humour is sharp!

Sometimes it is because I am groping towards an understanding and I want to bounce off other peoples answers and for them to bounce off mine - that's great for learning.

In the mood or not in the mood also plays a part.....

Lucia

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).